Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Metro Durability; How long can I expect it to last?
Topic Started: Jun 24 2010, 05:51 PM (2,717 Views)
Jonw92lsi
[ *  * ]
Don't know if this should be here or in the Tech section - but I'll consider it to be a factor of performance.

I just got my 92 LSi 4 door hatchback back on the road after a spate of body work that included patching rust holes in the floor, rocker panels, and in the roof at the windshield line. In my limited experience I think it will be about 5 years before the rust starts showing through again. SO...will my drive train last that long?

It's got the 3 cylinder engine, 5 speed tranny. The odometer reads about 99,600 miles. I assume that if it had a 6-digit odometer there would be a 1 in front of that, but I don't really know since I've only owned it a couple of years. The engine leaks/burns about a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I change the oil about every 3000 miles, and so far have just used conventional oil. I haven't touched the transmission oil or the coolant yet - maybe I ought to do that pretty soon. I had the timing belt out a few months after I bought it and it looked brand new like someone had changed it just before (incorrectly, I'm pretty sure it was off by one tooth). I don't hear any knocks, pings, rattles, etc from the engine.

With regular maintenance, how long will these engines last? And the transmissions?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mjspiess
Member Avatar

There's already a post on this exact topic somewhere on this forum... There's a guy on this forum with over 300K miles on his original engine & tranny. I'm at 194K, but rebuilt the head @ 186k (blown head gasket due to bad water pump) & put in a diff. tranny with 43k on it from an XFi. My original tranny still worked just fine, but I wanted a diff. final drive. Does not burn any oil, so bottom end was untouched.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mr Murf 59
Member Avatar

Changing out the fluid in the trans about every 12,000 miles is the standard. Some manufactures say as many as 15k. If you have the stock 90w oil, go to something thinner like 30w. Some of the guys like the syncromesh. But its over priced. A by product of the gears running on each other is small metal particles. Changing out the fluid when its hot gets most of it out. Those metal particles go threw the bearings and cause damage. You may see a little brass in it to. That is normal if the trans has been taken care off.

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

mjspiess
Jun 24 2010, 06:05 PM
There's already a post on this exact topic somewhere on this forum... There's a guy on this forum with over 300K miles on his original engine & tranny.
That guy would be me. I should pass 370,000 miles on the original engine and transmission in the next week.
It's my 100 mile/day commuter. No issues with rust out here in calif and the weather is pretty nice though.

Dave
Edited by JellyBeanDriver, Jun 24 2010, 06:50 PM.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I would say 450k+ on the engine, and near a million on the transmission. Assuming you don't drive over 55mph, and have a good regular maintenance schedule.

I have 250k on mine, and it was NOT driven nicely.
Edited by Coche Blanco, Jun 24 2010, 06:53 PM.

Horn

12k on trans fluid? I thought that was for regular oil.....aw crap I better change it. lol

Woodie
Member Avatar

I'd never change manual transmission fluid before 60K, but Mr Murf knows more about transmissions than anyone here. Factory Shop Manual says 24K if used for short trips, no mention of the manual fluid at all in the highway use maintenance schedule.

I consider new valves and rings to be scheduled maintenance for a G10 engine around 150K miles.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

How long a car last is directly proportional to your maintenance and "luck" (accidents etc..)

If you proactively care for the car and pre emptively attack things like rust it should in theory last longer than you will.

Metro Fanatic
Member Avatar

Just care for the car. I do oil changes every 3 or 4K w/ fully synthetic. I change trans oil about every 25 or 30K. I use synchromesh for that. It's more expensive but I quickly anthropomorphize my cars and want them to last.
2 running geos I drive are at 180K and 122K (both 1992s)

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

Its more than drivetrain maintenance. Body and frame maintenance. IE keeping rust and repair up to snuff. I proactively "oil" my cars before every winter etc.. spraying oil in all frame holes etc..

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
Geo Stalker

nerys
Jun 25 2010, 08:38 PM
Its more than drivetrain maintenance. Body and frame maintenance. IE keeping rust and repair up to snuff. I proactively "oil" my cars before every winter etc.. spraying oil in all frame holes etc..
I agree with Nerys....the engine and tranny can be running strong but the frame could go on you and it becomes a parts car. I just picked up a parts car tonight with 161k on the engine but the unibody frame went out on it. Shame too, because it was running so well. It's definitely something to pay attention to.

dimetrodon

Woodie
Jun 25 2010, 05:26 AM
I'd never change manual transmission fluid before 60K, but Mr Murf knows more about transmissions than anyone here.

I consider new valves and rings to be scheduled maintenance for a G10 engine around 150K miles.

Agree on both points. Mullet and I have both mentioned changing our Synchromesh at 30,000 miles and finding it so clean that we wasted our money. So changing the Synchromesh oil at an interval of 50 or 60K miles is probably safe for anyone with a longer commute. If you drive in stop and go traffic... maybe the shorter interval would make some sense.

hotrodfeguy
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I am close to 200K on my 94 no rebuild yet. I did change my trans fluid 3 years ago and went with ATF. Still on the original clutch also!

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

ATF in a standard? I'd drain that and put some good Syncromesh in it.

Jonw92lsi
[ *  * ]
OK so that brings up a few more questions -

1) when you spray oil in all the frame holes, what do you use? WD40?

2)Valve and ring job at 150K - does this include new bearing shells? Why not a complete rebuild?

3) what brand of synchromesh do you recommend?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply