Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
winter tires??
Topic Started: Aug 5 2010, 10:12 PM (2,326 Views)
bluefever
[ *  * ]
it looks like i might be buying an xfi metro,i believe tirerack says the tire size is 145/12,they only list one tire for it,does anyone on here know of a snow tire that's available in this size,preferably studdable???
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rooy

12" winter tires are going to be hard to find. Regular 12" tires are getting scarce. The best option is to upgrade to 13" wheels as found on 95 and later Metros and the convertible model.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

If you can find stud-able 12's then WalMart will put studs in for $8.50 according to their web site. Looks like they don't have any 12s. Mine are Goodyear 'Ultra Grip' 145/80R12 and maybe 3 years old. goodyeartires.com/1991 Geo Metro

Call around? :dunno

If not the getting some 13" rims and tires would be the way to go. If you get them the same height as or close to the 12's you might consider just installing studded front tires. I have driven the last two seasons with front studded tires only and it's fairly safe. Legally I know Les Schwab says they will stud the drive wheels: front: 2, rear: 2, four wheel drive: 4.

Hope that helps.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

You could move to Alabama... ;)

3cyltom
Member Avatar

155-80-13 firestone winterforce. they are the king shizt on snow. have a dedicated pair i put on the front of my metro for winter time. it has factory 12's on it. it slows down the speedo just a bit, 70 is like 74-75. but the grip is worth it. they are studdable, but never did mine. i got them off tirerack.com. well worth the trouble to find a pair of 13's and 2 tires.

bluefever
[ *  * ]
what will that do to mpg though?

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Help on the highway, hurt in the city.

bluefever
[ *  * ]
i poked around on ebay a little and found these goodyears i guess they are : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/145-80R-12-12-MUD-SNOW-Tires-4-Ford-Festiva-Geo-Metro-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZSectionQ2520WidthQ3a145Q7cAspectQ2520RatioQ3a80Q7cRimQ2520DiameterQ3a12QQitemZ350358457042QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

$220-with free shipping,they seem to offer decent tread,they have 4 or 5 auctions with 23 lots of 4 available if anyone else is interested. :rocker

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

:hmm That looks like a good buy considering www.tirerack.com/1991 Metro wants $192 a set plus at least $40 to ship for Yokohama Y372 Passenger All Season tires.

kurtis1971
Member Avatar

sfiend1
Aug 6 2010, 12:21 PM
155-80-13 firestone winterforce. they are the king shizt on snow. have a dedicated pair i put on the front of my metro for winter time. it has factory 12's on it. it slows down the speedo just a bit, 70 is like 74-75. but the grip is worth it. they are studdable, but never did mine. i got them off tirerack.com. well worth the trouble to find a pair of 13's and 2 tires.
i have to agree with the firestone winter force they are some very good tires

bluefever
[ *  * ]
well i just figured it was a good option for people who didn't want to swap up to 13's quite yet on their metro's. :cheers

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

even with good snow tires
the metros suck in the snow , my Passat or my Audi easily out perform my metro and the Audi has Michellin Harmony LRR Highway tires on it , not snow tires .

the Geo metro transaxles do not have anything to keep one side from slipping relative to the other so if one wheel gets loose
you are dead in the snow . (pun intended)

but
there is a thread in this forum with other wheels that will fit
you can search on craiglook not craigslist for wheels from the list
then get snow tires to match
Nokian Hakkapalita and Bridgestone Blizzack snows outperform every thing else by no small amount
also available on craiglook

some of the Hakkapalita s are LRR tires

i am leaning toward car white's solution ...
move south ... but my wife does not like big spiders or snakes .

Rooy

I wouldn't say Metros suck in the snow. Snow tires make a world of a difference compared to all-seasons. I have some Dunlop Graspic DS2s (an inexpensive snow tire) for my Metro--on 13" wheels--and it gets around great in Wisconsin winters.

No need for 4WD, AWD, traction control, limited slip differentials, or whatever else to drive in the snow.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

No need for AWD or 4wd...most of the time.

Woodie
Member Avatar

I've always found Metros to be quite good in the snow, at least with stock sized all season tires. My lowered 98 with the 195/50-15's is awful, but it was great when I first got it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tires/Wheels/Bearings/Brakes · Next Topic »
Add Reply