Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Coolant Leak; coolant leaking from behind water pump.
Topic Started: Sep 28 2011, 11:22 AM (3,188 Views)
1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

New to forum,
I searched a little for the topic im about to post, but im still learning how this works...(this has probably been addressed before)

I bought a very neglected 2000 chevy metro 1.0L, im not going to list all the things ive done...you guys have already been there...heres the dealie-O.

Original water pump was leaking and time to replace. After the project was completed and leak checked...took the beast for a spin, when I checked again for leaks, i noticed a coolant weep BEHIND the pump...hard to see, but it looks like the supply into the pump (metal pipe that runs from the top radiator hose all the way around back to the pump) not a bad leak, but it bugs me...there is no reference to this in my haynes manual...did i miss something here? how do you fix this little gem? I attached a photo...taken from the back towrds the front of the car.

Posted Image
Edited by 1.0smallblock, Sep 30 2011, 07:28 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Welcome to the forum. Small block really does apply here :lol . You need a oring on your tube.

Posted Image

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

Without going into great detail about how to do the repair, there is an o ring on the tube. Remove the tube and replace the o ring. Hardware store o rings work well.

1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

okay...do you un-bolt the tube and pull it out from behind??? or will i have to remove the water pump again??

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

You do not have to remove the water pump. Unbolt from engine and snatch her out. I would clean up in the hole a little also while you have it out.

1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

whew!! okay, thanks a bunch...i didnt want to have to remove that pump again.

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

You might get lucky, mine was just missing one of the bolts. after I replaced it, it stopped leaking. The o-ring was fine. ^o)

1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

UPDATE...

for those intrested or with the same problem. this is what i did.

2000 chevy metro 1.0
i replaced the water pump, and found ANOTHER leak behind the pump housing. there is a metal supply tube that starts at the bottom radiator hose..( i typoed "top" in my earlier post. ) and runs all the way behind the engine...

Posted Image

to the backside of the water pump.
a simple o-ring seals this.

Posted Image

pretty easy to fix...i drained the coolant...disconnected the radiator hoses...and hoses (B) removed bolts (A) and (D)...(D) is kind of a pain, its in a tight area under the intake just above the starter.
then i wiggled the tube out....the bracket for (D) and the hose nipples (B) wanted to snag on any wiring, hose, and crevis on the way out, so alot of twisting and turnig the tube is in order.

i removed the thermostat...(one of those "while im in here" deals.)
and set it all on a table.

cleaned all the crap off the tube, thermostat housing and the hole behind the pump. inspected hoses, tube and housing for wear, cracks or anything else that would have me doing this again.

the o-ring goes on the end (C)
i replaced the o-ring seal (E) with GM part #9605-9933
and the thermostat (F) with NAPA part # 215 (the thermostat i removed looked NOTHING like the replacement and it didnt fit in there properly...i think some yahoo stuck whatever he picked out of a rummage bin in the hole and called it good, im suprised it didnt leak.)

then i eased the tube back in place, bolted it up...(D) was a major pain again..hooked up all the hoses, filled with antifreeze and no leak...(so far)...

maybe this will help someone else.

Posted Image

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

Very nice. Post #4, and your already posting "pacapo" quality material. I knew you would figure it out.

1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

thanks guys...i love these forums, i fly a Grumman AA-5A and im a member of a forum that pertains to those particular aircraft. the wealth of knowlege you can gain from these is incredible and easy...help is always a URL away....

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

You could have borrowed a condom from CB, Ryan, Bryan, or steved and that would have solved the problem, also. :D

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

dayle1960
Sep 29 2011, 03:23 PM
You could have borrowed a condom from CB, Ryan, Bryan, or steved and that would have solved the problem, also. :D
Not steved, his condoms must have holes in them! If they are in that bad a shape, I wouldnt even want the ring. I think his wife is expecting.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

enginedoctorgeo
Sep 29 2011, 03:24 PM
dayle1960
Sep 29 2011, 03:23 PM
Not steved, his condoms must have holes in them! If they are in that bad a shape, I wouldnt even want the ring. I think his wife is expecting.
I'm not sure steved knows how to make children. He can barely get a G10 into a metro. :P Cara is a wonderful gal. I hope everything works out well for steved and Cara.

1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

ah geeze....if i borrow one...i hope its still in its pakage, im not going to have time to rinse it out...im working on the metro...time consuming.

billy508
Member Avatar
billy508

Posted Image Nice. :thumb Take me for a ride? Just kidding. . :thumb :thumb :thumb

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply