Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Metro 'Vert Won't Start :( [SOLVED]; Goes "Click"
Topic Started: May 19 2010, 01:02 PM (1,926 Views)
katjapurrs
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hey guys..
I'm havin a time with my metro... When i try to start it all i hear is "Click" and that's it. Unfortunately i don't have hubby to help me anymore because he passed away in april :( A few people have said they think it is a starter solinoid and that i should take the starter out and take it to autozone to get tested. This is great, but i have no clue what the starter looks like, or where it is! :lol Could someone point me to the right direction? Also does it require any special tools to remove?

Thanks again guys!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

The starter sits under the intake manifold on the back side of the engine (toward the firewall, not the radiator). It's only held in by 2 bolts and some wires.

I couldn't find a good pic of it mounted to the engine, but here is one with it out of the car:

Posted Image

Here are the wires that contact to it:

Posted Image

Removing a starter is easy.

1. Disconnect the negative (-) terminal of the battery
2. Disconnect the wires that mount to the starter
3. Remove the 2 bolts holding the starter to the transmission
4. Remove starter

Make sure to note if there is a shim (looks like a metal gasket) between the starter and the transmission, don't lose it. When you install the starter remember to put that shim back in between the starter and transmission (if it was equipped with one).

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

A couple things to try/remember:

Use a small hammer and tap the side of the starter a couple times. The contacts can stick and get hung up and this can jar them lose and make it work again... for a while.

A somewhat common problem with Suzuki cars is the ignition switch goes bad and doesn't allow the full 12V to the starter and it just goes "click". The cheapest way around this is to install a separate starter button.

Just some ideas so you don't replace a starter that isn't bad.

Oh, and make sure you have a full charge on the battery. A click can happen if the battery is too weak to crank the starter.

crankcase

There are some other things you should check before replacing the starter. The solenoid is built into the starter and typically most people replace the whole starter assembly.

1. The battery could be bad. Try to get a jump start from a friend; even if the battery is bad or just low, a jump start should be able to start it.
If you have a battery charger, try charging it. You may be able to get it to work for a short time after a charge even if the battery is bad.
If you don't have a charger, check with your local AutoZone etc., they can probably charge it for you so that they can also check it (the battery must be at full charge to check).

2. The charging system could be the problem. If the battery checks good, get the car going and take it down to the Zone etc. If you are scared it won't start, you can always leave it running. They should be able to test the alternator while it is still in the car and tell you if the charging system is good. If the charging system is good, and the battery is good, it could be the battery is not getting charged because there is a lot of corrosion on the terminals blocking the charge from coming into the battery. You may need to undo the terminals and clean them up, there is a special tool for this that costs a couple of dollars.

3. Verify the wire to the starter is tight. Look for the Pos (+) of the battery, there are several wires attached to the terminal on the battery. Find one of the bigger ones and trace it towards the passenger side of the car. It will go to the starter. It has a protective boot (about the size of a walnut) over where it screws down to the starter terminal. Check to ensure that this terminal is not loose (cannot move the cable in any direction by hand).

I would follow these check before I replaced the solenoid/starter. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorry about the loss of your spouse. :shake

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Yes, sad to hear your news, katjapurrs.

The other aspect of the ignition is to simply clean the contacts on the wires of the starter and battery as crankcase suggests. If you can move the wires then it's likely they have corrosion and should be tightened.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

I also suspect loose or dirty connections.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Memphis metro

While replacing a starter is a easy operation on most vehicles, for someone who has not done one such as yourself and from the sound of your post personally I think you would be better served having someone do it for you. Maybe someone near you on this forum will speak up and offer to take a look at it for you. As for having autozone test it, I dont trust their diagnoses of starters, batteries or alternators as far as I could throw them. Thats just me. Sorry to hear about your spouse, I have been married 18 years and I know I would miss mine. I hope things work out as for getting your car fixed.

katjapurrs
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hey all!
I tried cleaning the battery... same result, so i dug around a bit and i found it :)
2 hours later i had it out and in my hand... I was so happy with myself I danced around with grease all over my hands and face and a starter motor in my hand singin "I don't needa man! I don't needa maaan!" I think that scared the mailman a bit! LOL! took it down to autozone, they tested it and said it was bad and sold me a remanufactured one... i put it back in the car and jumped it with the oldsmobile aaaand....

I could hear the starter working, but it still wouldn't start...

after a little frustration i realized that it had been sitting like 2 months and the fuel lines were probably empty, so i jacked up the back of the car a bit and tried it again...

:) SUCCESS!!! :)

I drove the car all the way home and now it starts just fine!! :)

Hubby would be so proud :)

Thanks again guys :)

Memphis metro

Great, I am glad for you!

This songs for you, http://popup.lala.com/popup/504684659306326776

70s@80s rock and roll, Love it!

Keep pushing.
Edited by Memphis metro, May 19 2010, 05:40 PM.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Congratulations! :thumb :thumb

Two months, eh. We use a product called Seafoam. Try Seafoam Maintenance. At least the Throttle Body (TB), (fuel injected) and gas tank. Here's a YouTube video...

However, you can Seafoam the TB by yourself if you pour the Seafoam down the TB, removing the air cleaner. I use a funnel, start the engine, pour Seafoam and keep it from flooding by twisting the throttle on the TB. I flood it with the last ounce and wait 15 minutes, go for a short drive.

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

Nice job! my 91 convertible had a bad starter too :) I know the joy of having a functional starter again :) I just did mine last week :) Its much better than having to push start the car every time.
Edited by mcmancuso, May 19 2010, 07:28 PM.

drdan52000
Member Avatar
Old Wrench
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Johnny Mullet
May 19 2010, 02:54 PM
I also suspect loose or dirty connections.
I'm with JM on this one.
^o) ^o) ^o)

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Glad you got it going! Women can do a lot! We have a female member here rebuilding her engine :thumb
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

Way to go! We're all proud of you.

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

katjapurrs
May 19 2010, 05:17 PM
Hey all!
I tried cleaning the battery... same result, so i dug around a bit and i found it :)
2 hours later i had it out and in my hand... I was so happy with myself I danced around with grease all over my hands and face and a starter motor in my hand singin "I don't needa man! I don't needa maaan!" I think that scared the mailman a bit! LOL! took it down to autozone, they tested it and said it was bad and sold me a remanufactured one... i put it back in the car and jumped it with the oldsmobile aaaand....

I could hear the starter working, but it still wouldn't start...

after a little frustration i realized that it had been sitting like 2 months and the fuel lines were probably empty, so i jacked up the back of the car a bit and tried it again...

:) SUCCESS!!! :)

I drove the car all the way home and now it starts just fine!! :)

Hubby would be so proud :)

Thanks again guys :)
See? I told you it was easy. ^o)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply