Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Crank Seal - How To; Replace leaking crankshaft seal
Topic Started: Mar 21 2010, 09:27 PM (22,067 Views)
Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

If you have an oil leak coming from behind the timing cover, it's either a crankshaft seal or a leaking cam seal. Both seals are the same part, but parts stores sell the crank seal with an oil pump gasket and costs more. All you need is a new cam seal for the crank. First check out the timing belt guide for instructions on removing the timing belt cover and belt......... Timing Belt Guide

Make sure the car is safely jacked up and on stands and remove the passenger front tire.........

Posted Image

Place a soft cloth or board on your jack and place under the oil pan. Jack it up until you see the engine just start to move..........

Posted Image

After removing the alternator belt, water pump pulley, Crank pulley, timing belt cover, and timing belt, you need to lower the engine down to get access to the crank bolt. Remove the 2 14MM passenger side engine mount bolts with the jack under the pan supporting the engine........

Posted Image

Now slowly lower the engine with the jack so you can get to the crank bolt........

Posted Image

I use an air impact gun with a quality 17MM impact socket to remove this bolt because it's the easiest way........

Posted Image

Now remove the lower sprocket and inspect the keyway for the slot..........

Posted Image

To remove the cam seal, you need a small self-tapping screw. You can use a drill with a small bit to help get the screw started. Once the screw starts going in, you can keep going until it pops out or grab the screw with pliers and pull out the old seal. DO NOT let the screw touch the crankshaft! This will damage the sealing area and make it leak. Sometimes you can get the seal out by prying it from it's outer circumference with a small screwdriver or pick.

Posted Image

After the seal is out, use a green Scotch Brite pad to clean the crank and the seal housing.....

Posted Image

Now clean the area with parts or brake cleaner and wipe clean. Use some clean motor oil and wipe on the inner part of the new seal and take RTV Silicone and wipe around the outer circumference of the seal..........

Posted Image

Carefully place the seal over the crank. The inner part should glide over evenly and the outer part should be right at the beginning of where it starts to go into the housing...........

Posted Image

Now use a socket or other tool that will fit over the crank and around the seal and gently tap it in until it's flush and even....................

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wipe the outer part of the seal to clean off the excess silicone and reassemble. Be sure to use some lock-tite on the crank bolt and torque to specs.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I wish I had some way of thanking you for all you do here, i'll buy you a 6 pack when I get old enough.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Very very well done JM

BraveHeartCalif
[ *  * ]
Talk about a nugget of info...wow...thanks johnny...

dragnfly
[ *  * ]
all is going well so far with changing the crank seal. you show removing the crank sproket bolt with an impact . How do you stop the crank from turning when removing this bolt?
thanks for your time

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

You can remove the oil pan and wedge a block of wood in there to stop the crank or some people wedge a prybar into the flywheel teeth.

dragnfly
[ *  * ]
Ok I was thinking I may have to do that , I just didnt see that step in this how to guide

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

I wedged a long flathead into the teeth of the flywheel.

bennie442

Instead of disconnecting the exhaust pipe (and installing a new gasket) and dropping the oil pan (and installing a new gasket), try this. Remove a spark plug from any cylinder. Rotate crank to establish compression stroke of that cylinder. Once you have verified the COMPRESSION stroke, rotate the crank until that particular piston starts up on it's compression stroke. Feed in through the spark plug hole a foot or two of rope. Then bring that piston up. The rope will eventually prohibit further crankshaft movement ( while the valves are closed ) allowing you to remove the crankshaft sprocket bolt.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

I have used a long breaker bar with an impact socket & 1. jammed the handle into the frame or whatever. You might also get a coathanger or mechanics wire to help hold it in place against the crankbolt. 2. Disconnect coil wire. 3. Bump starter. That will usually break the bolt loose providing you made sure which way the crank would turn when cranked & you properly placed the breaker bar so it would loosen & not tighten the bolt. It really does work. Good luck. Have also done the above mentioned trick with sucess. Just make sure the valves are CLOSED when doing it.
Edited by Car Nut, Jul 9 2010, 08:30 PM.

dragnfly
[ *  * ]
seal is in , I put a screwdriver through the hole to the flywheel one small tap on the impact and the bolt was out . doesnt look like the guy that had the car before me tightened it up much or put lock tight on the bolt. I didnt notice any rtv sealant on the seal when I took it out. New one is in just looking on here to get the crank bolt torque spec and I will reasemble everything.
thanks for all the input

cdmccul
Member Avatar

Will an impact overcome the inertia of the crank allow it to take out the bolt, or does the engine have so little rolling resistance that it just spins the motor over?

Another solution, on a 5/3, is to just leave the car on the ground and in gear, and loosen the bolt with a breaker bar. Then, once loose, perform the work per the how-to.

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

cdmccul
Jul 10 2010, 12:50 PM
Will an impact overcome the inertia of the crank allow it to take out the bolt, or does the engine have so little rolling resistance that it just spins the motor over?

Another solution, on a 5/3, is to just leave the car on the ground and in gear, and loosen the bolt with a breaker bar. Then, once loose, perform the work per the how-to.
Yep, an impact wrench will work without needing to block the crank.

Tofuball
Member Avatar
Strange Mechanic

I used an impact and it worked fine.

Took out the gear and . . . the seal just fell out. Didn't have to use a screw :)

The seal looked fine, just wasn't where it was supposed to be . . . I'm replacing it anyway, nothing quite like a $2.50 part killing a $35 belt causing you to need to rent a $50 tow dolly and ruin an afternoon . . .
Edited by Tofuball, Aug 5 2010, 09:09 AM.

batever
[ *  * ]
dragnfly
Jul 9 2010, 04:56 PM
all is going well so far with changing the crank seal. you show removing the crank sproket bolt with an impact . How do you stop the crank from turning when removing this bolt?
thanks for your time
Do to the nature of how an impact wrench works (many, may small impacts to release the nut) you won't need so secure the crankshaft to keep it from spinning. It won't move much at all.

Now if you're using a normal wrench and hand power, you'll need so secure the flywheel to keep everything from turning. But not when you're using an impact wrench.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply