Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Topic Started: Sep 3 2009, 05:32 PM (69,078 Views)
Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Timing belt got you down? :die Just drove out the driveway and your Geo suddenly died? :smackface

Look no further, it could be your timing belt. billy508 says to open the Oil Cap and look inside while a friend cranks the engine. Nothing moving; belt broke.

Time to head to your local friendly parts dealer and get a belt for your Geo. Since your car is not going anywhere you might pull the belt first* and take it to the parts counter and say "I want a new one of these." Make sure you get a matching belt. :banghead

You need at least a 8-17mm socket set and I use a stubby ratchet. Stubby ratchets aren't as long and less torque means fewer stripped nuts & bolts. Plus they fit in small engine bays. ;) The Crankshaft uses a 17mm and Crankshaft pulley 8mm, the others are 12 and 10mm. I also have a 1/2" breaker bar, a set of 1/2" sockets and metric box end wrenches. More tools simply make the job easier. A headlamp helps. I get some tools at Harbor Freight. I use 1/2 drop of white thread seal for reassembly of pulley bolts and a torque wrench. :-/

*Pull the belt. REPLACING A BELT. I Loosen the RF wheel lug nuts and top 'alternator belt adjusting bolt.' Raising the front end makes the job easier. Might want to disconnect the battery? Use frame stands. Remove the RF wheel. Slide under and loosen the 2 lower alternator bolts. Also put the 17mm socket/ratchet on the Crankshaft pulley bolt and use the 8mm to remove the 4-5 pulley bolts.

You can remove the alternator/pump/Crankshaft belt and insert a screwdriver into the water pump pulley to keep it from spinning, remove the 4 10mm bolts. Use the 10mm to remove all the timing cover bolts. Align the lower Crankshaft gear with the timing mark (see pic). Loosen the long tensioner lock bolt (10mm) and tensioner (12mm). Gently slide the timing belt off. The Cam pulley may move a little, note which direction. Gently, slowly inch the belt on with the timing marks aligned both top and bottom sets. See pic. I push on the tensioner a little for a more snug belt and tighten the lock long lock nut. Take the 17mm socket and turn the engine over twice, clockwise, and recheck the timing marks. Aligned? Good, now put it back together. :news
Loosen water pump bolts:
Posted Image
Loosen Crankshaft pulley bolts:
Posted Image
Loosen tensioner:
Posted Image
Timing mark alignment by the book:
Posted Image
Timing alignment in reality:
Posted Image
Photos courtesy of someone else.
Torque: Timing Belt cover bolts: 97 in.lb., Tensioner Bolt: 20 ft.lb., Tensioner Stud: 97 in.lb., Upper Alt bolt: 17 ft.lb., Crankshaft pulley bolts: 12 ft.lb., Water pump pulley:18 ft.lb.
The G10 is a non interference engine. Replacing a broken belt? Turn it over by hand twice and if it doesn't align it may be 180 deg. out. Try rotating the Crankshaft gear 360 CW and try again.
So IMHO... that's my story and I'm open to suggestions. B-)

Edit: If replacing a belt, when aligned, the timing marks are relative to each other, just align them and replace the belt with the same aligned marks. If the belt broke: remove the pulleys/belt cover and pull #1 spark plug and cover the hole with your finger while you rotate the crank shaft with a 17mm socket/ratchet. when you feel compression the crank timing mark/"V" will be a few degrees from aligning and will align at TDC. Align the cam pulley timing marks and install the belt. This is repeated with my technique in post #35.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

billy508
Member Avatar
billy508

:gp If you have a Geo and have not changed the timing belt, you need to down load and save Mr Bents post. . CD, thumb drive, something because you will need it one day and might not be able to connect to the internet Members who take time to write and post such info is what makes Geo Metro Forums the best in the world. What? a over statement? Not at all We have members from all over the world. Thanks Mr Bad Bent :drivin :drivin

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

Great guide! I am glad you did this. Now we need a compression test guide :)

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

yes a very good guide for timing belt replacement
but i think you left out a part ....

do you think that water pump will last for two timing belts ? 120k miles ?
i do not think it will .

if when the water pump fails at 87k miles ... then you get practice replacing the timing belt again ,
or
just replace the water pump when you replace the timing belt .

that is what i do

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

Replacing the water pump is a good idea, but the average person who just wants to get the car running, might take that chance :)

I did not replace the water pump on my 98 or on the wife's 97 when doing the rebuilds. I figured it would not take me long to change them later anyway :thumb

Ar6entino

Hello all, my mom's car makes this loud noise when the car is first turned on or driven cold or for the first few mins. its coming from the belts and I think they need to be replaced. I sprayed some belt conditioner but it did not help. Is this "how to" for those belts? how many are there?

Thanks

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

That noise could be from the timing belt tensioner, the water pump, alternator, or even oil pump. The only way to know for sure is to start the engine and use a mechanics stethoscope or long screwdriver to your ear and probe around to pinpoint the noise. You must be careful doing this or you could get your mullet or whatever caught up in rotating parts.

Ar6entino

I'm pretty sure its from the belts, is there only one belt or multiple ones? how much do they cost? its for a 96 4 door geo metro

thanks

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

Well, if the car has A/C then there is the A/C belt and the alternator belt. The timing belt is hidden under a cover. You can remove the A/C belt and start the car and see if the noise goes away.

Ar6entino

The car does have A/C, how can i tell which one is which? is there a how to on how to replace these and how to tighten them after afterwards?

Thanks

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

Just to add a little more info on the timing belt change, sometimes the engine may have been replaced with a newer or older engine than what the vehicle year is. If you look at the timing drawing you will see that that engine has a stamped out cam gear. This was used from 89 through early 93 models. There is only one timing mark on it so can't get put in wrong. These also have squared teeth on the pulleys and the belt. The later model 93 untill 95 had the cast cam pulley like the picture. It has two timing marks and can be hard to figure which one you need to line up with. There is a small line up dowel on the end of the camshaft and depending on how it was bolted to the pulley decides which mark to have up. The dowel needs to be straight down which will put it 180 degrees from the mark that lines up with the valve cover. If you look at the picture you'll see that the cam gear and bottom pulley have rounded teeth and so does the belt. This would be for a mid 93 all the way up till they quit making the 1.0. The 96 and newer used a 1'' belt whereas the 89-95 used a 3/4'' belt. Ken...

gotama420
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
good post on timing the geo really helpfull.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

Glad we could help!

hunter8657
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Do u have to take the motor out? What type of skill level does it take to do it yourself.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

No need to remove engine. It's pretty simple to do even for a DIY person.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply