Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
priming the oil pump and the engine after complete rebuild
Topic Started: Feb 18 2011, 10:56 PM (2,268 Views)
ponzy

hi, this is my first post, long time lurker..... im gonna have a summer project which is rebuilding my 961.3L engine SOHC 8V(just one ignition coil). so i am reading stufff regarding about it. honestly speaking, i havent done anything that in-depth procedure before but after reading some of the tutorials here, i think i can manage to at least assemble and disassemble the engine (just dont know if i can fire it up succesfully). well, i have read some articles about rebuilding engines that "you have to prime the oil pump and engine prior to starting it the first time after a complete rebuild". is this true to our engines?

melling engine parts youtube channel

i cant seem to find the on some available pictures here and other forum the "oil pressure switch port" in our engine ; or the oil pump itself or maybe im just not reading/comprehending the whole rebuild how-to-tip. secondly, if theres oil pump and we need to prime it, how and what kind of "priming tool" we suppose to be using? is it some kind of an expensive tool or we can actually build one from our existing hand tools?

thanks
Edited by ponzy, Feb 18 2011, 11:24 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

The oil pump is driven off the front of the crankshaft.
Pull the wires from the coil and turn the motor over with the starter until she builds oil pressure.
Then reconnect the coil and fire her up.
You'll be O.K.

ponzy

metroschultz
Feb 18 2011, 11:21 PM
The oil pump is driven off the front of the crankshaft.
Pull the wires from the coil and turn the motor over with the starter until she builds oil pressure.
Then reconnect the coil and fire her up.
You'll be O.K.
cool......... i shall and will remember that ! :-)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply