Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1997 geo metro lsi turns over but wont start
Topic Started: Nov 15 2011, 01:34 PM (1,790 Views)
0din
[ *  * ]
I am having a weird issue with my car, I will drive down the free way 70mph and i will take my foot off the gas and the engine will stall out, i wait till im down to 55- 60 mph and start it back up again fine. it will do this more often going up hill with high rpm and looses most power, more often than not stalling out, switching gears. It feels like the car is running out of gas. even with a full tank. Yesterday I was driving and got to a stop sign, stopped, when into first then second and engine lost power and hasen't started since. I thought this issue was a fuel filter, i changed that this morning and it still wont hold a start up. If i put starting fluid in the air filter ( not spraying the air filter) and it will turn over and sound like its about to idle but it dies within seconds. battery is fully charged and on a charger. would an alternator be a problem? fuel pump? I have replaced the spark plugs they are quad tipped and don't require to be spaced, im not sure where to start checking. someone posted similar issues and they unplugged the MAP sensor and said car was fine after that, anyone know where that is for my model? thanks for you help i appreciate it =) if you need more info i'll be checking this very periodically, My car is a 5 speed manual, 4 cylinder, 1.3 liter, fuel injected, with 111,000 miles on it.
Edited by 0din, Nov 15 2011, 01:39 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

coleman
[ *  * ]
Do you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to the on position?

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Is the check engine light on? If so get it scanned and post codes here. If not it's fuel system. Hooking an inline fuel pressure tester to it and taping it to the windshield while driving will verify pressure drop from a bad pump. If pressure maintains 30-45 then the injector or injector wiring is the culprit.

Woodie
Member Avatar

My guess would be injector.

0din
[ *  * ]
ok yeah there is a little buzz but im not shir if its pumping anything, it wont start so i cant run any test on it, if i put a tiny little bit of starter fluid, im mean just a tap, it starts and runs for a second then dies, i think its fuel pump, and so does my friends dad, and i had a friend just had the same problem and she replaced her fuel pump and its fine. also i replaced the fuel filter and the manual said it auto pressurized, since the car hasent been able to run would this be an issue with it somehow?
Edited by 0din, Nov 17 2011, 03:19 AM.

crankcase

Harbor Freight has a fuel injection pump tester on sale now (have to do your own quality control, so keep your ticket) for 19.99, plus there is a 20% coupon around.
I think it might work for what you need, but I confess I've never tried one.
I vote injector/injector wireing, especially if you hear the whrrrr when you turn the key (on, but no in crank).

At your own peril, you may be able to disconnect the fuel line and see if you can catch catch some gas from it in a can when the key to the on position (whrrr=pressurizing the line). It could spray a mist of gas when you disconnect it so be careful (fire, eyes, fire, fire, ect).
Edited by crankcase, Nov 17 2011, 04:26 AM.

0din
[ *  * ]
what about fuel pressure regulator? would that keep my car from starting, also, do you have to prime the fuel filter after replacing it, or is the fuel pump supposed to do that? what about fuel pump relay? is there a bad sensor that could also be doing this?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply