Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A/C System Swap Over
Topic Started: Aug 14 2011, 08:04 PM (759 Views)
Fastvan67
Fat Boy
[ *  *  * ]
Hey Guys.. I have 2 - 1994 Metros. One is LSi and the other is XFi. The only physical difference between the cars is one has automatic and the other is standard.

My LSi has a GREAT working A/C system. My XFi has no air at all. (factory)

Can anyone tell me what it would take to move the complete A/C system out of the LSi and into the XFi? Everything under the hood looks pretty easy and straight forward. My main concern is the dash.
Would I have to remove the dash in order to access the A/C components for removal or is is a simple extraction? (yes, I plan to use a new evap core)
The A/C power switch on the dash should come easily, right? Are the wires already there in the dash of the XFi? What complications should I look for?
Last question, anyone know where I can get an A/C clutch? I get a lil noise from it when its both on and off. I figure its a bearing?

Reason for the swap is because my wife LOVES my XFi and LOVES A/C. So.. Gotta make her happy..
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver
Member Avatar

I have removed the evaporator box from my 92' without pulling the dash - but I do have dealer installed aftermarket AC, not OEM. Still I believe you can get yours out and back in too without pulling the dash. Once you remove the blower assembly it should become apparent.

Note that you'll need to get the system evacuated before taking it apart.

Can't tell you anything about the wiring or the bearing.

TheKid
Member Avatar

I installed evaporator and switch only so far(not too in a hurry for a/c). Consider evap and blower assembly as one when removing/installing. Much easier.
No need to trouble dashboard.
Edited by TheKid, Aug 14 2011, 08:57 PM.

Fastvan67
Fat Boy
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Guys.. Hope to get this done by next weekend.. These 100F days are a killer..

me and my metro

There are two wiring harnesses that needs to be transferred to the Xfi. One is underhood and runs from the fuse box across the firewall and another inside that runs along the base of the windshield, I have done this swap on a factory a/c setup. The dash needs to come out on both cars. :(

Fastvan67
Fat Boy
[ *  *  * ]
ahhh! guess i gotta try it anyway.. thanks

MR Bill
Member Avatar

The dash will not have to come out. Just take your time and move parts from doner to the other car. this project
is not that hard to do. when you get it in read ENGINEDOC's thread he posted this week about A/C. A/C hot? Want it cool? No major problems

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

MR Bill
Aug 15 2011, 08:56 AM
when you get it in read ENGINEDOC's thread he posted this week about A/C. A/C hot? Want it cool? No major problems
That was actually a good thread by metroschultz, I just added a comment or two. ;)

Fastvan67
Fat Boy
[ *  *  * ]
How about this.. Typically, the RPM's bump up slightly when the A/C is turned on to keep from stalling at idle. Will the XFi do this automatically is is there something I should do? Maybe something with the computer or the throttle body?

MR Bill
Member Avatar

You will remove the idle up valve from the donor car, It is on the firewall about midway between the fenders.

It took me about two hours to install, then had to charge up after pulling vaccum on systerm.
Edited by MR Bill, Aug 17 2011, 12:04 PM.

Fastvan67
Fat Boy
[ *  *  * ]
Great! This is Gonna be Fun! :)

owlafaye
Member Avatar
Dr. Cool
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fastvan67
Aug 14 2011, 08:04 PM
Hey Guys.. I have 2 - 1994 Metros. One is LSi and the other is XFi. The only physical difference between the cars is one has automatic and the other is standard.

My LSi has a GREAT working A/C system. My XFi has no air at all. (factory)

Can anyone tell me what it would take to move the complete A/C system out of the LSi and into the XFi? Everything under the hood looks pretty easy and straight forward. My main concern is the dash.
Would I have to remove the dash in order to access the A/C components for removal or is is a simple extraction? (yes, I plan to use a new evap core)
The A/C power switch on the dash should come easily, right? Are the wires already there in the dash of the XFi? What complications should I look for?
Last question, anyone know where I can get an A/C clutch? I get a lil noise from it when its both on and off. I figure its a bearing?

Reason for the swap is because my wife LOVES my XFi and LOVES A/C. So.. Gotta make her happy..
Bearing on clutch? Pull the pulley, press out the bearing, install new bearing...a good Napa store with a shop out back can do it in 20 minutes. cheap...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Air Conditioning/Heating · Next Topic »
Add Reply