Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Exhaust manifold -- How do you know when to it's gone bad and needs replaced?
Topic Started: May 12 2010, 08:44 PM (5,177 Views)
Metro_caon
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok so how can you tell when it's time to replace your exhaust manifold?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

crankcase

I guess if it's cracked? I've never seen one go bad. You should clean the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) port, I would say at least once per year. It gets clogged easily. If you have a loud exhaust leak, I would replace the 2 gaskets. The one at the pipe is often over looked.

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

I found my leaks with Seafoam. This link will explain it.
http://geometroforum.com/topic/681815/1/

smokstac
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Every 1.3L exhaust manifold I have personally seen has a crack between #2/#3 ports along the backside of the casting.

Big Rhino

Replace your exhaust manifold when your car sounds like a log truck.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Jittney
May 12 2010, 09:28 PM
I found my leaks with Seafoam. This link will explain it.
http://geometroforum.com/topic/681815/1/
Do you have pictures or video or is it obvious? As crankcase points out there are two gaskets. I have a bad manifold because the threads are crossed where the Cat connects, the two springs. Could not get a full seat on the "donut." I replaced the donut gasket and the manifold, reused the other gasket.

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

crankcase
May 12 2010, 09:09 PM
I guess if it's cracked? I've never seen one go bad. You should clean the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) port, I would say at least once per year. It gets clogged easily. If you have a loud exhaust leak, I would replace the 2 gaskets. The one at the pipe is often over looked.
yes
it is this simple - either the manifold is broken , or
it is not broken ....

but
if it broke because of UNeven temperature betwixt the runners , think on WHY that might be
could it be because the cyclinder associated with the broken runner was out putting unburned HC and 02 ?
which then burned in the manifold ?
making it very hot ?
causing UNeven expansion and funny events in the metal ?

you betcha .

now think;
where did that extra HC and 02 come form ?
does misfire cause more HC and 02 to get into the exhaust ?

you betcha .

smokstac
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Could be a design flaw as well.

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

smokstac
May 12 2010, 11:59 PM
Could be a design flaw as well.
could be
but
at 114 k miles , mine is not cracked or broken -

of course i have been told that my car is "special" .
and
my Momma said that i was " special "

but
if there were a design flaw , i expect mine would be broke by now ....
of course then again , my engine is not misfiring.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Or it may be a design flaw like the infamous front horns, which shows up on some, but not on others, etc.

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

All the 4cyl 16V manifolds are cracked, in the same place, samp has also seen this. It's a defect in the design :(

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

mcmancuso
May 13 2010, 12:54 AM
All the 4cyl 16V manifolds are cracked, in the same place, samp has also seen this. It's a defect in the design :(
...."Location
IL
Year/Make/Model
91 geo metro"....

the OP has a 1991 geo metro
were they available with G13 engines ?

Metro_caon
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
crankcase
May 12 2010, 09:09 PM
Well, the exhaust manifold is NOT cracked, however, it is burned pretty bad, which got me concerned in the first place. Also, I found the 'donut' after the exhaust manifold is burned as well, and loose, which I think is making the car somewhat noisy.

crankcase

It all sounds ok. They normally look a little burned, mainly rusty, but not too different than any other exhaust component. Black would be a bit odd.

You should be able to replace the round gasket and make it sound better. You many want to let the exhaust bolts soak, especially the ones with the springs, in a good coat of Liquid Wrench before attempting removal. Reinstall with some exhaust anti sieze.

If you are going to have the manifold loose, check the EGR passage. It goes from the exhaust, through the exhaust manifold and on through the head, and then around to the the EGR valve. You can check it by working the EGR plunger by hand. It should want to stall the vehicle if normal; if there is no change in idle it's clogged.

Nick
Member Avatar
Jack Of All Trades Master Of None

mine is completely rusted any issues i should worry about?

4 users reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply