Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Single best mpg mod you made
Topic Started: Jan 5 2010, 08:13 PM (21,075 Views)
dept411
Member Avatar
Metro on the brain
[ *  *  * ]
What is the single best mod you made that improved your mpg? Mine so far was blocking the front off to get better aerodynamics. My mileage went up about 4mpg. Last two fillups were on 10% ethanol I got 49.8 and 50.9 :drivin
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

The only one I have actually measured is the Moon Disks. I got 1 mpg. ^o) :thumb
Problem is I drive so little this was the only time one mod was made between tanks. :lol
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

The 3Tech Cam and gear got my 5 MPG instantly and the grill block netted me about 4 MPG, but that went with a mirror delete.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Driving more fuel efficiently will always be the best mod. I would say, depending on how you drive, aerodynamic mods are a good bet. Plus they are cheaper than engine mods. Now if you want to go all out, you're going to have to work on the engine too.

rmcelwee
Member Avatar

Tightening the nut behind the wheel (slowing down another 5 MPG) is the best mod that I have done. I have seen good results in cold weather from my front air block / cold air pipe removal project:
http://www.lightweightmiata.com/geo/warmair/

Since I started off with a blown engine I can't really say what all the mods have done for me. Rebuilding the engine and adding a new cam were both done at the same time and took me from 30 MPG to 50 MPG. Putting an XFI tranny in the vert got me around 5 MPG.

Metro Fanatic
Member Avatar

Coche and RMCelwee have it right. Mod your driving habits. A ridiculously mundane but incredibly important 'mod' is to just keep a close eye on tire inflation. Keeping mine at 36PSI is the single biggest FE gainer I've seen.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

I have lightend my Rocket. I removed the pass seat, belts, back seat, air cond. I figure no one rides in the car except me, and I don't pic up hitchhikers. So no need to carry that 35lbs. I blocked the front end. Gone to 13" wheel, with taller tires. And I try to drive it easier. I goofed up. I forgot to get a before milage #. Sorry I was dropped on my head to many times as a child. When my bros played catch over the bunk beds. I was the football. LOL But if I don't romp on it, I get over 50+ no problem

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

Single best mod?

Maintenance.

Keep the car in tip-top shape and you'll stay happy (and so will your motor).

When I bought my car it got 42MPG on my first drive. I then changed out the spark plugs, the distributor cap and rotor, along with new spark plug wires. I went from 42 MPG to 48 MPG.

I then changed my driving habits, mainly driving at a lower rate of speed (60 MPH in a 70 zone) and DWL (Driving With Load, or keeping your foot in one position on the pedal at all times, regardless of how slow you're going by the time you crest that hill). I went from 48 MPG to 52 MPG.

Next came the lightening mods. I've removed all the plastic interior except for the dash, that will be this spring's project. No back seats, no rear seat belts, all the tar-like insulation has been removed (about 20 lbs right there), no carpet, but I still keep the spare tire. I have the front two seats in there, and that's basically it. The A/C system will be saying "Bye Bye" soon as well this spring. Driving by myself in the summer time, I went from 52 MPG to 57 MPG.

Cobb

rmcelwee
Jan 6 2010, 02:13 PM
Tightening the nut behind the wheel.
Upper, just adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel makes the best improvement for any car.

Driving style alone, I can make my Honda do 44 or 63mpg.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I love how my posts always get overlooked.

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

Coche Blanco
Jan 7 2010, 12:36 PM
no they don't

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

mwebb
Jan 7 2010, 01:24 PM
Coche Blanco
Jan 7 2010, 12:36 PM
no they don't
lol

87octane
Member Avatar
drive it, break it, fix it, do it again
[ *  *  *  * ]
Heated seats!!!

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Coche, I'd look at it more as a lot of agreement :)

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Having read Coche Blanco's post ;) ;) I thought I'd add another mpg mod.

I ride my tricycle to 1.1 miles to work and back. Saves running the coolant heater, car wear and mpg.

The best mod for the tricycle is Maximum Pom Grip.

Posted Image Excellent MPG, eh... I'm coasting.

This was Boomie, a 20 pound Pomeranian. He died 2 years ago. :( I would drive him to the flat bike trail and he would pull the trike and I up to 7-8 mph for over 2 miles. :rocker He still wasn't tired!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply