Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
CV joint replacement; I found the noise!
Topic Started: Dec 22 2009, 07:14 PM (18,520 Views)
Spock
Member Avatar
Live Long and Prosper.

So I am going to replace the axle shaft on the drivers side on Saturday. Turns out, this is the source of the "clanking" I have been heraring. I have never done an axle shaft replacement before and I'll take all the advise I can get if anyone would like to share.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Check out Torn CV Boots for some dialogue.

I typed this, with some changes; Should drain the Trans. on a '91 for sure or lose a quart or more of fluid. Loosen the wheel nuts and the half shaft nut then jack it up. I got a 1/2" breaker bar and 30mm socket. I undo the brake caliper, strap/bungee to the strut, and mark then remove the lower strut bolts. The spindle should rotate enough to pull the half shaft out. The half shaft at the tranny pops out with a pry bar and gentle pressure. The new CV joints will be very stiff. The tranny end snaps in with some force. The outer end should slide in. Reverse to assemble.
Once it's on the ground, to get the recommended 132 foot pounds of torque it's good to have a torque wrench. If not, calculate your weight and slowly stand (no bounce) on the breaker bar at the 3 o'clock position. I'm 180 so I put the center of my foot about 8 inches from the nut.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Remove the wheel and then the axle nut. If you are taking the axle nut off by hand, then leave the wheel on the ground..............

Posted Image

Remove the 2 brake caliper bolts and safely tie or hang the caliper so it does not get in the way. Drain the trans fluid into clean bucket if reusing or drain it all out and refill with Synchromesh.....
LINK

Remove the lower ball joint pinch bolt (14 MM bolt)
Use a chisel to spread the pinch area and pound down on the control area to separate ball joint...........

Posted Image

You can then pull the spindle away and off the axle shaft.........

Posted Image

Pop out the axle with a large prybar and replace the axle seal while you are there.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Wow, :gp

Spock
Member Avatar
Live Long and Prosper.

That's pretty sweet JM!!!! Thanks a lot for that post, it really helps. I am going to tackle the CV joint this weekend. Like I said, I have never done one, but there's a first time for everything!!

Right now, I have a really bad miss under load so I am going to throw some pluggs and wires at it. Maybe a cap and rotor too while I'm at it. Hopefully that'll fix it, otherwise I have to actually do some diagnostic work :-/

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

MetroRob
Dec 23 2009, 01:05 PM
Right now, I have a really bad miss under load so I am going to throw some pluggs and wires at it. Maybe a cap and rotor too while I'm at it. Hopefully that'll fix it, otherwise I have to actually do some diagnostic work :-/
http://geometroforum.com/topic/2574993/

iamgeo
Member Avatar
Is that a fact....or just a rumor?

Quote:

Remove the 2 brake caliper bolts and safely tie or hang the caliper so it does not get in the way.

I have found it to be unnecessary to remove the brake calipers.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I only do this so I don't stretch the hose. Sometimes I get aggressive :)

iamgeo
Member Avatar
Is that a fact....or just a rumor?

Good point. Have to be careful with the hoses.

Dgeo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just took both out of a '98. I removed the break caliper and two lower strut mount bolts. CV axel can then be maneuvered out.

Posted Image

Spock
Member Avatar
Live Long and Prosper.

I knocked out the CV joint 2 days ago. Easiest repair I've ever done!!! Thanks to everyone for their help and pictures.

I will add from my own expierence that I agree you do not have to remove the brake caliper, but it does get one more thing out of your way. It also keeps you from stretching your rubber brake hose like JM said. For me It was necessary to remove the sway bar connecting bushings to get the a-arm to move downward more freely.

I gotta say to anyone who has never done this job, like me, it is a piece of cake!!! I can see the 30mm nut causing some grief though. I have a huge impact, so it didn't give me any lip at all! B-)

Maybe I'll tackle the struts soon :D

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

Great job. Glad to see it turned out so well.

Mr Murf 59
Member Avatar

Good post man. Thanks for sharing. I did run into one that was an odd one. It was on a 95 G13, 4dr. One of the axles had a big cast iron mount hooked to the back side of the engine. It only added 2 or 3 extra bolts to remove. But was a pain in the back side. I was under a forklift at the time. In the pouring rain. It is the only one of those I have seen so far

LeoGeo
Member Avatar
AKA GeoTrio
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If I'm reading this correctly, is the transmission side of the drive-shaft held in only by the pressure of the drive-shaft itself? Is there a clip or something on the transmission side CV joint that needs the be undone?

Rooy

The CV joint is held in to the transmission by a split ring type clip. It simply pops in and out.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply