Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
transmission problems
Topic Started: May 12 2010, 11:48 PM (3,260 Views)
workinprogress
[ *  * ]
well my tranny doesnt wanna shift to 4th gear(auto) and its been like this since i got it but since i dont know anything about tranny's i decided to leave it alone till now. I was told its the linkage but the shifter is aligned just fine and catches all gears where it should, even 1st 2nd and Drive, however once in drive it doesnt want to go past 3rd. Just wondering a few possible explanations and solutions maybe??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

96Geoman

Did you check the fluid level?

pres
[ *  * ]
Yeah, that's a problem with 3spd automatics...
they never seem to want to go into 4th. :-)

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

All the auto metros have ONLY 3 GEARS, so yeah it won't go into 4th. That's the big problem with the auto tranny, no overdrive, so mileage really suffers above 55 or so.

workinprogress
[ *  * ]
wow i feel like a dumb@$$, i was just thinking maybe because my speedo is disconnected that maybe thats why but this explanation makes much more sense thank you

slander
Member Avatar
Tech Certified

The automatics also make the engine wind out a lot more, and it sounds like it needs another gear, which it does, but it doesn't have it.

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

pres
May 13 2010, 12:19 AM
Yeah, that's a problem with 3spd automatics...
they never seem to want to go into 4th. :-)
Beat me to it! :D

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Don't feel dumb, it did give me a chuckle though :)

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Geo Metro Forum - Where's my overdrive?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Posted Image

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

'well my tranny doesn't wanna shift to 4th and its been like this since I...' turned 50 years old. B-)

jellybean

don't feel bad i paid 1300 for a used automatic in a 87 niss v6 truck because it wouldn'd shift into overdrive when cold, after installing it and having the same problem the dealer informed me that it wasn't supposed to shift until warm. the really sad part is that the original trans had been rebuilt by PO

96Geoman

Johnny Mullet
May 13 2010, 07:19 PM
The GEO Metro overdrive option was very expensive so it's very rare. Here is the VW Beetle Overdrive option which is very similar to the GEO Overdrive...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dan

Edited by 96Geoman, May 14 2010, 09:54 PM.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

96Geoman
May 14 2010, 09:54 PM
Johnny Mullet
The GEO Metro overdrive option was very expensive so it's very rare. Here is the VW Beetle Overdrive option which is very similar to the GEO Overdrive...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dan

Gotta light. No not a Bud Light. :lol I am guessing he has no problems with tailgaters :lol
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snyder561
[ *  * ]
Mr Murf 59
May 15 2010, 01:48 PM
96Geoman
May 14 2010, 09:54 PM
Johnny Mullet

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dan

Gotta light. No not a Bud Light. :lol I am guessing he has no problems with tailgaters :lol
May be an old post but "Did you just quote Mf. Doom the madvillain " - You sir have good taste.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply