Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Jeff's Geo in Seattle, ever hear of him?
Topic Started: Jul 30 2011, 03:52 AM (6,427 Views)
dover
Member Avatar

http://www.sevtecexplorer.com/geo-commuter-drive-train-restoration.html

this guy has some ads up on the local Craigslist, and I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with him. I was thinking about having a shop do a couple things to my new metro, and if I can trade a guy my old metro, I wouldn't be unhappy.

or maybe, just maybe, he's one of you...

:Dover
Offline Profile Goto Top

yiffzer
Forgot His Manpurse

Read his site. Wow. I dunno if he's "one of us" but he's really passionate about it (and knows his stuff too).
Offline Profile Goto Top

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Interesting read, I'll grant you that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Scoobs
Member Avatar
Decal Vendor

What kind of work are you needing done? Id love to have your old metro :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

G-ride
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Havent dealt with him , sorry. Theres another guy in arlington that rebuilds metros posting on c.l.
Offline Profile Goto Top

dover
Member Avatar

Arkansas is a little ways away from Seattle, eh, Steve? But I'm mostly in the market for getting my timing belt checked and a new crankcase cover, but I'd like a lot of little things done too.

He seems passionate, but a little gruff and I doubt I would enjoy dealing with him. I've seen the other guy, but this one looks new
Offline Profile Goto Top

Scoobs
Member Avatar
Decal Vendor

:/
Offline Profile Goto Top

trader4play
Tim
[ *  * ]
Back when I was first looking for a Metro, jeff had a white suzuki swift for sale and I called him up. he seemed like an Ok guy. He sold the car before I could get over to buy it. The guy who bougt the car had it on Craigslist a week later trying to sale it and when I called him he had nothing but bad things to say about Jeff, how jeff had misled him and ripped him off. He was so mad at jeff that he was Flaging is ads.
Offline Profile Goto Top

98chevymetro
Member Avatar

Bump bump. I'm about to buy a rebuilt trans from geojeff for $850 minus my two cores which brings it to $650. Before I drop the cash and drive over 2 hours north, does anyone know him or know if he does a legit job? Should I try rebuilding mine instead? Its a good trans except 2nd gear synchro is shot. I have a 20 ton press.
Offline Profile Goto Top

98chevymetro
Member Avatar

I've had the trans out twice now and both times caused a coolant leak from the pipe behind the water pump. If I do this job again and the synchro is still bad I'm gonna lose my mind.
Offline Profile Goto Top

98chevymetro
Member Avatar

Oh btw he's located in marysville, not seattle.
Offline Profile Goto Top

patrickbruce
Member Avatar
average teenage gearhead

if you have that kind of press, you should be able to do it yourself. Look on ebay for 5 speed rebuild kits for your specific trans, and look in the how-to section for the rebuild guide
Offline Profile Goto Top

Vkhelldog
Member Avatar

He bought my old car from me rebuilt it and sold it no idea how that turned out for them... But I'm more and more not trusting anyone... Unless everyone on here likes them first. ;-P
Edited by Vkhelldog, Dec 2 2012, 08:26 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

98chevymetro
Member Avatar

Doesn't seem like hardly anyone on here has dealt with him and out of the two people who have neither bought a trans from him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

98chevymetro
Member Avatar

I emailed geo jeff to ask if he had 4 cyl trans available and to ask if he took credit cards and this was his response:

I don't build 3.79's unless you absolutely have to run 12" tires with a 3 cylinder or have a 4 cylinder the gear ratio is to tall and you loose the use of 5th gear cruising especially with passengers. If you have a 3 cylinder and run a 3.79 the motor needs to be fresh you need that extra power to make that ratio work well. Some people that have bought 3.79's in the past found that a set of 12 tires for hauling people and 13 tires for cruising empty but i think its two much work and still stops you from getting up very steep hills with a 3 cylinder. For example i assume your local. If you were in down town Seattle on 1st or 2nd street on those steep hills headed for the I-5 with a passenger or two you might now have enough power to get started again if you hit a red light on one of those steep hills. Its already hard enough to climb the back roads camping with gear, just this winter i was in Chelan with 4 guys and our back packs and to get to the top of a very steep hill they had to get out and that was a 4.10 transmission with 13 tires. if i had 12's on we might have made it. taller or shorter tires are a by far better way to play with gear ratio since you can change them for so much less and with only a 3 cylinder engine you probably will have to if you use it for anything but commuting. I take cash

Thanks Geo Jeff

What do you guys think? I seem to see plenty of people on this board using these transmissions on their 3cylinder metros so it can't be that bad. I almost never have passengers and only had a full car maybe once before in 5 years. I also don't drive hilly terrain much except coming home because I live up a big hill. Plus I plan to get rebuild my engine one of these days with a 3 tech rebuilt head and 3tech cam so that should help.

Should I rebuild my current trans instead?
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Buyer/Seller Feedback & Product Reviews · Next Topic »
Locked Topic