Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My 89 Geo Wagon!
Topic Started: May 24 2011, 09:30 PM (1,489 Views)
swobodaca
[ *  *  * ]
Well here it is! 89 Metro LSI 5 speed manual. On the Mile's... not exactly sure it only goes up to 5 digit so i don't know how many times its reset.. Anyways some problem's i have come across...

-In the video you can see the key is half key... the other half or 1/4 is broken in the ignition..
-Drive's smooth but when come to rolling stop like down shift from 5-4th or 4th to 3rd gradually sometimes gets rough idle or even in neutral and just dies..
-front seal leaks needs replaced
-there is a ground issue with the head light's. Tried to fix over weekend when i went to pic it up from parents but couldn't trace the original ground so when i grounded it both lights left on after turning off whoever wired it -before did a really awful job so that will be a fun re wire project..
-the passenger back door does not open from outside
-driver door does not have a lock and missing key lock in the door..
-the dash board no stock? no rpm gauge
-hood needs replaced as well as passenger fender
-the defrost rear window does not work could be part of wiring problem
-trunk does not open have to push little lever inside car with flat head to open
-driver mirror broken had to re caulk the rubber and use some longer screws to hold it in place or window wouldn't roll up
-cracked window... horizontal across lower half and bigger vertical cracks on passenger side
-Check engine light on i did read a post on how to check and see why its flashing but haven't gotten to it yet
... and i think that's it interior really dirty but that's minor i can clean it

thing's i've done.

oil change
transmission fluid change was nasty black and only had about 1 to 1-1/2 qrts put the 3 it takes
seat cover's
temp fix on hood riveted the bend under area to hood and bend to more flatter sections so it at least latch's rather then tire wire previous owner...
replaced the battery lugs? not sure what you would call it
cleaned out the vents a bit if you didn't notice the grassy stuff all over from it still blowing out lol. as well as changed radiator fluid

but she made it 300+ miles without dieing into wind and up some steep climbs so i'm pretty happy anything is better then my truck with 12-15mpg on good day

videoPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Edited by swobodaca, May 24 2011, 09:41 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

Very nice. I likey, likey.

Snohomish, hmmmmmm. another methead from the great north west.

Glad your here.

swobodaca
[ *  *  * ]
dayle1960
May 24 2011, 09:44 PM
Very nice. I likey, likey.

Snohomish, hmmmmmm. another methead from the great north west.

Glad your here.
Lol thanks for welcome all though the lovely meth heads are just due north in granite falls :p but going from my dodge Dakota or 2500 cummins to this i sure get different look from people and more stranger's/homeless asking for smokes and so on lol

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

No, no, no..... Not methheads.....met-heads as in metro-heads.

swobodaca
[ *  *  * ]
dayle1960
May 24 2011, 09:50 PM
No, no, no..... Not methheads.....met-heads as in metro-heads.
*doh* well in that case of course i'm a MET-HEAD! my uncle and brother in law made fun of me hard core for getting this " throw away car" but i love it and can't wait until i get it fully fixed and will love it even more.
Edited by swobodaca, May 24 2011, 09:53 PM.

swobodaca
[ *  *  * ]
I've been doing a lot of online searching as far as hoods and fender's go. What fixing up do you guys think i should do first? Front seal and hood? And would love to be able to get the driver door locked put in so its at least locked... kinda sketchy not having a vehicle that's never secured

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

Swobodaca,

Nice! Not too bad for a 22 year old car. Make a list. Things like light switches and wiper switches that still have buttons are hard to find. Snag when found. Self-serve junkyards are your best source for parts. Do not leave any parts you want for your '89 on a car in the yard. The next guy wants them, too.

I've had my '90 for 9 years. I still have not brought it back to "new" condition. There have been times when it died. It always came back to life. Prioritize keeping it running and safe, and the cosmetics as you can find the parts or time to do.

See my project The Mighty Metro.

Glenn

swobodaca
[ *  *  * ]
Geo Glenn
May 26 2011, 12:02 AM
Swobodaca,

Nice! Not too bad for a 22 year old car. Make a list. Things like light switches and wiper switches that still have buttons are hard to find. Snag when found. Self-serve junkyards are your best source for parts. Do not leave any parts you want for your '89 on a car in the yard. The next guy wants them, too.

I've had my '90 for 9 years. I still have not brought it back to "new" condition. There have been times when it died. It always came back to life. Prioritize keeping it running and safe, and the cosmetics as you can find the parts or time to do.

See my project The Mighty Metro.

Glenn
Geo Glen,

Head light and hazard button's missing are minor to me they still work just missing. I will be checking out local junk yards this weekend just to see what i can find :DD i'm excited like kid in candy shop. I'm going to pound out the passenger fender or try to see if that helps at all and i found a full covered running light that will fit where the broken one is on passenger side.

My main concern's atm would be security... somehow get the driver door to lock as well as passenger. And fix my oil leak... i think its the front seal?? This will be a car i'm going to learn a lot about the engine because i know nothing really except what a few basics are... battery, cables, how to change plugs and dist cap so on, radiator, changing fluids, air filter, changing oil, oil filter, alternator, and ya few small things. What i want to learn is how it all works together with stuff i'm not familiar with, heads, cams, pulley's, all the cool stuff lol

thanks man, and everyone else for the greeting welcomes and all the great info i've found!

JoeBob
Member Avatar
Why you Mutt!

Nice...I especially like the Japanese-issue fabric door panels and aero-style headlights, unlike my '91, which has the rectangle lamps and plastic door panels.

I've replaced most of the same parts on my car that you mentioned need replaced on yours. Fender and hood are easily replaced, front seal isn't too hard either, and it's a LOT cheaper than pouring oil through the engine, not to mention those embarrassing oil stains on the driveway.

A little hint on the hood...look for a replacement with a couple bolts by the latch, and watch out for stress cracks around the hood latch. The bolts were from a recall on these cars in the early '90s, they were added to reinforce the hood.

swobodaca
[ *  *  * ]
JoeBob
May 26 2011, 12:32 AM
Nice...I especially like the Japanese-issue fabric door panels and aero-style headlights, unlike my '91, which has the rectangle lamps and plastic door panels.

I've replaced most of the same parts on my car that you mentioned need replaced on yours. Fender and hood are easily replaced, front seal isn't too hard either, and it's a LOT cheaper than pouring oil through the engine, not to mention those embarrassing oil stains on the driveway.

A little hint on the hood...look for a replacement with a couple bolts by the latch, and watch out for stress cracks around the hood latch. The bolts were from a recall on these cars in the early '90s, they were added to reinforce the hood.
Awesome info thanks man. Do i have to go with a 89-94 geo hood or do the 96 fit? I will take some close up pictures tomorrow to show what dmg is inside the hood its only a matter of time before it comes up : /

Tool's ill be grabbing if i can afford next pay check.
Torch wrench
front seal
gauged wire cutters
fuse's

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

The self-serve junkyard is also the self-serve training center. Take your tools with you. Want to know how to change a seal? Do surgery on a junkyard head. How to change a timing belt? Practice at the yard. Seriously. I still experiment with junked cars if I'm not sure of the procedure or results. It saves screwing up my car. There's all kinds of stuff you can do!

The door locks are all the same from '89 - '94. There is a retainer clip inside the handle. The cylinder will come out through the outside of the handle.

The key code is located on the passenger door lock cylinder. Sometimes, you will find a Geo with an OEM key. Snag the whole set. I'm not quite sure how to get the ignition switch cylinder out. Never tried. You'll figure it out. You don't need the whole ignition switch, just the part with the cylinder. Also, a locksmith can re-tumbler a cylinder to match the rest of the car. Take him the passenger door lock cylinder, and the junkyard cylinder. Ask him to cut a key from the code, and then make the cylinders match. Make copies from your code-cut key. Store your code-cut key in a safe place. When it's time to replace your keys, make a copy from the original.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

Get this! :deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Chevrolet-Chevy-Geo-Metro-Service-Shop-Manual-OEM-/160592564189?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2564100fdd

This one is nicer, and more expensive!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-GEO-METRO-SHOP-SERVICE-MANUAL-/200604885571?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2eb4fba243
Edited by Geo Glenn, May 26 2011, 01:08 AM.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

Cosmetic stuff can wait. First job would make it road ready. Fix the engine related stuff first. If you have an oil leak on a seal then pop the crank pulley, take the plastic timing belt cover off, and replace both cam and crank seals. That is a cheap fix. Probably $10. The rear seal is probably leaking also, but that involves dropping the tranny. A bit of a hassle the first time you drop it, but that is the only way of fixing the rear seal.

There are two different body styles for the metros. Usually we refer to them as pre '95 or '95+. The pre 95 is a boxy style while the 95+ has a more rounded look. As far as your hood goes you need to find a pre 95 4dr style hood. A 2dr will not fit. Sorry, just the way it is. I agree with Glen. When you go to the j-yard pull everything off the car you need. These cars are getting rare, so if you leave something on the car you need, thinking I'll get it next time, by the time you return the car will have been sent off to the crushers. I had a j-yard that had almost 10 metros in it. Went back a couple of years later and they were gone. Mirrors and window regulators are extremely hard to find, so if you need one, grab them now.

Remember, cosmetics can wait, but keeping it running is where you will save your most money over the long term.

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

Just to give you a headsup on your light problem. I'm not sure about the 89-91 style but on the 92-94 Metro the three polls on the headlghts all have 12 volts running to them . If you think someone screwed up the wiring I would check to see if you have power to all three. if you do your problem could be in the switch or a bad fuse. There are seperate fuses for each side and on mine a bad fuse let one light glow real dim.

Ken.......

swobodaca
[ *  *  * ]
91 ragtop
May 26 2011, 09:31 PM
Just to give you a headsup on your light problem. I'm not sure about the 89-91 style but on the 92-94 Metro the three polls on the headlghts all have 12 volts running to them . If you think someone screwed up the wiring I would check to see if you have power to all three. if you do your problem could be in the switch or a bad fuse. There are seperate fuses for each side and on mine a bad fuse let one light glow real dim.

Ken.......
Hmm ill look into that because the driver side light does run just a wee bit dimmer and when we tested the wires before i left to take it home 350+ miles... only 2 of the 3 wires had power. Ill check the fuse box this weekend. I have lots to get done in 3 days.

Work i would like to get done this weekend:

Change the front seal... but doing research before i do i have no idea what needs to be done lol.
get my headlight problem figured out
see if i can trace down why it dies if going from any gear to neutral to a stop sign or light its dies 50% of the time or even if coasting down a hill and shift from 5th to neutral it will die while idle in neutral. Or it will shake really rough then smooth out as if i was in my sand rail mobbing for a sec lol.

anyone in north seattle area over the weekend to help and teach changing front seal??

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pictures/Videos · Next Topic »
Add Reply