Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Original GEO Key - where to get?
Topic Started: Nov 21 2009, 10:52 PM (2,734 Views)
nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

My metro came with what I assume is an original key. its brass colored flat metal no rubber or plastic and has GEO imprinted on it.

HOW do I get more of these? where can I get them?

here is a pic of my key

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dallas

dealer with your vin number

or wait... you have a key, just go get one cut!
Edited by Dallas, Nov 22 2009, 03:32 AM.

bennie442

I have found that these keys are a bit of a one off item( longer stem than usual). You will need to shop a few of the usual suspects, ie. ,Lowes, Home Despot, K-Mart etc. Just make sure that when you find a vendor that you get an extra or two as these key blanks may be going the way out. Shopped for any 12" tires lately?

JohnDN

I'd say have Ace Hardware make one for you, that's where I get mine made and they work great. Whenever I get one made at Walmart (no matter what type of key) it either doesn't work or you have to jiggle it around the lock for a minute or two like your trying to break in.

billy508
Member Avatar
billy508

Be very careful when you have a key made. A Geo key is not very wide at the end. If they nick the center bar, there is a very good chance it will break. Most of the time when a Geo key breaks it is just the end.. Look at your key and maybe you can see what I mean. Most of the time I pay a bit more and go to the locksmith to have keys made. I lost the key to my 61 vet one time and they made me one from the glove box lock. You can not do it any more as they dont have the same amount of pins as the ign. It was much easier bring him the glove box lock than the whole car. LOL :banana :banana :banana

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I think he wants a "real" Geo key, not just a copy made.

Nerys, cut yo finga nailz!

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Yah, Coche, beat me to the punch :) I think he is actually looking for authentic original key blanks to have the key cut from.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

yes exactly (and I like my nails just fine thanks :-)

right now everywhere I go the key is like this one 290371990756 (ebay) but with a rubber hear. I want blanks that LOOK LIKE MINE ie the flat metal GEO embossed key.

Choppydrivesageo
Member Avatar

bennie442
Nov 22 2009, 05:47 AM
I have found that these keys are a bit of a one off item( longer stem than usual). You will need to shop a few of the usual suspects, ie. ,Lowes, Home Despot, K-Mart etc. Just make sure that when you find a vendor that you get an extra or two as these key blanks may be going the way out. Shopped for any 12" tires lately?
Tires and keys are a b**** to find for this car!

wikityler
Member Avatar
Some say...

A dealer will be the only place that will sell a branded key, and you will have to find a place with some NOS. Prepare to pay about $15, plus cost for cutting.

96Geoman

billy508
Nov 22 2009, 08:53 AM
Be very careful when you have a key made. A Geo key is not very wide at the end. If they nick the center bar, there is a very good chance it will break. Most of the time when a Geo key breaks it is just the end.. Look at your key and maybe you can see what I mean. Most of the time I pay a bit more and go to the locksmith to have keys made. I lost the key to my 61 vet one time and they made me one from the glove box lock. You can not do it any more as they dont have the same amount of pins as the ign. It was much easier bring him the glove box lock than the whole car. LOL :banana :banana :banana
My original Geo key was broken in half. The other half was in the ignition. The factory key was cut too much in the center. I took my ignition, door locks and rear hatch lock to a locksmith and had a new key made. I told the locksmith to rekey the locks so the key was thick in the middle. The downside to this is that the $100 rekey service exceeded the value of the car lol

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

exceeded the value of the car? any DRIVABLE geo is worth tens of thousands of dollars.

My geo saves me minimum $200-250 a month in gas - if I figure I will have an electric car inside of 10 years my geo is worth MINIMUM $30,000 just in gas savings :-)

I paid $600 for it $140 for papers and about $400 in parts (more but much of it was not REQUIRED parts but DESIRED parts)

thats $1140 by Feburary the car is free :-)

bogs
Member Avatar

Well, that is sure some interesting logic there boyo :lol

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

well the way I see it. No metro means I spend $30,000 more dollars running my jeep or my van. Keeping the metro means $30 grand stays in my pocket over the next 10 years. Seems like sensible logic to me :-)

bogs
Member Avatar

Oh, I *understood* what you meant, however despite it saving you 10 grand a year doesn't make the car *worth* ten grand. Don't get me wrong, I like em and all that, but for instance, I recently had the displeasure of meeting a gent that had a metro that looked like it got between two rollers (both sides had extremely large dents in them).

He wanted to sell the car for $1400. It was my favorite year Metro (1995), it was my favorite color (white) and it only had 96000 miles on the clock.

I don't care how well it runs (and it did run well) I would not have given him $1400 for a hugely dented metro when there are examples around that are far less in both cost and damage :lol

Somethings 'value' is really whatever it is to you. There are a lot more valuable Mustangs around than my Mach 1, but you couldn't put a value on my car to me simply because of its emotional worth. That car has been in my family almost as long as I have, and I've enjoyed polishing it since I was a little gear-head knee high to a monkey wrench heh heh.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply