Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How do I replace front wheel bearings
Topic Started: May 12 2010, 01:48 PM (12,127 Views)
killerofangels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I am getting a squeaking sound from the front wheels that tells me I need to replace the wheel bearings (plus the guy at the inspection station says I need that to pass). I've never done the bearings before. What exactly is required to change these? I don't have a press so I figured hammering them out with a close-enough-sized socket would be okay. I'm having trouble getting to that part, though.

So far, I've got the steering knuckle removed all the way down to the ball joint but after taking the pin and nut off, I can't seem to wiggle the bolt out of the steering knuckle. I've tried using a good amount of force and some WD40 to no effect.
Posted ImagePosted Image
I feel like I might damage the knuckle if I use any more force.

Also, what do I need to get the seals and bearing out?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

You need a pickle fork. Most autopart stores have these for sale and a few will rent them.
Edited by CityConnection, May 12 2010, 02:19 PM.

Rooy

Pickle fork will work, but likely damage the boot on the tie rod end. If you can, get a tie rod end puller (sometimes called a small pitman arm puller) or a "lever style" tie rod end puller.

Tie rod end lever style: http://www.jcwhitney.com/tie-rod-end-removal-tool/p2004158.jcwx?skuId=219190&TID=8014524FT4&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-812149&zmam=15972153&zmas=21&zmac=141&zmap=812149

Advance Auto Parts (at least the one near me) rents out a front end service/puller kit that has all of these tools in it.

Sometimes you can get lucky and get it out without any special tools. The trick is to hit the part of the knuckle (not the tie rod end itself) where the tie rod end goes in with a hammer. Try pulling up on the tie rod at the same time. This might not work the first shot, but keep hitting around the knuckle (doesn't have to be real hard).

Also, if you want to hammer on the tie rod end bolt from the bottom, the trick to not screwing up the threads is to thread the nut back on a couple turns.
Edited by Rooy, May 12 2010, 02:53 PM.

killerofangels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
OK. Got tie rod disconnected. What's the best way to get the bearing out without a press?

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Take to napa and get them to press them out.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

I used a brass drift punch and tapped it out from the other side. Be sure to know how the spacer fits in between the two bearings and pack around it with grease during the install. ^o)

killerofangels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Inner and outer? You mean there's two bearings?!? I ordered a replacement set from some auto parts website and they had listed a rather wide single front bearing for my car (95 metro 3cyl). I see in the shop manual that it has an inner and outer but I figured it was wrong (like it has been on several other issues). :die

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

My manuals agree with your manual. Must be the same car, eh. B-)

Well, you have a manual but here is a link with 1993 pics... How to Wheel bearings.

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

You look like you would have 1 wide bearing.
My 92' uses 2 bearings, but the 2000 knuckles I have that I'm going to put in only have 1 wide bearing.

Here's one
Posted Image

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

I have a press,
bring it over Saturday.

crankcase

Pictures of your press please?

I'm looking to buy one that will do trans. service.

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

I'll post them on Saturday.
My press is designed specifically for wheel bearings. I don't know if it will work for transmission stuff.

killerofangels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, my car has two bearings. They seem to just fall out once I got the oil seals out as they are tapered bearings and not pressed in. I completely destroyed both the seals getting them out too. :-/

Posted Image

Do I also have to replace the inner/outer race along with the bearings (and seals now too)?

Mr Murf 59
Member Avatar

For trans stuff. Its all in the tooling. I have a good old 20 ton press. I can do up to the big New Venture 4500s and 5600's and everything smaller than that. I have pressing plates with a Big V in the center, and one with a radius. It helps you get around shafts and such.
@ killerofangels. Make sure you grease the bearing really well. Going back in is a finess thing. Not a brute force thing. and just a little grease on the seals when you get done.

killerofangels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
...and another thing. I'm having trouble finding the front wheel bearing inner/outer sets. Every parts site I go to has the wider single front wheel bearings only. Are the rear wheels' inner/outer bearings the same as the front wheels'?

4 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Members: 93Geo
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tires/Wheels/Bearings/Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply