Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Leaking Water Pump; All Hands on deck guys need help asap
Topic Started: Apr 3 2011, 03:24 PM (1,393 Views)
chubart
Member Avatar

Just installed water pump gasket is on there, got everything back together not thinking the s.o.b. would leak but I filled up the radiator and drip drip drip theres a leak somewhere> what to do, i disassembling right now. Help everybody. Can't get to work w/out it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

chubart
Member Avatar

Is there a bolt to the three o'clock of the tensioner behind the pie shape metal piece. Where you at tech's JM BB c'mon need you now!

Suzuki Steve
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
how about the pipe that goes in the back-side? did u use a new o-ring?

chubart
Member Avatar

didn't mess with a pipe s.s.

chubart
Member Avatar

everything is super tight doesn't appear to be missing any bolts picked up the old one and all the bolts and nuts are accounted for and tight. GRRR

Suzuki Steve
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
hmmm. what was your reason for replaceing pump? if it was a leak, then it might have been that pipe. Mine has been stupid a few times.

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

chubart
Apr 3 2011, 03:26 PM
Is there a bolt to the three o'clock of the tensioner behind the pie shape metal piece. Where you at tech's JM BB c'mon need you now!
Yes.
Posted Image
Hope this helps.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoRating
Member Avatar

Did you use some RTV in there? A good blue silicon (Sensor Safe) is good to use on the water pump gasket and all bolts installed into it, I've had some annoying gaskets that just don't want to sit right and RTV saves a lot of re-dissembling time.

Could always be a bad water pump out of the box too...

chubart
Member Avatar

I don't have a torque wrench so i'm not sure how tight to make everything. but i had everything pretty snug and it was a really good drip

96Geoman

Before you take the pump back off, find out where it is leaking.

There are some small hoses that go to the back of the intake manifold that carry coolant.

chubart
Member Avatar

Ok it's leaking somewhere at the new pump no hoses or what not. I am able to continue tightenin all the bolts and nuts how tight should they be I'm guessing this is why it's leaking.

96Geoman

The torque specifications are on this site. The bolts should be tightened with an INCH pound torque wrench, not a FOOT pound wrench.

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

chubart
Apr 3 2011, 03:41 PM
I don't have a torque wrench so i'm not sure how tight to make everything. but i had everything pretty snug and it was a really good drip
Don't make them too tight. Spec is 115 Inch Pounds.

Did you end up having a missing bolt?

chubart
Member Avatar

Bolts are accounted for. don't have a torque wrench.

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

Should still be fine. Just don't get to "manly" on them. LocTite Blue is a good idea since the torque is pretty low.

Unless the pump is bad out of the box, it can't leak. Provided All the old gasket was removed and all bolts are in place. Have you nailed down where it's leaking from? I know, it's a weird angle down there.

Gasket goop is really not necessary. More of a fail safe measure. I use Permatex copper spray "just in case".
Edited by snowfish, Apr 3 2011, 04:00 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply