Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Belt squeal?
Topic Started: Jan 8 2009, 09:36 PM (1,747 Views)
BiggJames

Well when i start my metro the belt squeals like hell. Then it will go aways after about 30 seconds. then if i hit the brakes it squeals again. and when i turn the headlights or any accessories on the belt squeals and the headlights and dash lights dim for about 30 seconds? the altenator bad?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

First the basics.............

Check battery terminals for corrosion or looseness.
Load test battery and replace if bad.
Remove that alternator main wire, clean connection, reinstall.
Test alternator with voltmeter.

Finally, get rid of that old belt and replace it with a Goodyear Gatorback alternator belt. Available at AutoZone or Check here........
http://www.goodyearep.com/locatorrp.aspx

Rooy

Also check the belt tension. They need to be fairly tight to not squeal in my experience. Manual says .024"-.031" @ 22 lbs pressure, tested in the middle of the front belt run.

z34-5speed
Member Avatar
Formerly "Tech Certified"

I had a similar problem with mine. I just had to have a friend put all his weight onto the alt while i tightened it. It never squeaked after that.

gangsta_money23
[ *  * ]
either tighten or replace the belt. same thing happened is my gfs car a while back, all it needed was a good tightening

r12methane
R12METHANE
[ *  *  * ]
Put some coolant dye in the radiator and check waterpump to see if it is starting to leak.The You can check it by buying a penlite with a blue lens..It may be leaking out the pee hole on the bottom or from the gasket..Loosen the timing cover and check in there too..Also it may be getting oil on it from the crank,cam seal or the oil pan leaking ...

PushnFords

I have the squeel at startup but not the other times. I just bought a Gatorback belt on eBay this week for under $8 shipped. The seller had a few more left. Look up the part number somewhere like www.autozone.com and then search eBay Motors for that part number.

Derek

Ryan
Member Avatar
Ryan

Mine did the same thing last winter (had the original belt too). I replaced it with that cheap AutoZone belt. It worked until the next morning. Tightend it down further and it never came back. Did the same thing with the Goodyear belt I have this winter. Cured. I heard these models are notorious for this problem.

Ryan
Member Avatar
Ryan

PushnFords
Jan 9 2009, 08:25 PM
I have the squeel at startup but not the other times. I just bought a Gatorback belt on eBay this week for under $8 shipped. The seller had a few more left. Look up the part number somewhere like www.autozone.com and then search eBay Motors for that part number.

Derek
Awesome. That's about what I paid for mine from Parts Plus online. Let me know, however, how that belt works out for you. The guy at the local import shop dislikes the criss-cross design. He recommended a Gates belt from NAPA. So far, I'm keeping the Gatorback.

PushnFords

Ryan
Jan 10 2009, 03:10 PM
Awesome. That's about what I paid for mine from Parts Plus online. Let me know, however, how that belt works out for you. The guy at the local import shop dislikes the criss-cross design. He recommended a Gates belt from NAPA. So far, I'm keeping the Gatorback.
I'll let you know. I didn't really want to tighten my current belt anymore than it is...just puts a lot of strain on the water pump and alternator. I'm running a Gatorback on my Ranger and have put them on a few other vehicles and always had great luck with them.

Derek

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply