Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Can Oil Leaking onto the Exhaust Pipe Catch Fire?
Topic Started: Jan 17 2010, 03:58 PM (9,873 Views)
FlyingTortoise
Member Avatar

It hasn't yet, but was a little concerned about that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

I would safely assume that it does, you need to fix whatever is causing that leak, for the safety of you and others.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

greggholmes

well pretty much anything can catch fire, given that, the exhaust pipe doesn't get hot enough to ignite oil. decades ago we had a chevy that had a bad front seal on the tranny that poured onto the exaust. left a large cloud of smoke for about 200 miles, no fire. the exaust manifold can get hot enough to ignite oil.

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

greggholmes
Jan 17 2010, 05:30 PM
well pretty much anything can catch fire, given that, the exhaust pipe doesn't get hot enough to ignite oil. decades ago we had a chevy that had a bad front seal on the tranny that poured onto the exaust. left a large cloud of smoke for about 200 miles, no fire. the exaust manifold can get hot enough to ignite oil.
You sir, are DEAD wrong. And thinking like that will get you killed one day if you have an oil leak on the exhaust and don't do anything about it.

I'm living proof that leaking oil on the exhaust can and WILL catch fire. This happened to me while driving down the highway in my dad's old Chevy Silverado. Luckily I pulled over in time, shut the truck off, and was able to put out the fire before the truck burned down around me.

obaja
Member Avatar
Diesel Power

starscream5000
Jan 17 2010, 08:04 PM
greggholmes
Jan 17 2010, 05:30 PM
You sir, are DEAD wrong. And thinking like that will get you killed one day if you have an oil leak on the exhaust and don't do anything about it.

I'm living proof that leaking oil on the exhaust can and WILL catch fire. This happened to me while driving down the highway in my dad's old Chevy Silverado. Luckily I pulled over in time, shut the truck off, and was able to put out the fire before the truck burned down around me.
where was the leak?

im with gregg. It can happen but very rare. I see lots of cars driving down the road with blue smoke pouring from underneath but not cought on fire or heard many stories. if driving up a big hill under full load and a drop drips on the exhaust maybe but normal driving no.

On a manifold, no problem.

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

obaja
Jan 17 2010, 10:16 PM
where was the leak?
It wasn't on one of the manifolds, it was on the down pipe, still a very hot place. I guess you'll not be a believer until it happens to you...

greggholmes

Hence the disclaimer "anything can catch fire".

crispycritter
[ *  *  * ]
Turbos get hot enough to ignite engine oil, even on smaller motors. Did this on a 4-cylinder car years ago but managed to put out the fire before it was too late. Burned the wiring pretty bad and a big spot on the hood. No fun.

Dallas

hm ive had oil leak onto a pipe for years, it was a rear crank seal and dripped out of where the tranny and engine meet. there was a 1/4" think layer of crud on the exhaust at that point when I sold the car, all of overheated,burned,charred oil. fortunately it never caught fire I guess

3cyltom
Member Avatar

i have an oil leak on mine. uses about a quart every 2500 miles. leaks from rear main seal area, and blows back onto the converter. i was wondering this myself. smells like burning oil when i drive 10 miles or so and stop at a stoplight for a minute. i've already replaced rear main seal and resealed the oilpan with rtv, although it's been about 10-15k miles ago. it's more of an annoyance than anything. also, keeps the shift linkage well lubed. i will probably re-rtv the oilpan just for the heck of it next lof.

crispycritter
[ *  *  * ]
You could add a "deflector" or "drip tray" if you experimented to keep it off the pipe.

rmcelwee
Member Avatar

I was selling my Corvette a few years ago and while cleaning it I sprayed Engine-Brite under the hood (engine was hot at the time). I turned around to get the water hose and heard a "whoosh" (that was the oil igniting). I was lucky I didn't burn the car to the ground.

coyoteshisou
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
yes oil leaking onto the your headers can catch fire, if you think other wise please shoot yourself :die

Old Man

crispycritter
Jan 18 2010, 11:34 AM
Turbos get hot enough to ignite engine oil, even on smaller motors. Did this on a 4-cylinder car years ago but managed to put out the fire before it was too late. Burned the wiring pretty bad and a big spot on the hood. No fun.
:popcorn hence the forum name huh? :rofl :rofl :rofl

vr4

Oil onto the pipe before the converter on one of these, not likely. Double wall and it really doesnt get hot enough. Converter itself....sure.

Though it could happen and should be fixed.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply