Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Camshaft Position Sensor; Car didn't pass car licence test in Vegas
Topic Started: Feb 4 2010, 11:24 PM (1,925 Views)
eldon_ks
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Shop indicated the camshaft position sensor was not working cause engine light came on. Went in for an exam for a car license in Vegas. Light was not on when went into shop. Light on after exam. Stayed on for 30 min. then off after stopped for groceries. What does this have to do with a license exam for the car? Do you suppose they could have messed up or messed it up , and I should have another shop do it again? I had to pay the first shop and maybe I should go back now that the light is not on. Show them the light is not on. Does my 99 Chevy Metro have a camshaft position sensor? Only one?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

i am UN-familiar with Nevada DMV regulations
i suspect that the CEL can not be illuminated in your OBD2 system
as a prerequisite to obtain a
"car license" in Nevada.

your car has a CMP sensor and a CKP sensor as well

get a DVOM and see in the how to area ,
the threads for "connecting with a T pin"
and
testing CKP and CMP sensors
in this forum .

you will see oscilloscope images of the CKP and CMP sensor with voltages you should expect to see when testing with your DVOM

it may be possible that your timing belt has jumped a tooth or is very old and sloppy or stretched
so that the relationship between the CKP and CMP sensor is outside of what the ECM expects to see

if voltages test "good "and very close to equal with engine running on both CKP and CMP
you will need to carefully inspect the timing belt for condition and correct alignment
============================================
what is the exact DTC that your car has ?
your ECM has seen test criteria that enables or results in the ECM switching on the CEL and setting a DTC for an UNknown cam sensor problem .

this is your problem and your responsibility , NOT the repair shop's .
Edited by mwebb, Feb 5 2010, 12:07 PM.

99metro
putt-putt

Sure it's not the crankshaft position sensor? I have an older JDM engine on my 1999 Metro that does not have a crank position sensor, but the engine harness has the connector. This caused a check engine light. I jumpered the connector to the two small distributor leads and this removed the check engine light.

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

99metro
Feb 5 2010, 02:58 PM
Sure it's not the crankshaft position sensor? I have an older JDM engine on my 1999 Metro that does not have a crank position sensor, but the engine harness has the connector. This caused a check engine light. I jumpered the connector to the two small distributor leads and this removed the check engine light.
that is not good news .

you should study up on the exact function of the CKP sensor in this system .
theoretically
by doing this , you have disabled some of the functions in the PCM / ECM , those functions that use CKP signal as a reference.

so now your system is using the CMP input to run the engine in place of the RPM input from the CKP .

again
theoretically , your system should code for the CKP signal being
Implausible or un rational .
or
a circuit code as your CKP circuit is shorted and has lower than expected resistance .

unless you have ID d another instance where GM has tampered with the software
like with the rear 02 sensor .

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

i can document those two things and bring the sins of
Government Motors
to the attention of the branch of the EPA that is searching for acts NON compliance ....

i wonder if the USA government will punish itself .....

99metro
putt-putt

mwebb
Feb 5 2010, 06:30 PM
99metro
Feb 5 2010, 02:58 PM
that is not good news .

you should study up on the exact function of the CKP sensor in this system .
theoretically
by doing this , you have disabled some of the functions in the PCM / ECM , those functions that use CKP signal as a reference.

so now your system is using the CMP input to run the engine in place of the RPM input from the CKP .

again
theoretically , your system should code for the CKP signal being
Implausible or un rational .
or
a circuit code as your CKP circuit is shorted and has lower than expected resistance .

unless you have ID d another instance where GM has tampered with the software
like with the rear 02 sensor .
I just used an idea from the Honda JDM guys. Their procedure seemed complicated, but essentially what I did was the same thing. Been running like this for about 60k miles. No check engine lights, runs great, good fuel mileage. I guess I could read up on it - not sure what that would accomplish.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2547345/Honda-CKF-Bypass-Trick
Edited by 99metro, Feb 28 2010, 04:26 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply