Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Turn Signals not working; Need help figuring out whats wrong
Topic Started: Mar 27 2011, 06:14 PM (1,864 Views)
Alicia8657
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hello everyone!

I just recently was given a 95 Geo Metro Lsi. Its been sitting for almost 6 years lol Well it runs great! But for some reason the left hand side turn signals arent working. We got bulbs for it but it did nothing... the right hand side works fine. On the dash the turn signal light comes on & makes a clicking noise for the right hand turn signals but not for the left. Would anyone know why just the left side isnt working?

Also.... is there an online owners manual for a 95 metro?

Thank you,

- Alicia
Edited by Alicia8657, Mar 27 2011, 06:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Even though you have new bulbs they may not be making a good connection with in the sockets. Does the four way flasher work? Turn the flasher on and take a closer look at the light sockets on the left side and make sure they are getting good connections. Have you checked all your fuses under the dash? Sitting for that long would indicate to me a bad connection problem at the bulb socket. Welcome to the forum.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

:gp

If the 4 way flashers work then the problem may lie in the switch.

rmcelwee
Member Avatar

I'm currently having a problem where the front left signal is not working until I drive 10 minutes. I checked the bulb and blinker relay - both were fine. It turns out that the connector is not making a good connection (I guess it wiggles into place or something after 10 miles). I don't know if this is a common problem for the Metro but I figured I would throw it out there.

So you know which connector I am talking about:
Look at your fuse box. The fuses are facing downwards. There are some plugs that connect to the fuse box on that same side. One of them (I think it is the closest to the driver) is the cause of my problem. I haven't messed with it enough to come up with a solution though.

Alicia8657
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
enginedoctorgeo
Mar 27 2011, 07:53 PM
Even though you have new bulbs they may not be making a good connection with in the sockets. Does the four way flasher work? Turn the flasher on and take a closer look at the light sockets on the left side and make sure they are getting good connections. Have you checked all your fuses under the dash? Sitting for that long would indicate to me a bad connection problem at the bulb socket. Welcome to the forum.
The light sockets look great & the two little gold things that stick up in the socket are in great condition as well as the wireing & stuff. (Sorry not mechanically term inclined lol) Is the four way flasher the hazard lights? If so then only the right side works when you turn it on.

I did manage to locate the fuse box under the dash (which is very hard to see!) If it is a fuse... which fuse would it be? Would a bad fuse cause just the left side to not work? You would think that a bad fuse would make all the turn signals not work.

Sorry for all the questions....

Just trying to figure out the problem before I spend alot of money on something that could be a simple fix :)

Thanks everyone!

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Welcome to your new forum, Alicia8657! :coffee

It will likely be a simple fix, it's just finding it. Even taking the steering column apart is not that hard.

Take a look at this post for fuses. http://geometroforum.com/single/?p=256778&t=2559772

Just for giggles, I would pull them all and see how they look since the car is new-to-you. I prefer removing the driver's seat and laying on my back to perform anything fuse related. You might find some change under the seat. :thumb

Check out and maybe bookmark:
Diagrams 95-97
Online Repair Info (Manual)
Swift Manuals (same thing)

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Some cars have a fuse for both sides. I do not think any metros do but it does not hurt to check all fuses. You never know when someone has rewired something from its original setup. The most likely cause of your symptom is usually a bad bulb or bad socket connection. Since that does not seem to be the case it could be a harness connection somewhere that is not making a good connection for that side comming from the turn signal switch. A simple cheap 12 volt test light that you can buy from autozone or anywhere would be very helpful for checking to see if you are getting voltage to the bulb sockets. Yes the four way flasher would be called the hazzard lights. You also might try removing the turn signal relay and checking its connections and reinstalling it and seeing if that starts it to working. If these simple things do not fix it then you will need a test light or a voltmeter to start running down where your voltage is stopping at. Its a pretty simple circuit really, just a matter of running it down.

Alicia8657
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Bad Bent for that post! I got them bookmarked & it was very helpful!

How can you tell if a relay is bad? I looked at mine & reinstalled them but it did nothing. What is light 2 relay (RELAY T/LP) for?

I've checked all the fuses and they are okay as far as I can tell. Although I did discover that Im missing a fuse & relay for ABS :-/ Should I be worried about that?

I guess the next thing Im gonna do is look at the turn switch and see if its getting a bad connection in there & see if anyone had messed with the wiring.

Thanks everyone for yalls help! I hope I can figure this out :thumb

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
Geo Stalker

It could be a bad connection in the turn signal assembly itself. You would have to remove the steering wheel to switch it out, but if you know what you're doing it's a half hour job. I have one from a 95 if you need it.....send me an IM if interested.

Alicia8657
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Would I have to just replace the turn signal switch or do I have to get a combo switch?

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

The easiest way to test relays is using a tester like this,

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=relay+testers&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130132577559310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13550970476611148261&sa=X&ei=1qeQTZOiO8O1twfg5aGICQ&ved=0CC0Q8wIwAA#

But not everyone has one. You can do it with some wires if you understand how relays work and know where to put them. I would not be concerned about the abs fuse. The relay you are asking about should be your taillamp relay.

Here is the troubleshooting diagram for a 95, forget everything else and do these steps.

Posted Image
Hope this helps you, this is what a 95 manual says for steps to take. Probably going to end up being the switch or corroded connections at the plug connection that connects to the switch. 90metro has got your hookup for the switch and thats a good thing! :thumb

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
Geo Stalker

Alicia8657
Mar 28 2011, 10:10 AM
Would I have to just replace the turn signal switch or do I have to get a combo switch?
It's already a combo switch. The headlight/turn signal is on the left and the wipers is on the right. To replace, you would need to remove the steering wheel. You'll need some star shaped ratchets to remove the 2 screws to get the airbag component off. Remove the center bolt and disconnect the airbag, and the steering wheel should jimmy off.

Second, you'll need to "drop" the steering wheel column to gain easier access to the wiring, which runs to the fuse box. There may be a metal plate held in by 4 screws. Once removed, there are two 12mm bolts (I think they're 12mm anyway!) that drop the column a bit. From that point on you'll see how the turn signal assembly wireloom runs all the way back to the fuse box. The airbag wireloom, which is probably yellow.....you'll leave that alone.

There are probably some black zip ties that hold the looms to the steering column. Just cut with scissors to free everything up. Unplug the connectors from the fuse box, pull the old one out, and replace with a new one, and you'll be good to go. I've done this several times, and when you know what you're doing it takes 30 minutes or less. Otherwise it may take you 2 hours the first time.

Alicia8657
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Awesome! Thanks alot! Im a so glad I found this forum!

Im gonna get a friend who is more mechanically inclined than I am to help me test it out & pull off the steering wheel & stuff.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply