Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Armrest Mod in '95-'01 Geo Metro; 1st Gen Neon Armrest in 2nd Gen Metro
Topic Started: Nov 5 2009, 12:49 PM (15,989 Views)
mjspiess
Member Avatar

This is my first post, so I figured I'd introduce myself as well. I've lurked this site for the past year after I bought my '95 Geo Metro. It's from Texas, so no rust! :) Unfortunately, last spring it started overheating... I replaced the whole cooling system part by part, but the damage had been done. I replaced the head gasket & had the head redone this summer. Thanks to Johnny Mullet's tutorial, it was pretty easy! Now it runs like a champ! Now onto my armrest mod :)

I recently discovered over at TeamSwift.net, that a few members retro fit a 1st gen Dodge Neon center console into their 1st gen Metro/Swift. I figured it would work pretty well in the 2nd gen Metro as well seeing as how they are so similar. I think it turned out pretty well, but I'll let you guys be the judge.

Here is a side by side pic of the Neon & Metro center consoles. I picked it up at a local junk yard for $25. It was from a '95 2 door automatic. As you can see, the Neon console is quite a bit longer and wider...
Posted Image

And this is how it ended up looking after many attempts at keeping the cup holders...I just couldn't get it to work. Apparently 1st Gen owners are able to keep the cup holders!
Posted Image

I pretty much traced the OEM hand brake section and then made a slite angle toward the curved part using a dremel.
Posted Image

Here is the back end. I cut down quite a bit so it sites pretty flush with the hump between the seats.
Posted Image

After cutting down so far, I kinda regretted it because the bucket under the armrest was hitting the e-brake lever so I remeverd the metal bracket to give me a bit more room.
Posted Image

Here it is installed! As you can see, I kept the front console of the Metro around the shifter and "molded" the Neon console around it. (Sorry, it was really sunny today)
Posted Image

I tapped a screw in each side at the front to keep it a bit more stable & from sliding.
Posted Image

Rear shot...
Posted Image

And other side view...
Posted Image

Hope you guys enjoy! We can finally ride in comfort!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Welcome to the forum, mjspiess! :coffee
While I think that might work for my '91 I still have a 9 pound Dog that wants to get to her bed on the back seat. :lol
But your work looks so nice, perhaps her runway can be modified, thanks for the post. :thumb
Posted Image Gracie's runway.
I use Krylon Fusion paint on my car's plastic parts and dash... like the yellow on the e-brake in the pic. B-)

billy508
Member Avatar
billy508

:gp :gp Good job. Great pics and well written. Welcome!! be sure to KOP (Keep on posting). Really looks like it came out well. Think I will do it to mine. :banana :banana :banana

mjspiess
Member Avatar

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with it. I searched all over for armrest possibilities and saw your's Bad Bent, but wanted to try to stay as OEM as possible. Then I spotted the Neon possibility, found a nearby junk yard & started grinding away. It's a shame the cup holder part couldn't really work...once you guys pull up the front console part you'll see why...there's some silver ECU looking thing that gets in the way & also there wasn't enough room to slip the ebrake handle through the slot along with the shifter through the hole without removing the seats.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Great intro! That silver box in the way of the cup holders is the airbag module. I bet it can be relocated to make the cupholders useable.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

metro_fiend
Member Avatar
where Geos come to die

aw man , im all over this mod. The only thing i dont like is the end where its by the gear shift. I may try to do this myself and play around with it

mjspiess
Member Avatar

I thought it might be the airbag module, but didn't think about relocating it...that's not a bad idea. I wasn't too hiped about the end either, but sitting inside it looks pretty good. If I did it again, I might try to leave the rim all the way around the shifter first to see how it fit. My other thought was cutting it down at the same angle as the black Metro console for a more flush fit, but there'd still be a gap between Neon & Metro consoles due to the bucket hitting the ebrake. It could prob. work, but the arm rest end would have to be higher than the front end which I don't think I'd like.

Advice for others: trim as little as possible at the beginning b/c once it's gone, it's gone!

LoudGeo

now just get some of these to cover the screws and you will never know...

http://www.pro-dec.com/Silver-Grey-SNAP-CAPS-8-8-172

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Nice looking mod. If the wires going to the brain are bright assed yellow, it is the air bag sensor. I just had to spend a bunch of time removing it from the Starr. Nice job, and welcome to the forum

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

does anyone have pictures of this done in a 94 or earlier metro? I want to see how it looks before I spend the cash to buy one ie with cupholders intact.

VERY cool mod. its really got me drooling!

mjspiess
Member Avatar

Check out teamswift.net, search for "New Console Idea!! W/ PICS" & JimboJohnson's album. He has 2 pics of one in his 1st Gen. I think those were the only pictures I could find though. I'd like to see some more pics. too! I'm always up for new ideas. FYI...all you really need is a console where the ebrake slot is in the center. I'm sure there are other consoles out there that'd work. It feels so great to be able to lean on either side now! My wife & will be taking a road trip this weekend in the "new" luxary Metro B-)

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

I found that but there are no pics in the thread. :-(

mjspiess
Member Avatar

Click on JimboJohnson's album. The pics. are in his album, not within the forum. He's the 15th post down. He has 2 pages within his album...one shot with the console completely installed looking from the back seat & one with his seats out looking from the passenger side.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

damn. That looks pretty nice! I think I am going to have to hunt me one of the consoles :-)

Potter
Member Avatar
Col. Potter

billy508
Nov 5 2009, 03:30 PM
:gp :gp Good job. Great pics and well written. Welcome!! be sure to KOP (Keep on posting). Really looks like it came out well. Think I will do it to mine. :banana :banana :banana
:+1

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply