Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to test an O2 sensor?
Topic Started: Sep 3 2010, 09:15 PM (1,564 Views)
1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

After a week of trying to figure out the hesitation on my project car, I need to step back and take a new look at the problem. I just finished reading the search feature for hesitation, and one of the things mentioned, is to check the O2 sensor.
I'm wondering what equipment is needed to check the O2 sensor, and how do you do it? :hmm
The car is a 94 XFI with a 3/5.

Thanks in advance, :thumb
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

yiffzer
Forgot His Manpurse

Usually if the O2 sensor looks clean (not full of grime), then it's likely still a good sensor. As long as P0136 or another error doesn't show up.

Then again, an O2 sensor is only $20 to $70 (depending on where you look).

Rooy

per mwebb: "at 2k rpm hot; verify front 02 sensor is cycling from about 100mv to over 800mv and back with a DVOM"

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

:+1 on what Rooy said, don't just look at it or the 2nd Mwebb quote comes into play, Mwebb: "Test, do not guess" . Wonder if I can interest Mwebb in a joint bumper sticker of sayings venture :hmm

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

bogs
Sep 4 2010, 11:01 AM
:+1 on what Rooy said, don't just look at it or the 2nd Mwebb quote comes into play, Mwebb: "Test, do not guess" . Wonder if I can interest Mwebb in a joint bumper sticker of sayings venture :hmm

if you agree to include

you can not polish a turd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyFeoyKpi4

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

Rooy
Sep 4 2010, 03:22 AM
per mwebb: "at 2k rpm hot; verify front 02 sensor is cycling from about 100mv to over 800mv and back with a DVOM"
at 2k rpm hot; verify front 02 sensor is cycling from about 100mv to over 800mv and
from 850mv to 150mv
in 100 milliseconds or less

Posted Image

if you are using a graphing scan tool , what is above is "good enough"
if you are using a scope
it is not

if you are using a DVOM you can not see rate of change , but you can look at peak values and they must be
at 2k rpm hot; verify front 02 sensor is cycling from about 100mv to over 800mv and
from 850mv to 150mv
in 100 milliseconds or less

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Well, the era of the music was dead on for me :thumb unfortunately, Mythbusters proved you *can* polish a turd, so I guess the bumper stickers thing is bust :)

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

bogs
Sep 5 2010, 02:24 AM
Well, the era of the music was dead on for me :thumb unfortunately, Mythbusters proved you *can* polish a turd, so I guess the bumper stickers thing is bust :)
yes they did .... in a controlled environment in a laboratory using imported poop from some exotic place .....

and it is possible to dip it (the turd , any turd , not an exotic imported turd although that will work as well ) in liquid nitrogen , where in the poop will be frozen , and become
polish-able
but
in the real world
in conditions the masses are exposed to

you can not polish a turd
try it some time
use gloves

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

The new 2011 Monthly Doos calendar is out! Help raise awareness of dog owners NOT picking up after their dogs. Well at least your awareness of people's lack of concern for others' by not cleaning up after their dog, in a humorous way. :lol

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

www.monthlydoos.com NOT polished but they do make pretty pictures.
Sorry for the thread jack.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply