Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
No 5th gear just RPM's; 5th gear is missing all others work great
Topic Started: May 25 2011, 08:20 AM (12,484 Views)
papawoodi
[ *  * ]
I have a 2000 hatchback metro that the 5th gear does not work anymore. All other gears work perfect just when driving down the road and put in 5th gear it just revs the motor up. No grinding, no slipping. Just bought the car and the previous owner had the clutch replaced about a year ago. He said that it gradually stated to go out.
I looked around on the forum and noticed a lot of 5th gear slipping out and grinding but no 5th gear not work all together. Guess I can’t complain to much the car runs great and I paid $800 for it.

Is there away to replace the 5th gear without rebuilding the whole transmission? I did read something about a Phillips screw loose but don’t understand where this could be located, plus making sure the gear is not loose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Way

5th gear is under the black cover on the transmission. You'll have to drain the fluid out first of course. This is what you should see when you take off the black cover. The arrows are pointing to the screws you're talking about:

Posted Image

If you can post up a pic of what you find. There is a circlip holding the synchro on (that thing on the left).
Edited by Way, May 25 2011, 09:56 AM.

papawoodi
[ *  * ]
I finally opened the cover and the screws seem to be tight also the 5th gear looks to not have any broken spots. The person I bought the car from said they replaced the clutch about a year ago and the problems started to show up little after that. Is there something else to check since I have the cover off? Not sure if thing should be loose or real tight. I can't move the 5th gear much at all but the other move around a little. The fluid did not smell burnt and but the magnet did have some build up on it.
Is there anything to adjust to get 5th gear to in gauge?

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

Put it in fifth gear and then look at it under the car, that may indicate where the problem is coming from in case it's binding up somewhere.

papawoodi
[ *  * ]
It goes into 5th gear with no problems and the plate over the larger gear moves back an forth with no problems as well (not sure what that gear is called). Is it ok to take this peice off to see if there is a problem behind that part?
Not really sure how far the part should move in but it seems like it bottoms out when in gear.

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

I'd wait until someone more knowledgeable than me in this area chimes in before you go tearing it apart.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Sorry I did not get here a little sooner. I would suggest doing a test shift with the linkage disconnected before draining the fluid out and pulling the black cover. But since it is done. With the car in the air. And on jack stands, have someone move the shifter in the car to the 5th position. You should see the aluminum fork move towards the gear and engage the brass. Those small little teeth on the gear should be coverd by the slider. If it does not move. It maybe as simple as a broken roll pin, or damaged fork. It may also be a linkage problem. If it does move. The we need to figure out why its moving but not transfering power to the driven gear. Pics would help a great deal. We need good clear shots. I will be in again tomorrow PM, late
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Way

Don't take anything else apart. Put it in 5th. Get under the car and see if you can rotate the driver's side tire while watching the gears. If you can get a picture of your trans before you shift into 5th and after, that would be very helpful.

papawoodi
[ *  * ]
ok I took some pictures and tried the suggestions that were made.
Mr Murf 59 - the aluminum forks seem to be moving towards the gear. Not sure how far it needs to move in. One of the pictures you can see my fingers and that is were I pushed the gear in more. To me it all seems loose but I dont really know what I am looking at here or how it is suppose to feel like.

Way - I put it in 5th gear and I can rotate the wheel but the gears dont rotate with the wheel. They just jerk a little and then stay still.

The original owner stated that it - At first, it would work normally, but every now and then it would kick out of gear for no apparent reason. After that, it would kick out of gear on acceleration. Then it got to where it wouldn't stay in 5th gear at all unless you physically held the shifter in 5th. Then it progressed to whereas 5th wouldn't work at all, and would grind if you tried to use 5th.

I looked at the motor mounts they seem to look good, not ripped or broken.
I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by papawoodi, Jun 5 2011, 11:56 AM.

Marty3d
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not the expert that some others are here, but a couple observations:

Your shift fork looks a little bit worn - on the surface that pushes the shift collar toward the gear. Wear here keeps the collar from engaging fully on the splines of the gear.

The splines that are visible on the gear look a little worn as well. The teeth surfaces should be parallel. If they wear at an angle, the collar tends to slide down that angle like a ramp. That puts pressure on the shift fork and causes wear. Eventually, the fork no longer makes full engagement and it will pop out of gear as soon as you let off of the clutch.

New parts may be called for if that is the case. I am sure that others will chime in on this.

good luck!
Edited by Marty3d, Jun 5 2011, 04:07 PM.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

What color was the fluid when you drained it? Honey or Black?

papawoodi
[ *  * ]
I add some more pictures of the shift fork not sure if that will help.
The color of the fluid was blackish honey. Not all black. Did not smell bad either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

that one small center gear on the large left gear. it looks "funny" whats up with that? is there something coating it or is it just a hinky picture?

papawoodi
[ *  * ]
Yea, my wife said it look like a ghost, but that is just the hot sun glairing down on dry Texas.

MR Bill
Member Avatar

You have alot of wear in the 5th gear assemble. I would replace the shift fork, the slider and 5th gear. With the amount of
wear I see on these parts , it would explane why 5th gear is not working. If you are going to keep the car for several years
I would get new parts.

Bill

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply