Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
3tech valves
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 05:42 PM (771 Views)
cabman
[ *  *  * ]
Getting ready to go through my head and plan on using 3tech's polished s/s exhaust valves. Has anyone used these in an otherwise stock application or with a minor polish and gasket match. What was your observations as for as performance and mileage?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I use these in 95% of all my builds. Observations were that the car ran again because the old valves were burnt.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

Excellant Observation JM! Seriously tho, what's the difference between the SS black (non polished) & SS shiny valves? Shiny for those wanting the chrome look?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

92blumetro
Member Avatar

i have installed a complete cyl head from mike(3 tech)stainless oversize ported polished 6+gear&cam great combo.imo ssvalves last much longer,take more heat&abuse.also my exp from lpg motors,ss doesnt "burn" as easy

cabman
[ *  *  * ]
I would really have liked to get a 3tech head package but not enough money right now. I also have this dream of a 16v 1.3 for my convertible. Car Nut has kinda stated my question in a different manner. If the non polished s/s is a replacement valve what will the polishing help with? Flow? Carbon buildup? I have asked four engine builders in my area and received four different answers.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

That's what I'm talkin' bout. Both are SS but one is polished. Major advantages???? 3Tech, you out there? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Murf 59
Member Avatar

I use 3Techs. They work great. I have used the other black SS one's and can't tell the difference, yet. But I have not torn either head apart yet. But I am trying to support one of the guys that helps support the Metro world.

cabman
[ *  *  * ]
They only other source that I have found is Manley. They offer their Port Flow valve. I shows pretty decent improvement on flow below the .300 mark but they are almost twice the price and the stem diameter is .2165 instead of .2144. You would need to spend a bunch more money to turn the valve down or do something with the guide. By time you do that you will probably have a very expensive valve compared to the 3tech.

Not technically a valve comment but I would love to see someone come out with a 12 valve head for the g10. :stoner
Edited by cabman, Jan 6 2011, 10:02 PM.

slander
Member Avatar
Tech Certified

cabman
Jan 6 2011, 10:00 PM
They only other source that I have found is Manley. They offer their Port Flow valve. I shows pretty decent improvement on flow below the .300 mark but they are almost twice the price and the stem diameter is .2165 instead of .2144. You would need to spend a bunch more money to turn the valve down or do something with the guide. By time you do that you will probably have a very expensive valve compared to the 3tech.

Not technically a valve comment but I would love to see someone come out with a 12 valve head for the g10. :stoner
The guides can be reamed to a larger stem size. I do it quite often with older engines with +0.003" valve stem sizes. Not sure how far these guides can be taken on a G10/G13 however.

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

cabman
Jan 6 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm wondering how one could fit 4 valves in there? :coffee

These are 5mm Oversized Polished Stainless
Posted Image
Pretty much fills the entire combustion chamber.

Maybe 4 Baby Valves? :dunno Seems one would end up with decreased flow. :news

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

snowfish
Jan 7 2011, 11:54 AM
Maybe 4 Baby Valves? :dunno Seems one would end up with decreased flow. :news
Yeah, they wouldn't/couldn't be the same size. :P

cabman
[ *  *  * ]
I might be wrong but doesn't the 1.3 have close to the same bore as the 1.0? I happened to run across this.
http://www.teamswift.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=12696
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23246&start=25

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Yep, that guy was in (insert Spanish speaking country) and they had a 1.0L limit for the engines in the rally he raced.

cabman
[ *  *  * ]
the 1.3 would be so much simpler but who said we were about simple. where's my hacksaw? :lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply