Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to check for clogged catalytic converter?
Topic Started: Jul 13 2011, 11:04 AM (6,406 Views)
vikasintl
Member Avatar

How do we check for clogged cat converter?
And if a converter is clogged ...can it affect fuel economy?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ace.of_alltrades
Member Avatar

It will effect economy and power, if it is clogged usually you can tell after you run it for a while and it will be cherry red under there

ponzy

if its clogged then you would have an enormous power loss and you will have a hard time accelarating plus a worst mileage. mine was 15-18 mpg.......

if its clogged, try what bryan/georating(not sure if it was you georating?) have tried, loosened up the downpipe/manifold, pour some seafoam then install it back again..... or you could gut it (now a stragiht pipe) and be done with it till the smog test is up......

or you could just replaced it with walker exhaust system or have it customized...... lots of options, esp if you are really handy with welding stuff.
Edited by ponzy, Jul 13 2011, 06:33 PM.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

the easiest way to tell if the catalytic converter is plugged is that your car will feel like all the squirrels died. ^o)

seriously, as they plug up, less and less exhaust can get through and the engine will stall if you don't keep the revs abnormally high. the engine will be way down on power when it gets really stopped up.

i was returning home from a road trip with the family in lizzie's old automatic gti and the engine would all but stop while the car was pushing 65. every time it did it, i'd start running emergency plan "b" through my head and the engine would pop back in. we white knuckled it home. when i looked at the car the next day i found that the internal brackets on the catalytic converter had rusted away and the entire block of media would turn sideways and pressure would wedge it into the cat's exit pipe. when that happened, no more gas could get through and the engine would almost stall. the car would hit a bump every now and then and bounce the media loose and the car would pick up running again.

an obdII car will give you code.

wizard93
Member Avatar

Or you could pull the O2 sensor and see if it breathes better. Maybe someone can add to this one.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

wizard93
Jul 13 2011, 09:17 PM
Or you could pull the O2 sensor and see if it breathes better. Maybe someone can add to this one.
That is the test for a bad Catalytic Converter.

Or loosen the two bolts holding it on at the exhaust manifold (w/springs) and take a little LOUD test drive. :-/
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Intake and Exhaust Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply