Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kats heater install
Topic Started: Dec 12 2009, 05:59 PM (3,725 Views)
mark alan
[ *  *  * ]
Hello everyone. Just got my katz 1000 watt block heater, and want to make sure I install it right. Looked at the pics in other threads. I go from line on/in firewall to bottom of heater, and top of heater to line in bottom radiator hose where firewall hose originally went to? Just want to check. Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Well, let's see if this helps. Katz should have had a "Y" and a "T" connector.
1996 Geo: I installed the "T" in the lower heater line between the black tube and the heater. Simple splice, remove 1/2-3/4 inch of old tube. The bottom of the "T" aimed at the bottom of the Katz and new hose going to the Katz bottom or inlet.
The "Y" is inserted where the hose comes out of the heater core and into the Throttle body and the bottom of the "Y" is aimed at the TB. The heater core hose and the Katz merge and go to the TB.
1996 Geo:
Posted Image

I did the 1991 a little different but this seems to work best.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

The first time I hooked it up, I went right to the heater hoses and it worked well for a while. Later, I tapped into the radiator with some adapters and this was the trick.

mark alan
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for the reply's. The color coding is awesome Bad Bent. Think I got it now!

mark alan
[ *  *  * ]
This is what I did:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Look right? Red is from top of Katz, blue is to bottom. Pics 5 &6 are what worry me. The hose next to "marked red" one is from thermostat. Please tell me I used the right one?

And to plug it in, I had an outdoor plug I put under the bumper:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Paint it black and you might never see it.
Edited by mark alan, Dec 13 2009, 06:58 PM.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I like that plug!

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Speaking of Kat's, I bought the lower radiator hose one from local parts house for $20. Dunno how it compares to the heater core one. Is there a reason you guys are choosing the heater hose one?

Posted Image
Edited by ki4syr, Dec 14 2009, 09:45 AM.

3cyltom
Member Avatar

wow, $20, everywhere i call is above $50 for one. where did you get it and do you have a part# . i'm a cheap'o like that, and install would be a cake walk.

mark alan
[ *  *  * ]
Look here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1260809200/ref=a9_sc_1?ie=UTF8&search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=kats%20heater

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
sfiend1
Dec 14 2009, 11:44 AM
wow, $20, everywhere i call is above $50 for one. where did you get it and do you have a part# . i'm a cheap'o like that, and install would be a cake walk.
Advance Auto Parts. They quoted me this past Saturday night, and had it PDQ'ed Sunday morning. No shipping.

KAT's 14400

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
mark alan
Dec 14 2009, 11:54 AM
Got mine from Advance for $20.98 tax and all (VA tax)
Edited by ki4syr, Dec 14 2009, 12:01 PM.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

anyone got an advanced auto parts part number I can give to the critter at the counter? for $20 I would definitely give that one a shot :-)

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
nerys
Dec 14 2009, 12:14 PM
anyone got an advanced auto parts part number I can give to the critter at the counter? for $20 I would definitely give that one a shot :-)
um, yea

ki4syr

sfiend1

Advance Auto Parts. They quoted me this past Saturday night, and had it PDQ'ed Sunday morning. No shipping.

KAT's 14400

I was just being nosy the other day. Noticed a sign on the window for tire chains/cables and engine heaters. Had them look up a heater for a '92 Metro. That was the only one available for the '92. I'm going to put it on this evening and see how it does. I bought me a timer and 75' extension cord today, so we'll see. (Then again, its not supposed to get below freezing for the next couple days)
Edited by ki4syr, Dec 14 2009, 12:36 PM.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Looking at amazon.com I realized that the $23 lower hose heater was only a 400 watt heater for the 1" hose and the 1000 watt $35 circulating pump would heat fluid faster... $12 difference. :hmm
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bad Bent
Dec 15 2009, 12:53 AM
Looking at amazon.com I realized that the $23 lower hose heater was only a 400 watt heater for the 1" hose and the 1000 watt $35 circulating pump would heat fluid faster... $12 difference. :hmm
Well, let me emphasize on that. It took me three tries to get my timer to cooperate with me. First morning, the timer got fast and shut off early. Second morning, it didn't even come on at all (glitch?). This morning, it worked finally. Lower hose was warm~hot. The temperature gauge was a bit above the lowest mark, still in "C" range. But there was warm air coming from the vents. I had the heater on for 1.5 hours before I left. I'm guessing with the smaller wattage element, I'm going to have to keep it on for a longer period. Possibly leave it on all night.

I was in a bit of a hurry this morning, so I didn't check much other than the lower hose where the heater is. I may not have it low enough to be effective. It is about mid-way between the radiator and the steel tubing above the transmission. There was a nice straight section in the lower hose where I put the heater at, but its not as low as the bottom of the radiator. I'm going to try it again for a longer time tomorrow morning. Might just need a higher wattage for the cold temperatures up here.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply