Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Speedometer noise; grinding or rubbing noise from dash
Topic Started: Jan 26 2010, 12:23 PM (1,980 Views)
ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Run down: '98 Metro 1.0/5spd, 150K+ miles, original tach cluster.

Since I've owned this metro, I've noticed the speedometer swinging back and forth a couple miles an hour. Lets say I'm going 55, the needle would swing from 54-56 sometimes, not all the time. Well this morning, I was in a hurry and left the house before allowing the engine to warm up properly. No issues until I got up to 55 mph for a few miles. The speedometer started this rubbing/grinding noise fairly loud. I can lay my hand on the cluster cover and feel it badly. The speedometer started to act up worse too. Swinging very excessively from like 50-60. It got increasingly worse, to the point it was starting to be over 5 mph off (fast). It never stopped working, and it even slowed down when I pulled into the shop here at work.

I've not had a chance to reach my hand up behind the dash yet, too cold to mess with it outside. Was hoping someone else might have witnessed this problem before. Not exactly sure what could be making the noise unless the cable itself is fraying out and slapping everything behind the dash?

Any ideas?
Edited by ki4syr, Jan 26 2010, 12:24 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

undgsx-R
Member Avatar
Self Certified Garage Mechanic

Usually the cable jumps around like that if it is stretched or it is going out.

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Pulled both ends of the cable off just a few minutes ago and used a drill on the transmission end. With cable disconnected from dash, there was no noise. When I hooked the cable back up, the dash made the same noise (but drill was turning it the wrong way). Reversed the drill and ran it up to 55 and the noise wasn't as bad as it was in opposite direction. Speedo still dancing. Going to drive it again this evening and see.

Is there something inside the cluster that needs greasing or maybe a bushing wore out?

jrdbarnhart
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
mine varies a little bit too. I have never thought much about it until now. let us know what it is and how the fix went

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

Sounds like something inside the cluster went bad. I am not sure if they use a plastic bearing back there, but I would pull it out and at least investigate before replacing it.

Let us know what you find!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

I don't know Jonny... Mine was doing what his is doing right before my cable broke.

Do yourself a favor, go to autozone, spend 3 bucks on a tube of graphite lube, take the cable back off, and squirt the lube inside the cable housing. This should fix your problems before it's too late.

Nick
Member Avatar
Jack Of All Trades Master Of None

my needle moves a little bit too but its only every now and then when i accelerate hard.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

You can just disconnect the cable at the top and put a few drops of oil in the casing for the cable. When they start do bounce, they are generally dry and need some lube. Its a pain in the back side. But works. And be patient. It takes it very slowly. It gets worse for the cables in the cold clims
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok, after driving the car all day yesterday (my day off) the speedometer never made the noise again. Don't know if it was because of the drill turning it in the wrong direction that "freed" something up or what. The trip-o-dometer may have got in a bad spot but I don't remember looking to see if it was counting or not. Everything seems ok now, both odometers are reading correctly and speedometer is registering correct.

I'm definately going to unhook the cable again and squirt some lube down the housing. It's got me worried now because I can't get a new cable from the parts houses. I can only get the steel square drive cable replacement, not the housing.

Thanks for the replies though, I'll update when I get the lube in.

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

Yes,
When you "drove" the speedo in reverse,
you loosened some of the corrosion that is in the cable housing.
As soon as is reasonably possible you need to lube it.
The bicycle stores sell a kit for forcing oil down through cables. They use it for brake and shift cables. Nothing worse than having a binding brake cable on your bike.
Take both ends loose and lube the cable from the top till you see oil from the bottom.
This should do you well for another 15 years.

Woodie
Member Avatar

ki4syr
Jan 28 2010, 10:13 AM

I'm definately going to unhook the cable again and squirt some lube down the housing. It's got me worried now because I can't get a new cable from the parts houses. I can only get the steel square drive cable replacement, not the housing.

The insides don't come out of the housing, why would they sell just that? Advance has the entire thing, $22:

http://tinyurl.com/ybr262g

I'll bet that oiling it will take care of the problem though.

ki4syr
Member Avatar
Metro Newbie
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Woodie
Jan 29 2010, 06:30 AM
ki4syr
Jan 28 2010, 10:13 AM

The insides don't come out of the housing, why would they sell just that? Advance has the entire thing, $22:

http://tinyurl.com/ybr262g

I'll bet that oiling it will take care of the problem though.
Lol, Advance shows "0" results for 1998 Chevrolet Metro.

I think I found one on Autozone or O'Riley's, but it was a "cut to length" type of cable. Same thing they sell at the local Carquest.

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

Woodie
I haven't pulled any Metro speedo cables apart.
But I have pulled just about any of the others makers apart.
Most will come out with a little persuasion.
They had to get it in, didn't they?

But a whole assembly for $22 is a good buy and you get a new housing as well.

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

metroschultz
Jan 29 2010, 08:01 AM
Woodie
I haven't pulled any Metro speedo cables apart.
But I have pulled just about any of the others makers apart.
Most will come out with a little persuasion.
They had to get it in, didn't they?

But a whole assembly for $22 is a good buy and you get a new housing as well.
Unfortunately, they list it down, but they do not carry it. I got the same results, "0 quantities available". :'(

rmcelwee
Member Avatar

HF sells a cable oiler for $3. If you want to take the 6 hr drive down to see me you are welcome to borrow mine <G>. It is new and still in the box...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply