Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How do I remove the dash?
Topic Started: Apr 28 2010, 09:25 AM (4,065 Views)
StevieC
Member Avatar

Hi guys,

How do I remove the entire dash? I've undone lots of bolts and screws... it moves but won't come out.

Given that the engine and gear box are out, I decided I may as well clean up the interior. I stuck the carpet from the trunk in the washer yesterday, it smells good now! Next is the big carpet...

Steve.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

StevieC
Member Avatar

I assume I have to remove the steering wheel... that's probably what's holding it in there. Hmmm.

wikityler
Member Avatar
Some say...

Start by removing the steering wheel, and the plastic on the column. You may need to remove the indicator switch as well. Drop the steering column by loosening the 4 nuts supporting it. Now you can remove the instrument cluster. Also remove radio, and disconnect the heater controls from the dash. Remove the hood release and poke it through it's hole in the dash. Now you can start pulling at the dash and finding the electrical connectors that you will need to disconnect.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Take pictures as you go for reference. It's not held in with a lot of screws and bolts.
Here is the 1996 dash, I don't have the '91 handy. Must get to work but perhaps you can find it at Geo Library Link. :dunno

Posted Image

Nick
Member Avatar
Jack Of All Trades Master Of None

you want to take the dash out huh....welcome to my nightmare that big metal bar that runs across the dash is a

big part of the equation and then getting all the wires out of the way and off. Did you pop that square on top of the dash out?

StevieC
Member Avatar

I removed that middle bit yeah.

I'm pretty sure it's just the wheel holding it in now.

I removed the air bag... removed the huge bolt in the middle that I *thought* was holding the wheel on. Pulled on the wheel, it won't come off. What am I missing? It's so hot out... but I'm determined to get it off.

StevieC
Member Avatar

According to JM in the following thread, I must strike the wheel until it falls off, or stop being a cheapo.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/2768131/

StevieC
Member Avatar

I got the wheel off. I can see two lovely star bolts inside there... that must be what's holding the dash in place!! Now I just need to find a nice big screwdriver to remove the piece of metal that's stopping me from getting to those star bolts........ ahhhhhhhhHHHHHHH!!!!!! :banghead

Bill CNC
Member Avatar

Hi Steve, ...

If this is for one of the cars you have listed in your signature area you will remove it just as I did mine.

You need to remove the bolts (IN) the door jam area, remove the screw under the cap in the middle of the dash, remove the Center Console that houses the shifter, Steering wheel, Remove the Indicators behind the steering wheel and their covers, Remove the bottom panel under the wheel, Remove the steel plate under the cover to gain access to the 2 bolts holding up the steering column, LOOSEN the two bolts holding the column up 3/4 of the way (it's not necessary to remove them completely like I found out later), It was far easier to break off the wire harness ties that are pined to the dash support bar (looks like an exhaust pipe under your dash), remove the pull handle for the hood, UNDER the hood disingage the speedometer cable from the trans if it's an auto), Remove the interment cluster, as you start to pull the dash, remove the wire plugs that are not letting it come out, *** Important! *** their is one black ground wire (black) that is screwed to the dash cross bar support. It's a booger to see and get to so I just cut it and soldered it back together with about 8" between the two ends once the dash was back in place.

Here is some insight as to whats looks scary, ... but it's not! Have a look at my restoration thread. The dash comes out on page 3.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/3021787/1/

Good luck, .. were here for you, ... if you need us! ^o)
Edited by Bill CNC, Apr 28 2010, 03:40 PM.

StevieC
Member Avatar

Thanks Bill! I got the screws out... it's just those bloody star screws. Running over to Autozone now to get a piece. :)

Bill CNC
Member Avatar

StevieC
Apr 28 2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks Bill! I got the screws out... it's just those bloody star screws. Running over to Autozone now to get a piece. :)
You need a Torx #10.

StevieC
Member Avatar

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Turned out to be T40 Bill...

I almost had it out, and then I realised there were some bolts at the back too! I undid it at the front and left the piece of metal in the car... THE DASH IS OUT!!!!!!

With the dash, came the carpet. My floor pan is a bit rusty. Solutions? I don't want to fall through it while I'm driving, lol.

I can tell you that I am officially exhausted, but very glad to have the dash out.

I think I need to take more pictures.

Bill CNC
Member Avatar

StevieC
Apr 28 2010, 04:06 PM
You need a Torx #10.

OPPS, you are correct, ... it was the bolts holding on the steering wheel airbag that were #10's
Edited by Bill CNC, Apr 28 2010, 05:41 PM.

Bill CNC
Member Avatar

Congrats!!!! :cheers

What was the reason behind the Dash removal?

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

There has to be a reason? I thought we all just did that for fun :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply