Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
antenna replacement
Topic Started: May 5 2011, 12:46 AM (6,925 Views)
flyingkimura7
[ *  * ]
hey my antenna it bent and rubs on the car when its all the way out. If I put it in so it doesn't vibrate around (so i can't hear it from inside the car), my reception sucks. I am looking at replacing it. Do I have to replace the wiring and all, or can I get the new antenna and attach the new antenna to the existing wiring? I'd really not want to have to tear it all apart to replace it if I don't have to :) :rocker
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Are you any good at installing BNC connectors? Then, yes, maybe, but it's still going to be a tight working area.

Front post surgery along with the "Geo Pilates" position known as "inverted under the dash" will be required to replace the antenna. As long as you're replacing it, and I'm sure it's been done before, maybe you can find a better antenna. Maybe like one of those solid mast antenna's that's common to cars of a more expensive genre. I gave up on my antenna staying fully erect years ago. It stays in the retracted position. I get stations when I'm close. Other times, I just listen to my 8 track tape collection CD's.
Quote Post Goto Top

flyingkimura7
[ *  * ]
i have never installed or removed a bnc connector

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Personally, I simply bought a new antenna and replaced the old one with the new. :whistle

Now, I'd post a "wanted" ad on the forum. :news

You can new ones on eBay at motors.shop.ebay.com/95+geo+metro+antenna
Of the three I see I'd pay for the new one unless you want some universal one mounted on your car with some modification or inherit another persons possible problems. :-/

I unscrewed the two screws and gave the antenna a tug while looking for the wire under the dash and where it connects to the radio. I could get my hand into the body/frame/dash gap to pull the wire through the tower while feeding new cable down the frame. Then snake it through the dash and plug it into the radio. Screw the new antenna to the roof and make sure there is a rubber seal between it and the roof. If the seal is cracking, RTV could be your new best friend.

If you think you might have trouble feeding the new antenna cable into the roof and down the frame to the dash then try this; As you pull the original antenna out of the roof, the cable will be pulled from the radio. Unplug it and securely tie a strong and long piece of string (thin flexible wire?) to the radio end of the old antenna cable. Make sure the string/wire is long enough to be pulled out the roof and still have maybe 3 feet of it on the drivers floorboard. Now once the old cable is out untie the string and tie it to the radio end of the new antenna cable and gently/slowly pull the new cable back through the frame until it comes out under the dash.

wizard93
Member Avatar

That's pretty cheap for a 1995 Metro antenna. Are they different than the ones for the 1994 Metro? I need a new antenna for the 1994 metro but the antenna for that one is almost $30 with shipping. Not fair. Perhaps someone is parting out an older Metro that still has a good antenna waiting for a new home.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar

wizard93
May 5 2011, 10:54 PM
Are they different than the ones for the 1994 Metro? I need a new antenna for the 1994 metro but the antenna for that one is almost $30 with shipping. Not fair. Perhaps someone is parting out an older Metro that still has a good antenna waiting for a new home.
Click on; ebay.com/94+geo+metro+antenna and see the black plastic mount with two holes in it. Does that look like it will fit on your car? If so I'd snag it. :-/

Or am I misreading your post that $28.95 is too much for a new antenna? Sorry.

Another link for 94 geo metro antenna;
$21 plus shipping; http://antennamastsrus.com/GEO/Metro/Geo%20Metro%201989-1994.htm

wizard93
Member Avatar

That's the one I need, BB, but the antenna is gonna have to wait until I can afford the other things required to get my car legal so I can start driving it. I'm having to save for expensive stuff like a new windshield and exhaust system. Probably other things as well, as I found floorboard rot almost all the way around. I'll be starting a project thread soon to show my progress. It's either spend $30 for an antenna of spend $30 for the intermediate exhaust pipe. If I have to go without a radio for a while, then so be it. I'll just listen to the sweet tune of the G10 humming along. :D

redpepe

hi flyingkamura,

mine was broken off from the day i bought the car and i found that a piece of aluminum welding rod just fit inside the stub of the original antenna. i crimped it in a few places and it worked extremely well for years. it broke once from fatigue at the joint and i simply replaced it again. it's not retractable but not a problem for me.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar

wizard93
May 6 2011, 01:29 AM
I'll just listen to the sweet tune of the G10 humming along. :D
Agreed! :thumb

But if you get the radio fixed you won't need a new exhaust system. :lol

Oh, yes, legal is important. :-/

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

Geo Glenn
May 5 2011, 01:27 AM
I gave up on my antenna staying fully erect years ago. It stays in the retracted position.
Really? I gotta be the guy who points it out?

Y'all slippin' :shake

wizard93
Member Avatar

redpepe
May 6 2011, 03:33 AM
hi flyingkamura,

mine was broken off from the day i bought the car and i found that a piece of aluminum welding rod just fit inside the stub of the original antenna. i crimped it in a few places and it worked extremely well for years. it broke once from fatigue at the joint and i simply replaced it again. it's not retractable but not a problem for me.
You gave me ideas, man. I think I may have some stainless steel mast from an old CB antenna I might get to work where the antenna broke off. I may have to start getting creative on this car. lol

GeoRating
Member Avatar

MY antenna just sucked so bad because I live in a very hilly area, and most of my radio stations come from 100+ miles away, that I went down to Napa and bought an amplified antenna (Standard rubber covered mast type, non retractable) for $14 and installed it on my right front fender... The antenna wire easily reaches the radio and I installed a switch (Because... that's what I like to do for no reason lol) for the amplifier. There is such a massive difference when the amplifier is on that I'm getting radio stations that I never knew existed around here even better than my GF's truck and my MASSIVE 30' outdoor antenna that is hooked up to my indoor surround sound system. Makes me want to get amplified everything from now on :)

Either way, moral of the story = if you don't mind just retracting that old antenna and putting in a new one, you could have a large improvement for less than a replacement OEM would be.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/

zcrayfish
Member Avatar
Chatroom Addict...
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
GeoRating
May 7 2011, 03:10 AM
MY antenna just sucked so bad because I live in a very hilly area, and most of my radio stations come from 100+ miles away, that I went down to Napa and bought an amplified antenna (Standard rubber covered mast type, non retractable) for $14 and installed it on my right front fender... The antenna wire easily reaches the radio and I installed a switch (Because... that's what I like to do for no reason lol) for the amplifier. There is such a massive difference when the amplifier is on that I'm getting radio stations that I never knew existed around here even better than my GF's truck and my MASSIVE 30' outdoor antenna that is hooked up to my indoor surround sound system. Makes me want to get amplified everything from now on :)

Either way, moral of the story = if you don't mind just retracting that old antenna and putting in a new one, you could have a large improvement for less than a replacement OEM would be.
Holy cow man, I live in the mountains, and something like that would really come in handy for FM reception and daytime AM... What's the NAPA item # for the one you got?

criswat
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
I think you should also replace the old wiring. Because a bad reception problem could be because of a damaged wire. You should also select a good aerial model according to your needs..

aerial installation | freeview aerials
Edited by criswat, Aug 13 2012, 02:07 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Audio Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply