Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Clogged Cat Converter symptoms
Topic Started: Oct 19 2010, 10:30 AM (4,058 Views)
jblackie47803
[ *  * ]
I was told by my exhaust guy a few years ago that it sounded like my catalytic converter was beginning to plug up. He said to let it ride for the time being in the interest of money savings. Now my car is starting to buck and hesitate every so often at highway speeds, particularly when going down-hill. It occasionally dies at stoplights as well. Does this sound like a stopped up converter to anyone? Any other possible causes? No "check engine" light constantly on, but it does flash on and off during the bucking episodes. It is the 1.0L 3 cylinder and has about 123k miles.
Edited by jblackie47803, Oct 19 2010, 10:32 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

you have misfire
most likely spark related

you should have 2 DTCs a P0300 and a P030X
where X is the misfiring cylinder

stop driving the car now as this is a cat killer
====================
restricted exhaust will increase MAP at cruise , which will show up as LTFT subtracting at cruise but good at idle
intake vacuum at cruise will also be lower than expected

which increases MAP as Baro - intake vacuum = MAP

Horn

test don't guess......haha said it before mwebb.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

When checking the '96 for OBDII codes my little $35 eBay code reader will give pending codes along with the one that is causing the CEL. So, yeah, either you or your mechanic should find mwebbs codes one way or another.

Always better to test for the cause of the problem, eh.

A lot of stuff is Do It Yourself.. One catalytic converter test is the smell of rotten eggs or another is to disconnect the cat at the exhaust manifold and a short drive will tell if it is running better, less restricted. If it is your catalytic converter, like it's the original, it will cost $142 to $165 to replace (maybe at autopartswarehouse.com/Catalytic+Converters). I just changed an P2 sensor and it was 4 bolts, the rubber shock absorber and unplug the sensor., Change the sensor to the new assy. and reassemble.

captain1.0

A truly clogged converter will give loss of power if the engine will run at all. You step on the gas and it will not give throttle to higher rpms. I think a lot of people condemn the converter when it really is not bad. One of the main reasons a converter will go bad is a engine that misses and is not running properly and raw gas is getting to converter causing it to overheat or carbon is getting to it and clogging the fine orfices in the converter. If you can get your rpms up with the snap of the throttle then your cat is not clogged. As for your problem, dying while at a stoplight. I would suggest you do a compression test and see what the results of that are. Have you ever tuned the engine up with new plugs and wires? A compression test of the engine is where I would start for sure. The 1.0 engine is known for burnt valves and a rough idle or dying engine is a good sign of that. Welcome to geo metro forum.

jblackie47803
[ *  * ]
I still haven't done a compression check. Been dragging my feet on this thing and driving my other cars. If it had burnt valve(s) wouldn't the problem be more than intermittent? It still runs really good and as strong as ever except for when the stumbling/stalling problem rears its head. Wouldn't burnt valves cause rough or weak acceleration and/or cruising nearly constantly?
Edited by jblackie47803, Dec 2 2010, 07:51 AM.

zcrayfish
Member Avatar
Chatroom Addict...
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
jblackie47803
Oct 19 2010, 10:30 AM
Now my car is starting to buck and hesitate every so often at highway speeds, particularly when going down-hill.
Are you pressing the clutch pedal during these down-hill episodes by chance?

jblackie47803
[ *  * ]
nope. Not really even letting up on the accelerator much

sarGEOnt york
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
what happened? what was the cause of the problem? i hate it when a topic just dies and you never find out what the cause was. its like watchin a good movie and never gettin to see the last 10 minutes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Intake and Exhaust Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply