Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
rear wheel bearing replacement; how to replace
Topic Started: Jan 13 2010, 04:23 AM (1,873 Views)
olegee
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
I have 1997 Geo Metro 4cyl, automatic. Today it developed noise in back of car. It sure sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Was wondering how difficult they are to replace? It is non abs model. Is it hub replacement as an assembly or just replace the bearings? If just the bearings are press fit? Would like a little heads up before removing wheel since i'll be working in low 20's with about a foot of snow on ground. Thanks, Olegee.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Woodie
Member Avatar

ABS model has a one piece hub with built in bearing and separate brake drum. Non-ABS has the bearings pressed into the drum. Just take off the center spindle nut, let off the emergency brake (you'd be surprised how many times an idiot can be be caught out by overlooking this, if I could count that high I'd tell you) and the drum should slide right off. Bearings can be pounded out with a drift or punch, then pounded back in with a socket the same size as the outer race. Never put any pressure on the inner race of the new bearing and don't forget to put the spacer back in between the two bearings.

About $60 per wheel from the dealer, $30 per wheel from Advance Auto Parts.

Dallas

theres a good chance if they havent been off for a while it may take some working to get them off, sometimes even a slide hammer is required. but as for the questions, woodie has it right. yours are pressed into the rear drum. but for the life of me I cant remember if they are two separate pieces for that bearing. an inner and outer. it very well may be, so atleast check!

dimetrodon

The spacer that separates the inner races must be exactly as long as the separation between the outer races that is machined into the drums. I bought some drums from a discount vendor and they were not machined the same as the spacer, the result was inordinate thrust loads on the bearings due to the compression from torque on the axle nut. This causes high rolling friction and pre-mature bearing failure.

The only way I know to avoid this problem is to use a micrometer to measure the spacer, and the distance between the bearing seats within the drum. Make sure they are the same. Take the drums back, or have someone good with a lathe correct them if they are not.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tires/Wheels/Bearings/Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply