Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
broken key in ignition switch
Topic Started: Aug 18 2010, 12:07 AM (2,329 Views)
northsacboy
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
HELP I just got home and when I turned off the ignition the first 1/4 inch of my key broke off in the ignition switch. I tried using jewelry Thanks, Tim :smackface
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

northsacboy
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sorry, screwdrivers and no luck. Comments and suggestions PLEASE. Thanks, Tim

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

http://geometroforum.com/topic/2738816/1/
http://geometroforum.com/topic/2175437/1/
Edited by Jittney, Aug 18 2010, 12:49 AM.

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar
Is that a challenge?

Put some super glue on on the end of whats left on the key and jam it in. Hold it in as hard/tight as you can for 1:30 min then pull out the whole key

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

you could just leave it in there, and just push the rest of the key in if the end isn't bent. Just be sure not to loose the rest of the key ;)

slander
Member Avatar
Tech Certified

mcmancuso
Aug 18 2010, 11:21 AM
you could just leave it in there, and just push the rest of the key in if the end isn't bent. Just be sure not to loose the rest of the key ;)
I drove my convertible like that for a few years. Left the broken off key in the ignition and used the remainder of the key to start the vehicle. The ignition locked just fine, and I used my spare key to lock/unlock the doors, so it never bothered me any.

superduty5.9
Member Avatar
Metro Defender

Love your avatar pic northsacboy! I'm an IH fan too!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

northsacboy
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks everyone that got back to me regarding my key issue. I called a locksmith and an hour and a half later we had the partial key out, the kicker is we had to remove the steering column and drill the roll pins that hold the cylinder in place. I'm now on my way to pick up a new cylinder. Hopefully I'll have it back together tonite and I'll report back. Tim

slander
Member Avatar
Tech Certified

Seems overly severe if you ask me.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Funny. Mine broke too, this AM. On the way to work while I stopped at the local store. But mine is not gonna work by jamming the rest of the key in. I priced a new set of tumblers. It comes with a new ign. switch too. $284. from the local dealer. I hope I don't have to go that way. Gonna check out the local bone yard Fri

superduty5.9
Member Avatar
Metro Defender

Mr Murf 59
Aug 18 2010, 05:53 PM
It comes with a new ign. switch too. $284. from the local dealer.
How do they sleep at night? :smackface :banghead :die
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

northsacboy
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
All back together and working fine. Mr Murph I paid $17.00 for the cylinder alone. It was a real b***h to change as I had to drill three roll pins that hold the cylinder in place. I had to remove the steering column in order to have operating room for the drill. When I reinstalled the new cylinder I tapped one of the roll pin holes and put in a set screw to hold the cylinder in place. It wasn't too bad, and these cars are really quite simple to work on. Tim :thumb

idmetro
Member Avatar

Here's two other options:
1)Pull the ignition switch from the car and take it to the locksmith, Way less than $284 to get the broken key fished out and a new key made.
2)Alternatively acquire a "new to you" ignition switch from the local pick and pull, take it and your spare key (you do have one don't you?) to the locksmith and have the switch rekeyed to fit your exisiting key, again way less expensive and this keeps all locks on the car operating on the same key.

PA.metro,fixer,frames,ect
Frame Fixer

well-just did one of these, remove all the stuff off coulum,remove from car,all you have in your hand is shaft,with ign switch,,,,,point ign downward to floor- on two by four, or card board, in off position, i held key detent back,,, few hard swings ,key little by little, moved out till grabbed it --took two pices and had new one made- was the only key- was pretty easy, hour to get coulum out and swinging..your hitting the round part,where you put the key into ,,down flat against the floor- hard,, and i used a shot of pb blaster...
Edited by PA.metro,fixer,frames,ect, Dec 12 2010, 02:25 PM.

ieatworld
[ *  * ]
i been driving my car with the key stuck in it for about a year now and lately i had to keep the doors unlocked too because sometimes the locks wont open when its ridiculously cold outside. im considering changing the ignition switch. Any idea how much it will cost me at the scrap yard? should i respectively get an ignition switch the same as my metro year model? also, how do i take it out? (i dont care using different keys to open the door and the ignition)

i drive a 99 chevy metro

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply