Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Leaf Blower Turbo
Topic Started: Oct 14 2011, 07:27 PM (2,960 Views)
jousting jay
Member Avatar

I hear stories here and there about guys putting in a leaf blower under the hood to make a home made turbo, has anyone tried this on a Metro? Would it even work as a turbo?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Basically an, I hope, electric supercharger because a gas powered would be nuts. I want pictures. :banana

It sounds like they ar trying to ram more air into the combustion chamber, lean it out and let the ECM compensate by adding more fuel for a bigger bang.

They sell these on line and eBay for maybe $40? But the volume of air is small and they block the intake when not running.

I love my cold air induction - ram air. I am experimenting with removing it for a while to see how it reacts. Cold denser air is getting more air in the chamber. Still I'd think there would be a limit with the engine mapping and chamber volume.

Nothing beats cubic inches. :D
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Depends.

More than likely, no.

allmountain40
Member Avatar

Check this out.
http://www.gatorsuperchargers.net/photos/photos.htm

Don't waste money on the ebay desk fans. :smackface

Old Man

allmountain40
Oct 14 2011, 10:23 PM
Check this out.
http://www.gatorsuperchargers.net/photos/photos.htm

Don't waste money on the ebay desk fans. :smackface
this stuff has been around for years and years. I was young and foolish in 1953 and bought a similar product for my 49 Ford. Didnt work then----wont work now

KY Metro
Member Avatar

The Gator is the real thing - What you want is pressure, not volume. Think about a house fan. Lots of volume, very low pressure. Now think about a leaf blower. Lots of pressure, not so much volume. in a centrifugal blower, speed = pressure. Most fans spin relatively slowly. Get the Gator up to 10K and you will see some boost. I plan to build one for my next wood truck conversion. I'll let you know how well it works.

geostang

they dont work, electric turbos are in the works and they are bucks $$

cout
[ *  * ]
Try it and make a video.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

My girlfriend's dad tried it.
Edited by Coche Blanco, Dec 4 2012, 05:45 PM.

Hanuman

if you can stuff the air into the cylinder, it will work (assuming the computer can correctly compensate. high volume low pressure like a fan or leaf blower will give a mild boost, you will allow the combustion chamber to completely fill with air. to over fill you will need to compress the air some.......get a turbo from the pontiac model. also, you will need higher octane fuel too. bye bye fuel economy! hello performance. also if going electric....youll need better alternator for the increased demand. but i doubt electric will give any head yanking boost. a strong gas powered leaf blower might get 1-3 psi....lol you will need duct tape to make it all work i bet.......

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

:whistle :smackface

Hanuman

and a blue tarp. thats conforming with the standard in alaska at least.

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

Hanuman
Dec 2 2012, 08:35 PM
:rofl
Hans and I are laughing about the blue tarp.
Very Alaskan....right up there with duct tape.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Jittney
Dec 2 2012, 08:56 PM
Hanuman
Dec 2 2012, 08:35 PM
:rofl
Hans and I are laughing about the blue tarp.
Very Alaskan....right up there with duct tape.
Alaska is not very different from Alabama...

mecevans
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In my engine performance class we did this. Honda civic 1.6 non vetec with a very expensive leaf blower gained 5 HP below 3k. After 3k rpm power was lost due to out flowing the blower. Adding an intercooler to the engine alone with a dry ice basket added 15hp.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply