Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Project "EcoMudder"; Geo Metro Mud Machine/ Bug Out Vehicle
Topic Started: Oct 1 2011, 04:55 PM (56,187 Views)
Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Posted Image

I got a rust-free 91 Metro 4 door with a 3 cylinder automatic with no title. I been wanting to do something like this for a long time :rocker

My full intention of this project is to keep the original drive train on this vehicle and make it a mud buggy capable of tackling the roughest terrain. Many of you know I mud my 4X4 truck at Yankee Lake Truck Night and even made the Season 1 Truck Night DVD.........

This project is starting with a 1991 4 door 3 cylinder automatic with a solid chassis...........

Posted Image

This car will be converted into a "pickup truck" complete with a roll bar and complete under body skid plate. It will look very similar to this image I found on the net as far as the body goes.........

Posted Image

I plan on running tall, aggressive ATV tires and need to come up with the proper combo for ground clearance and traction........

Posted Image

I have some time to do this project, so it will be a slow, but steady process.

Everyone is free to chime in with their ideas and suggestions to help me accomplish the task at hand.

Stay tuned!

I am also interested in sponsors if anyone is interested in sponsoring the project in any way possible.

So far the things needed would be................
Roll cage - Thanks Coyote X for the help!
A custom triple stack header - Thanks MM Products!
25x8x12 six ply ATV tires - Thanks Coyote X!
Spare auto trans - Still need!
Spare auto axles - Still need!
Control arms - Still need!

95+ Sedan springs - Done by me.
Engine parts - Thanks 3Tech!
Frame bracing - Thanks Turbine Tech!

This is going to be fun! Not only will this be a fun Mud Machine, it will make a great "Bug Out Vehicle" if the shit hits the fan :drivin

If you do not care to go through all the pages of the project, here is a "Start to Finish" Movie........

Edited by Johnny Mullet, Jul 14 2013, 06:28 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

doing the pick 'em up chop on a 5 door is more involved than the 2 door. the 2 door has a bigger c-pillar in the approximate new cab corner position doesn't it? then there are the rear doors to deal with.

this will be wild. give johnny a welder and he can entertain himself for hours. :D

here's my first suggestion. swap the rear knuckles and brake drums for late model parts. the mk2/3 cars have a tapered spindle that's weaker than the later models' straight spindle. i've seen the tapered spindles bend pretty bad. that did in a lot of those mini-truck conversions.

mcmancuso
Member Avatar

I've thought about this build, with the 5 door for the longer 'bed' area and shorter front doors. Good luck!
Edited by mcmancuso, Oct 1 2011, 05:52 PM.

billy508
Member Avatar
billy508

4 wheel drive!!! Stick another engine/trans in the rear. Tie the front and back together with a sub frame. I always want to do it. Just never have.......Even with 2 engines you would have but a 6 cylinder. Name? (6 the hard way!}!!!

offroadohio
[ *  * ]
Wow, lots of ohio folks here. Let alone to find another "wheeler" I dont do the mud stuff, im a trail/rock guy but this should be an interesting thread to watch.

I once had a lifted toyota wagon 4wd that I ran atv tires on.

metro_fiend
Member Avatar
where Geos come to die

atta boy johnny

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Can't wait to see this one come together :D

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

I got the garage cleaned out and stripped out what I needed from the 93 parts car. EcoMudder is officially in the garage and I am going to tear down the engine and rebuild it......

Posted Image

I am keeping it an automatic (still saved all the 5-speed conversion parts from parts car) and some of you may ask why. I only need 1st and second gear when mudding. Plus there are no shift rods or anything underneath that can get wasted on a rock and leave me stranded.

When the big boys get stuck, they need traction and RPM's to get unstuck. Holding a V-8 engine at 6-8K for long periods of time causes these larger displacement engines to break down in various ways. We all know the G10 is capable of 6-8k for long periods of time without worrying if the engine will break down :thumb

I am wanting to get the best top end power from this engine so I will have to contact 3Tech and see if he can offer me some advice on a cam /gear combo. I also need to grunt to break traction with the larger tires.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Head ripped off...........

Posted Image

Windows and hatch removed..........

Posted Image

Rear doors cut and stripped, ready to be welded shut..........

Posted Image

Scoobs
Member Avatar
:D

I would have left the back doors alone, kept them for spares and got some sheet metal to weld in instead. would have been lighter. :D
Edited by Scoobs, Oct 4 2011, 06:34 PM.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Johnny Mullet
Oct 2 2011, 02:25 PM
Holding a V-8 engine at 6-8K for long periods of time causes these larger displacement engines to break down in various ways.
You guys running BMW V8s that i don't' know about?

Wobblybob

Thought about your automatic the other day and your comment about 6 - 8000 rpms for long periods, (spinning those big mudder tires) and wondered about the transmission overheating.

Then I saw Woodie's comment in another post:

"To just drain the pan of an automatic, takes 1.6 quarts to refill. You have a small tranny cooler built into the radiator. Unless you're towing, racing, or spend a lot of time climbing mountains, that should be sufficient. If you feel you must have a cooler, they're generic, any cooler will do."

You probably had it on the list already but it sounds like there's a transmission cooler in your future. A big one!

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

I do need to relocate the radiator, so a tranny cooler will be added to the mix.

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

I don't exactly see a whole lot more material than a piece of sheet metal on that door! :lol
I know tranny coolers aren't that expensive, but check the junk yards for one. I like the Jeep ones. Long and skinny.

Man, this is gonna be a good one! :popcorn

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Any thoughts on ATV tires? Here are my options for a stock Metro 12" rim........

28x8x12
26x8x12

The 26" tires look about perfect to me. A Bombardier Can Am was in the shop and had the 26x8x12 tires on it and they looked about right. The 28 will give me more ground clearance, but will I be able to turn those tires in soupy mud?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply