Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1992 Geo Brochure pics
Topic Started: Jun 9 2009, 08:58 AM (905 Views)
geocat32987
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here are some scanned images of my 1992 geo brochure. There are sections describing the other models but I just scanned the metro pages. I really question the fashion choices of the models they hired for these photos... :-/

It's a little tough to read the text so you may view them in my teamswift album: http://www.teamswift.net/gallery/album.php?album_id=26

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

They keep showing the interior with the seatbelts buckled... why is that? :hmm

The last page of the book talks about "Geo's commitment to the environment" and how Chevrolet has done such a good job engineering these small low-emission cars. I couldn't help laughing while reading it, as these fuel-efficient cars were all made by Japanese rivals. It also said that GM developed the catalytic converter, I did not know that.
Edited by geocat32987, Jun 12 2009, 06:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bennie442

To kill the idiot light depicting that your nonexistent passenger hasn't buckled up. I got soooo tired of that damn red light on while driving. Cruising along and the light catches your eye, and, of course, the immediate response to a red light on the dash is panic, something is wrong. Oh, just that seat belt light. Can you say "piece of electrical tape"?

MetroMatt

For some reason that makes me laugh.

metrodriver
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the pictures, I was going to post pix from the 1991 brochure but never got around to it. The cars are pretty similar so I may not, but then again...

Dave

geocat32987
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
maybe you should just drive with the passenger belt buckled then...

I'm guessing you have the "automatic" belts. Mine doesn't light up for the passenger seat.

metromad

Or reach under the passenger seat and undo the connector! :thumb

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Thanks, geocat32987

Sexy little beasts! :wub:

I disconnect the wire under the seat to eliminate the seatbelt light. :(

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

Yeah, there is a good example of early 90s fashion. I just love how the photographer desaturated the background a little and way over saturated the cars to make them stand out more. 90s marketing... How did we ever survive to see the 2000s...

Woodie
Member Avatar

geocat32987
Jun 9 2009, 08:58 AM

They keep showing the interior with the seatbelts buckled... why is that? :hmm
Because they are "passive" belts that put themselves on as you close the door, you're never supposed to unbuckle them. The Feds mandated passive restraint and in a desperate attempt to avoid putting in air bags (expensive, and not quite ready, the manufacturers knew they would kill small people) they came up with all sorts of schemes to get a belt on you without your help. Never mind that actually getting in with that belt in the way is awkward as hell, good chance you're going face first into the steering wheel. That's also the reason for the automatic door locks on the MK3 cars. Someone at the NHTSA decided that an automatic seat belt connected to the door isn't much good if the door flies open in a wreck.

Fortunately, Suzuki designed a belt that worked somewhat as a passive design, but added a buckle that could be used as a perfectly functional manual design.

geocat32987
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh wow, I just did some research on the door-mounted belts and was really surprised at all of the articles about the injuries and lawsuits that ensued because of them. It mentioned people being "clotheslined" and decapitated in accidents without wearing the lower portion of the belt. :x Apparently in the 70s, car makers were mandated to install either airbags or automatic belts in all of their U.S. cars, and like Woodie mentioned, the belts were less expensive. GM came up with the awkward belts that no one actually used in the intended fashion, and had to display them buckled in ads at all times or face steep fines.

Here's an interesting page that goes in depth on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/15/style/consumer-s-world-gm-is-challenged-over-seat-belts.html

--"He said that the General Motors belt ''is so inconvenient that is is virtually never used as intended.'' He went on: ''We've done surveys in parking lots and found that 100 percent of the belts are disconnected. Even at G.M.'s technical center, the belts in the cars we saw weren't connected.''

To get some idea of how widely automatic seat belts were being disconnected and displayed in an unbuckled condition by car dealers - a violation of Federal law - the Federal highway safety agency reported that it surveyed several hundred dealerships. Tim Hurd, an agency spokesman, said that letters of reprimand - he did not say how many - had been sent to those dealerships. The agency can also impose a $1,000 fine as well, but has not, Mr. Hurd said."

I suppose they couldn't find any way to install an automatic belt in the convertibles, thus the drivers airbags.
Edited by geocat32987, Jun 12 2009, 06:41 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pictures/Videos · Next Topic »
Add Reply