Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
XFI Cam Specifications; How do you know??
Topic Started: Apr 26 2011, 06:31 PM (1,640 Views)
phwsteven
[ *  * ]
Hi All,

Have not posted in awhile. Can anyone tell mw how to identify an XFI Cam?? Any stamping or number marks etc..
That also includes the Cam gear. I know that the lobe profile is slightly different and the timing is somewhat advanced. Does anyone know what those stamps or specs are, this is killing me... :banghead
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

if you can compare it to a non XFi camshaft, it's pointier. the lobes are pointier.

phwsteven
[ *  * ]
Coche,
I have nothing to compare it too. I was hoping for numbers or measurements to identify this cam. I remember a long time ago someone posted the specs but I cannot find it. Any extra help would be greatly appreciated.
PS=Coche Blanco, does that mean what I think in Spanish?? Cool
Steve

mjspiess
Member Avatar

I know it doesn't help a ton, but here is a side-by-side XFi vs Base. There are measurements around here somewhere.

Posted Image

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Stock is:
330 /198
lift/duration

JohnDN

Here you go, this has some of the lobe specs. That's how I doubled checked that my cam was XFi.

Posted Image
Edited by JohnDN, Apr 26 2011, 08:33 PM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Standard is 40.5 mm, XFI is 39.5 mm

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Coche Blanco takes mental note of specs

phwsteven
[ *  * ]
Thank you everybody for the information. It was exactly what I was looking for. Now for the rest of the story.
It is an XFI Cam. the bad news. It's at its lower wear limit.
Now the question, should I attempt to install this into my 97 metro that's already tank averaging 47.5 mpg??
You're imput is needed.........

Thanks again,
Steve

Robertwb70
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wouldn't worry too much about the wear limits, most things on a 14 year old car are probably past their limits and still work fine. I say put it in and join the 50 MPG club.

mwebb
Member Avatar
FOG

do NOT use it if any of the surfaces that rub against something are scored or pitted or appear that they will grind away what ever they rub against ....
if all the bearing surfaces and cam lobes are smooth and no scratches can be detected with your fingernails ....it is probably safe to use

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply