Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
metro hard to start...help please; 98 metro 1.0L
Topic Started: Sep 2 2010, 07:45 PM (927 Views)
jodyf
[ *  * ]
The car: 98 metro with 1.0L 3 cyl.
The problem: Car starts very hard after sitting for a while. Sometimes takes more than 10 tries to start it. Turns over for a long time, sometimes fires a little and then eventually it usually starts.
The details: Car runs and drives fine after it starts. Once it starts you can turn it off immediately, and then it starts right back up. Even an hour or two later it will start fine. After sitting overnight it is very difficult to start. It seems to have good fuel pressure. I have put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. If anyone has any ides, I would love to here them. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them. Thank you :x
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

idmetro
Member Avatar

Welcome to the forum! To run your engine has to have compression, fuel and spark. The first thing it will be recommended you do is run a compression test, the results will tell a lot about the condition of your engine and may give some clues towards your solution.

Does your car have an automatic or manual transaxle? I have no doubt others will also chime in with thoughts.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

When the engine is warm, the compression is higher allowing it to run. Cranking the engine for 10 seconds will also warm up the combustion chambers and help it run. Perform a compression test. If you find it needs a rebuild, then imagine how it will run when running at full power :thumb

Let us know!

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

FYI click on; DIY Compression Test ;)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply