Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
tranny fluid leak - cv axle worn out
Topic Started: Jun 16 2010, 08:50 PM (3,082 Views)
dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

After I drive for a while and park my 96 5 spd I notice a puddle of transaxle fluid under the car. It seeps out from the passenger cv axle seal. Seems that the cv axle is pulling out from the transaxle and leaves a space between the tranaxle seal and the cv axle. I have put a new c-clip on the end of the axle -was thinking the old one was worn out- but the axle still keeps popping out. I then went to a local transmission shop and asked the owner what he thought of my problem and he thought I had a cv axle going bad. His thinking was that if the cv axle was becoming tight then whenever i turned a corner the axle would bind up and thus cause the axle to pull out of the transaxle case.

Any one have some input on this thinking?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

captain1.0

Are you sure you are getting the axle all the way in when you install it?

iamgeo
Member Avatar
Is that a fact....or just a rumor?

Have you replaced the seal?

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

If you replace the $10 seal, you will have to take the CV out. Then you can inspect the CV. The CV should not make noises when you bend it.... like your elbow. A bad one will make clicking/clacking noises when you bend it. A replacement CV is under $100. Let us know what you find.

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

Also check the control arm mounting points and frame, along with the control arm itself and the ball joints and tie rod ends for excessive play. Make sure the wheel bearing is tight on that side. Excessive play in these elements can cause the CV to be pulled out from the engine, especially in turns.

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

Possible wrong axle?
The 96 uses a longer axle than the 91.
If it was replaced at some point with the wrong unit, it would pull out on turns.
Just a thought.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

:hmm

Worn motor mounts and/or frame rust?

Murf 59
Member Avatar

If the axle is the right one. And you have a good new C clip on it. I am betting that the spyder gear is worn on the inside of the tranaxle. I had one that was worn pretty badly. If the clip is new. And the axle new, and same with the seal. And that is left is what it is sticking inside of. I am not sure if you can buy just a set of spyder and side gears. You may have to get a whole diff assy. If it is leaking. Make sure to keep it full of fluid until you can get it repaired correctly.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

The axle worked great for a few years. I've had the transaxle out of the car to replace the clutch, but that was about 3 years ago. I put new seals in when I did the clutch work. when the leak started I replaced the seals, again. I put new wheel bearings on both sides about a month ago. I tightened the axle nut to spec. still the axle is pulling out of the transaxle housing. There is absolutly no rust on the underside of this vehicle. so the A pillars are in perfect shape. all mounting points are tight. I still need to pull the axle this weekend to see if it is seizing up. I like Mr. Murphs explaination but hate to think that is the cause. Any pics of a spider gear? any better description of how the spider gear is wearing? Would a large c-clip help keep the axle inside the transaxle?

thanks for the replys
terry

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

Here's a pic of the differential removed, you can see the bearing on the differential side where the CV goes in. This is where the spider gears are:
Posted Image

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

thanks for the pic. I guess I was looking for a close up of the inside of the spider gear. was wondering if it spider gear is straight or has a cone shape where the axle fits into it. I figure if it is cone shaped then that might cause the axle to fall out. if it is straight then the c-clip might have worn some metal off the inside of the spider gear which causes it to slide out.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

No its parallel. A simple test is remove the axle and try just poking it into the spyder gear and see just how easy it pops out. Normally, you need a small pry bar to pull the axle out of the spyders. So if it wants to leap out. Or you can pull it out easily with your hands its an internal problem.

Aronkovacs
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bad Bent
Jun 17 2010, 12:34 AM
:hmm

Worn motor mounts and/or frame rust?
THought of that, but what can you do?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply