Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Steering wheel shaking over 65mph..
Topic Started: Jun 19 2010, 11:54 AM (2,766 Views)
yoshiki2
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Steering wheel shakes while I am driving over 65 mph on the freeway.. I did not know about this problem.. Because I just bought this car.. and no1 used it for almost a year...
Do I need just an alignment? or something else?
I'm just trying my car on the freeway and I discovered that..
Also.. it takes a while to speed it up.. specially in 3rd, 4th and 5th..
Edited by yoshiki2, Jun 19 2010, 12:59 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

What do you consider a "while"?

The shaking can be a couple of things, has it just started?

yoshiki2
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
First time I noticed it... last owner told me it never happened before, though.
No1 used that car for almost a year..

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

99% of of the time this is a wheel balance issue. IE you threw a weight off a wheel and its "unbalanced" now. since you feel it in the steering wheel its a front wheel. Take it to a tire place and have them rebalance the front wheels.

Before you go check your bearings check your ball joints tie rods etc.. ie jack up wiggle the tire. any "play" is something to look into but these parts will usually make a "noise" you will notice. No noise likely confirms a wheel balance issue.

these cars are not fast. 0-60 time is likely 14-20 seconds depending on your load so it may seem like a long time.

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Rub your hands all the way around both steering tires and see if you feel a bubble on one of them. A bubble usually is a shifted cord and you feel it at higher speeds. If you find one with a bubble, replace tire.

Edited by Big Rhino, Jun 19 2010, 02:07 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cobb

I use to havethis over 60 and it was the cvc joints. Does it click, snap or pop when making tight turns?

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I agree with Nerys on jacking it up and shaking it down.

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

if the car didn't move for a year it's possible that the tires developed flat spots. They will act like out of balance tires but weights won't help them. Most flat spots are visible or might even be felt as you run your hands over the tread surface.

Horn

Before you just go down there and rub ur hand on the tires make sure you have tread on them and make sure no steel wires are poking out. It hurts like a biotch when you get poked with those. and very likely it could off balance. check to make sure the tires are ok and then rotate the front ones to the back and see if there is any difference when driving.

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

I would bet the highest priced steak dinner in Memphis it is a bad tire. Which often comes from inflation issues or as stated above sitting extended periods without running.

As for the balance. I agree with balancing, but I just installed four new tires on my geo after rebuilding the engine back in the spring and I told them dont worry about the balancing because I am tight, which is something I dont never do but I did this time. I hit the road with that thing and it is tight, no shimmy, no nothing. When I buy tires and mount them myself at home, I never balance them. Usually only when I buy and have them mounted somewhere else. Now who knows how my tires are going to wear but the balance did not make any differance with driving performance. A lot of large trucking firms never balance tires on them big tires. Again I am for balancing and have seen it make a differance. I am just telling you what my geo did a couple of months ago.

Edited by Big Rhino, Jun 19 2010, 03:32 PM.

yoshiki2
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
what is the air pressure recommended on this tires?

Potter
Member Avatar
Col. Potter

enginedoctorgeo
Jun 19 2010, 03:06 PM
I would bet the highest priced steak dinner in Memphis it is a bad tire. Which often comes from inflation issues or as stated above sitting extended periods without running.

As for the balance. I agree with balancing, but I just installed four new tires on my geo after rebuilding the engine back in the spring and I told them dont worry about the balancing because I am tight, which is something I dont never do but I did this time. I hit the road with that thing and it is tight, no shimmy, no nothing. When I buy tires and mount them myself at home, I never balance them. Usually only when I buy and have them mounted somewhere else. Now who knows how my tires are going to wear but the balance did not make any differance with driving performance. A lot of large trucking firms never balance tires on them big tires. Again I am for balancing and have seen it make a differance. I am just telling you what my geo did a couple of months ago.

Forget the steak id take a dinner at Corkeys BBQ :drool (pork bbq place for those who don't know Memphis)

id take it and get the tires balanced and a 4 wheel alignment... I'm thinkin either a slung weight or a bad ball joint.
Edited by Potter, Jun 19 2010, 03:47 PM.

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

I would say 30 to 32 psi on the tire psi. No more than 5 psi what is rated on the side of the tire. You may not know it but they stamp it on the side of the tire max inflation. Take a look and see what yours says like ky says below.

Edited by Big Rhino, Jun 19 2010, 04:00 PM.

KY Metro
Member Avatar

Check the tire. Mine are rated 44psi, as are many small tires.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I run 45 in 44 MAX tires.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply