Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Timing Belt Slipped?
Topic Started: Mar 27 2011, 05:01 PM (1,936 Views)
jhahle
[ *  * ]
93 Convertible - Running good on way to work at freeway speed, when suddenly lost power and started running rough. I think I was going up a hill and had downshifted, so it was running at a high rpm, maybe 5k - 6k. Still starts, but does not want to pick up speed when you open the throttle. Compression 185 in all 3 cyls. Distributor still tight. Vacuum is only about 10 psi before the MAP filter and needle vibrates a little, but vibration corresponds to the rough running. Checked the timing belt and found that with the crank pulley timing mark aligned with the 0 mark on the ignition timing scale and the distributor rotor pointed to no. 1, the cam sproket timing mark appears to be a couple of teeth to the right (clockwise) of the allignment mark on the valve cover. I have never had a timing belt actually slip and get out of time, but the symptoms seemed to make sense. What is puzzling me is that I would have expected the cam sprcket to be left of the mark if the belt had slipped a tooth or two. Any thoughts on this before I start tearing off belts and pulleys to replace the belt and tensioner?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BR549
[ *  *  * ]
Check the crank woodruff key.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

BR549
Mar 27 2011, 05:29 PM
Check the crank woodruff key.
:gp

Sounds most probable.

iamgeo
Member Avatar
Is that a fact....or just a rumor?

Maybe a ridge or two got ripped off the belt.

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

You don't line the bottom pulley up with the timing mark. You have to pull the cover off and line up the bottom gear with the pointer that is on the oil pump and then line up the top with the mark on the valve cover.

Ken....

jhahle
[ *  * ]
Right, but shouldn't it be close at 0 as that should be TDC on the first cylinder?

Woodie
Member Avatar

Yes, the outer pulley with the ignition timing mark is hard bolted to the inner sprocket with the pointer, there is no difference there. The whole shootin' match might have slipped on the crankshaft though. Drop a straw down the #1 spark plug hole and slowly turn the engine over until the straw is at it's highest point. Then look to see if the mark is aligned with 0°.

idmetro
Member Avatar

iamgeo
Mar 27 2011, 05:51 PM
Maybe a ridge or two got ripped off the belt.
:gp I have had teeth torn off the timing belt such that when you look at it, it is not broken and looks fine from the backside but definitely does not behave.

93metro
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
what was your actual problem?? i know that my 93 xfi the marks on the crank are not at TDC...

jhahle
[ *  * ]
The timing belt looked fine, but it had slipped by 2 teeth! I replace it, lining up all the marks, and voila - it runs fine once again.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

It would be a good idea to change out that timing belt for a new one. And check the tensioner to see if it is worn out or slipping and letting the belt jump. Is the Spirit rm still open in Jerome? Had some wild times in there

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Wahoo!! :banana
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

:thumb

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

!YAY!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply