Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
g10 head stud sets
Topic Started: Sep 12 2011, 06:01 PM (4,328 Views)
t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

guys, i'm stockpiling parts to build another turbo3 monster this winter to pass the time. i've been looking for studs for the head for years with no success, at least without breaking the bank.

i am commissioning a local fastener house to manufacture a set for me from high tensile strength stainless steel to fit the g10 block and head. these will be for the 89 thru 2000 g10 engines so that they will suit my turbo3 obsession. :D i'm also having them manufacture a2 stainless steel studs for the intake and exhaust manifolds for me. the head sets should come in around $125 - $150 and the manifold studs should be around a couple buck a piece (flange nuts under a buck per.)

when they are completed and i check them out, i may be able to satisfy custom orders for other guys. if you have any interest in a set of stainless steel studs for your engine, reply to this thread.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

$150 seems kind of high for eight head bolts. They better come with added incentive or no one will even think about buying them.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

dayle,

they aren't bolts, they are studs. threaded on both ends, one end screws into the block, the top is threaded to accept a flange nut and 2mm thick washer.

they are high tensile strength stainless steel, polished, shiny, never rust, and they're re-useable.

studs provide superior clamping force over bolts, something quite important for high compression and turbocharged engines. repeatedly puking head gaskets is no fun and studs pretty much solve that problem.

these are hand made by one guy in a small shop - not mass produced, heat treated, hand polished, and they are a custom order. the guy is likely to burn 6 hours making one set so after the cost of materials and heat treating he's probably not making all that much.

remember that i build hot rods, not happy cars, and what i use to build a g10 isn't your run of the mill hardware. if you want to go cheap, buy some bolts from parts dinosaur.

i didn't expect any interest except from the hard core performance guys and i could have just gotten my set and been done with it so don't kick me in the ass for offering help to acquire these. :ermm:

Scoobs
Member Avatar
:D

ill be interested in a set for sure :D

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

t3, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Heck, I didn't even consider they were for high end performance engines. I've never heard of such things. Seeing how you explained the performance these studs are engineered for, I can now see why they would cost so much. If some metro owners see these bolts as an added benefit to their engines, then I say, make a purchase on t3's recommendation. If you stand behind them then they must be good.

billy508
Member Avatar
billy508

Why Stainless? I am no fan of Stainless. What would be the advantage over a grade 8 stud? SS is about 100 to 120,000 psi tensile strength while a grade 8 is 150.000. Not trying to give you a hard time. Just wondering. I used to do a lot of very heavy rigging and Grade 8 was my preferred bolt of choice. But there maybe a advantage I am not aware of. Good luck on the build. Be sure to keep us posted. :banana :banana :banana

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

stainless steel has a fair amount of nickle in it and it won't corrode and bind into the threads in the aluminum block which makes it easier to remove the studs when servicing the head or block. i could have had them made from ferrous steel in grade 8 with black oxide plating but the expense is still in the labor and heat treating so there wasn't a big price difference.

while the tensile strength is important, the heat treated high tensile strength stainless alloy is plenty strong enough for this application.

did i say that they won't rust? :D they're hand polished and they will always look nice. remember that there are 4 of these right on the top front of the head. if people at car shows see rusty head bolts on a tricked out engine it plain turns them off. it's hard enough to get guys around here to take my 3 cylinder engines seriously as i live in the land of v8 engines. ^o)

the same goes for those manifold studs. i've built a number of engines and it bites when the regular hardware grows rust balls while you watch. painting the ends of those manifold studs during assembly makes them look okay for a while but soon enough, the exhaust manifold temperature burns the paint off and you're back to rust balls.

i ordered the manifold studs with allen head hexes in one end for installation, 8mm x 1.25 and 40mm long. i'll post pics after i pick up the parts and check the fitment.

Memphis metro

I would be interested in stainless exhaust studs! After a recent head jackup over rusted bolts :banghead

Deleted User
Deleted User

:thumb
Quote Post Goto Top

earthtoad

Just a Tad SALTY there T3.......But, what would a COMBO Set set us back ???.......Head/Main/Exhaust in one Pkg......Any Discount for Multiple Orders ??......Also, You being a Purist (and I APPRECIATE That !!).....Prolly Appreciate the Jewel-Like Aspects.....Most of us, Don't.......Anyway Many SINCERE Thanks for the Research.....Guys like You Keep Us Moving Forward... :thumb

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

here's an update on this.

the head studs are being fabricated from 17-4 stainless which has a tensile strength of 185,000 pounds. grade 8 is 160,000 pounds so the stainless is actually stronger.

i put together a full list of assembly fasteners for the g10t and added the handful of bolts that are different for a standard g10 excluding the throttle body. the list is comprehensive for the turbo3 and consists of 168 pieces in a2 stainless steel not including the intake and exhaust manifold studs or head studs.

168 piece engine assembly kit in a2 stainless steel allen socket heads including shipping in the lower 48 united states - $85

168 piece engine assembly kit in a2 stainless steel hex heads including shipping in the lower 48 united states - $85

pics to come.

28 piece intake and exhaust manifold studs in a2 stainless steel including shipping in the lower 48 united states - $50

24 piece head stud kit in 17-4 stainless steel (185,000 lb.) including shipping in the lower 48 united states - to be announced, expected to be around $130 including shipping. i won't know for sure until they are finished and picked up.

you won't know what it is to reach nirvana until you assemble a new short block engine that has been cleaned and painted using new, shiny bolts. :rocker
Edited by t3ragtop, Sep 17 2011, 12:04 AM.

Memphis metro

:news

Is there a complete set which includes mainfolds and headbolts and engine kit? Master kit so to speak!

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

not really a master set, but more like buying the 3 sets to build the master set. i've beat the poor guy like a red headed step kid to get his pricing to the minimum. :P

the head studs are labor intensive and he said that it's actually easier for him to make 5 sets than one at a time so there might be a little room there. the thing with that is arranging for 5 people to do it at the same time. i don't have the cash to buy 5 sets at a crack and wait for buyers. there's about a week's lead time for the head studs

i got the intake and exhaust manifold stud set and i paid for the head stud set which will come some time next week. when i get my next paycheck i'll pick up the engine assembly set. after that i'll order a second set of the head studs so i have enough to build the new mill and retrofit them to my current engine.

here's a pic of the intake and exhaust manifold stud set. 14 studs, 14 flange nuts.
Posted Image

Alpine
1020cc G10 GOML

thats sick, i always wanted fresh new sets of bolts for my entire engine :o

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Shiny!

Too bad I like black. :/ lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Tech and Tool Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply