Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Surges at Idle; My Car surges at idle...intermittently
Topic Started: Aug 12 2009, 11:41 PM (1,781 Views)
ninthrazor
[ *  * ]
1991 Geo Metro
1.0L Manual
2 Dr/Hatch

:fon My car surges at idle...intermittently. I could not get my car thru the "emission testing" req'd by Washington state law because the idle was too high at the time (somewhere around 2000 rpm). I checked all my vacuum lines and found some starting to crack, so I replaced them with non-kinking hose. I did notice in the air cleaner there is a tiny hole which is sucking air. This little hole is right next to a brass probe. When I plug that little hole, my car's idle drops to what it should be. Is that where my IDLE AIR CONTROL gets its reading from? Would anything bad happen if I just plug that little hole completely permanently? By plugging that hole, does that directly indicate a bad IDLE AIR CONTROL? Thanks for your help. :hmm

:type Geoff :ermm:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MetroMatt

Shouldn't hurt anything if you plug it. but I don't think that will make you pass emissions. I also live in Washington I've through DEQ a few times so I know it can be a pain in the ass if you don't pass. What is your metro timed at?

crankcase

Sounds like you have a classic Metro problem. Trace the vacuum line from the brake booster all the way back to throttle body. Look for a clog or hole in either of the rubber hoses (a portion is metal tube, but there are rubber hoses at each end). This is a common problem.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Welcome to the forum, ninthrazor! :coffee

On my air cleaner that little hole, which comes up through the bottom is attached to what's called the "silencer." That is the black plastic cylinder in the picture that is connected to a fitting on the TB.
Posted Image
FYI the brass thingy is the Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT).
But follow crankcase's advice. :thumb

ninthrazor
[ *  * ]
:news FYI, I did end up plugging the hole and I passed my emissions, but thanks for the heads up about possibly not passing. I am just glad I did. :cheers Right after the test, I pulled the plug out of the hole and off I went with an idle around 1500 - 2000 rpm...surging of course :) I will check those lines and let you know what I find. Thank you all for your help. :drivin

Metro_caon
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ninthrazor
Aug 17 2009, 02:47 PM
:news FYI, I did end up plugging the hole and I passed my emissions, but thanks for the heads up about possibly not passing. I am just glad I did. :cheers Right after the test, I pulled the plug out of the hole and off I went with an idle around 1500 - 2000 rpm...surging of course :) I will check those lines and let you know what I find. Thank you all for your help. :drivin
I tried plugging this hose from the silencer once but after a while of highway driving, CHECK ENGINE light came on with code 23, I guess the computer does need to know this info. My mileage improved after connecting it in the right place and the CHECK ENGINE light disappeared. High idle continued though. :(

ninthrazor
[ *  * ]
Bad Bent
Aug 13 2009, 12:31 AM
Welcome to the forum, ninthrazor! :coffee

On my air cleaner that little hole, which comes up through the bottom is attached to what's called the "silencer." That is the black plastic cylinder in the picture that is connected to a fitting on the TB.
Posted Image
FYI the brass thingy is the Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT).
But follow crankcase's advice. :thumb
I tried looking up info about this "silencer" you mentioned...the dealer told me it was called a "Idle Speed Control Valve Silencer"...of course no on has one to buy new. Junk yard here we come.

FYI Part Number is 96061685
UNLESS...someone out there happen to have a Geo they are parting out? This is a black canister located below the air cleaner, connected by vacuum lines. These lines and canister go between the air filter cleaner assy and the Idle Speed Control Valve assy. If anyone has any ideas how to acquire one...taht would be awesome!!!
Geoff
Edited by ninthrazor, Mar 11 2010, 03:24 PM.

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

If I'm looking for spare parts, I contact SamP..he's located in the members. He lives in eastern Michigan and has like 15-20 metros that he parts out. Send him a PM. He's quick to respond.
btw, good work on the find/fix. :thumb
I am working with 2 metros, a 91 and 92. On the 92, the black canister was not connected to the TBI, and the TBI had a plug on that hole. On the 91, the black canister was attached. I was wondering why. This may explain it.

MEgaTRO
Member Avatar
autobot

i have one you can have if you want it. just pm me. but the money you would spend on shipping would be less than if you go to a junkyard preferably a self service one like pink n pull or something, and get one from them.

mine fell off so i got a few from the junkyard. damn cracked vacuum lines.
Edited by MEgaTRO, Mar 11 2010, 06:18 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply