Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to reattach rear window defrost wire?
Topic Started: Sep 15 2011, 07:24 PM (3,734 Views)
dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

The rear window defroster has two wires that run to the left side and the right side of the window. The wire attached to the left side of the window fell off. Now I don't have any defroster. How do I reattach it to the window?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
Geo Stalker

Maybe with some sort of metal conductive tape???
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

90metro
Sep 15 2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe with some sort of metal conductive tape???
I tried the trick that Bogs ALWAYS says works, duct tape. That approach DID NOT work.

Double sided metallic tape? Wonder if this product is available. :hmm

Shinrin
Member Avatar

Cut some aluminum strips from a soda, solder it together?

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Dealerships make a repair kit for this. Call around some parts stores and if you get the right guy, he might know.

bennie442

The repair is simple. Solder it back on. Lightly sand the mounting spot and the frit element to make sure that the solder will stick to the repair. When done, apply an epoxy type glue to add strength to the repair because the solder connection in and of itself will not be strong enough to withstand any type of stress.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

OK. But I've tried the old reliable solder iron. I could not get the right angle that would let the solder puddle. It hard to make the solder hold when you are upside down.

Is the soldering iron the correct tool, or should I break out the acetalene torch?

Old Man

Solder runs towards heat. Get inside. Close the hatch. hold the soldering iron above the work area. dont heat the iron first or it will get too hot. hold iron in place. hold solder in place. just as soon as solder starts running get the iron away.

If your soldering iron is too big then a good thing to work with is a burning iron from a hobby wood burning kit. They have a work area about 1/8 inch in diameter.

bennie442

Dayle1960, the torch is overkill! It may over heat the glass and crack it! I was able to do this with a solder iron. First apply solder to the glass where the terminal mounts. Then hold the terminal in place and heat the mount top to bottom, top to bottom, etc to build up heat. Start adding solder when the terminal gets hot enough while keeping the iron moving. Your torch method MAY work, but that much head scares me.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Body/Chassis/Interior · Next Topic »
Add Reply