Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Resonator leaking, is it illegal to remove it?
Topic Started: Jul 28 2011, 01:01 AM (2,834 Views)
vikasintl
Member Avatar

On our 1994 geo metro 3 cylinder...resonator is leaking and...a local mechanic suggested ...to remove it instead replacing it..

But I want to know if State of WA is it illegal to remove it?

apart from legality what are the disadvantages ? any potential damage to car?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

It'll be a little raspier. It shouldn't be too loud, and the emissions will be the same.

vikasintl
Member Avatar

Coche Blanco
Jul 28 2011, 01:05 AM
It'll be a little raspier. It shouldn't be too loud, and the emissions will be the same.
So it is not against the law?
I guess it is only concerned with noise correct?
and it will not be too loud correct?

you are still up? where are you located?

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Here is the FAQ from http://emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx

I did not see anything on modifying the car for noise which is usually a police matter. The resonator is basically a short glasspack type muffler that could be replaced by a muffler shop for less than $100 and I'm thinking more like $60.

From what I see your $15 test in Washington is a gas cap check plus "1995 and older gasoline vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) with two-wheel or part-time four wheel drive

These vehicles get an Acceleration Simulation Mode (ASM) test. These vehicles are tested on a dynamometer. All front wheel drive vehicles will be operated by test station personnel. You may operate a rear wheel vehicle on the dynamometer. "

tribrid
Member Avatar
Metromerized

Funny you should ask this. I just had a crack around the exhaust fixed and the shop guy said he replaced the resonator with a stock piece of pipe. It sounds just a little bit louder without it :thumb but the good thing is it picked up I'm guessing 3-4 mpg on the highway so now my 92 3/5 is doing about what it should. I don't know about the legality but noise wise it doesn't make much difference as long as the rest of your exhaust and muffler are good.

Rooy

tribrid
Jul 28 2011, 11:00 PM
but the good thing is it picked up I'm guessing 3-4 mpg
Removing the resonator is not going to affect mpg to any noticeable amount.

Avaryan
[ *  * ]
If the resonator was in really poor shape to the point that it was actually effecting your MPG, then you would notice a difference.

A few years back I removed mine and replaced it with straight pipe. I noticed a difference, but only because my resonator was completely rusted through. Resonator is pretty much useless anyway; especially on a car that already has 2 catalytic convertors (Cal emissions)and the muffler to filter through.

Scoobs
Member Avatar
Decal Vendor

I remove my Catylitic converters on every vehicle i owned here in arkansas, hence no emissions and no inspection. But by doing so, i notice more mpg gain, and power gain when i do that. Plus they are so damn expensive to replace, and if you dont need it, why waste the money :P A+ for Arkansas, Boo for the rest of yall with emissions and inspection :D

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

not quite true. removing a properly FUNCTIONING resonator is not going to affect fuel economy by any measurable amount.

if its NOT functioning properly ie "clogged" then yes removing could "return" previously lost fuel economy :-)

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Resonator can be removed legally.

Norby
Member Avatar

If you plan to sell the car you might leave the resonator in place. Most people don't like the sound of a raspy exhaust note. They think the car has been "riced" out.

tommyd
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I get ricers trying to toy with the geo on a seemingly daily basis. These people don't understand the geo at all. I've got no cat no resonator and a naps muffler 2" from the manifold back. Yes it is slightly loud and very buzzy but then again im 5mpg over epa on my last couple tanks on a stock automatic 4dr. I can't complain much.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a break even analysis in regards to cats emissions and efficiency. Certainly im dumping more into the air for every gallon burned but if I use less all together im putting out less emissions in total. There has to be a break even point in there somewhere.

Tofuball
Member Avatar
Strange Mechanic

My resonator (and I imagine everyone's by now) had the packing blown out, making it almost totally worthless. I kept it anyway and put a huge resonator in the system right behind it. Sounds much nicer.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Intake and Exhaust Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply