Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Clutch Cable Problems; Clutch pedeal travel too far
Topic Started: Jun 8 2011, 02:07 PM (1,052 Views)
macartguygeo
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
My 91 Geo Metro LSI (5 speed) made a slight "pop" sound on the clutch pedal while shifting... too much play to shift. To get it home, I adjusted the cable on the tranny drove fine until the next day another pop and not shifting again.
Im a big guy, and its hard to see up there to what slipped/broke.

I realize you guys have answered this a hundred times probably, but it's my first occurance.
Any suggestions are much appreciated on how best to to fix this problem? What to look for first?
Edited by macartguygeo, Jun 8 2011, 03:21 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Woodie
Member Avatar

Problem is more likely under the hood than under the dash, good news for those of us who are less flexible, huh? Clutch throwout arm is a piece of stamped and folded sheet metal on the older cars. This has a tendency to crack where it bolts onto the splined throwout shaft. That's most likely where your problem is. Look just below your distributor where the clutch cable meets an arm about six inches long. It's the other end of that arm, there are marks that must be lined up between the arm and the shaft, just like timing marks.

CityConnection
Member Avatar
Sir, yes sir!

The good news is, if it is the clutch arm you can replace it with one from a later model. I know the 2000 has a cast arm, but I don't know when they switched over. They swap right over, no modification (at least in my case).

metromad

You might also make sure that arm is not slipping on the splined shaft. I had a Sprint years ago that the clamp bolt on that arm loosend enough over time to allow the arm to move. It will eat up the shaft splines if it goes long enough in that condition. If it has slipped, you might get away with just removing the arm and clocking it back to the proper position and re-tightening the clamp bolt.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

If it is not the arm. Then it will more than likely be the disk is going bad. Our units are known for failing the springs in the friction disk. Its pretty common

metromad

Thats the truth! I had one of those springs fail and lock the clutch assy to the flywheel! You could only start the car in neutral but could not shift into any gear. If you tried starting it with the clutch in and tranny in gear, car would start moving. That one freaked me just a bit.

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

If the clutch arm hasn't slipped my guess is the popping noise is the cable stretching and individual strands breaking. Check undernath the covering on the adjustment end.

Ken....

95-3banger
Member Avatar

My 95 has the cast arm too, so they went back at least that far. ;)

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

91 ragtop
Jun 10 2011, 11:27 PM
If the clutch arm hasn't slipped my guess is the popping noise is the cable stretching and individual strands breaking. Check undernath the covering on the adjustment end.

Ken....
:gp
This is my guess too.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

We will see if we are right on this. I've had it happen twice to my cars.

Ken....

GeoOnIt209
The Hot One Metrogatti
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I replaced a clutch cable 2 times in 3 months are they really that weak or what or does the firewall rub on it all the time!? Is thier a way too prevent this

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

There's no way that the firewall can rub on the cable. Some people say that if the cable keeps on breaking it's because the engine ground cable isn't working and the cable is doing the grounding.

Ken............

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply