Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to Change Manual Transmission Fluid; So easy that, “. . . my mom or great grandmother could . . . with their good arm tied behind their back."
Topic Started: Dec 1 2011, 03:02 AM (13,025 Views)
Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

WARNING!

If your speedometer gear housing will not come out with minimal effort, don't force it. Otherwise, you'll end up in the same situation as this guy. There is an "official" transmission filler on the side of the transmission.

http://geometroforum.com/single/?p=754875&t=4770979

Every so often the transmission fluid, or transmission (another time, and another story) need to be changed.

Gather the necessary tools and fluids.

A drain pan.
A 3/8" drive ratchet.
3 quarts of your favorite flavor of transmission fluid. (2 1/2 quarts required)
A 12", 3/8 drive extension.
A 10mm, 6 point socket.
A funnel.
Paper towels.

Place the drain pan below the plug in the bottom of the transmission.

Posted Image

Remove the drain plug using the 3/8" drive ratchet.

Posted Image

Quickly grab the camera and take a picture of the transmission fluid as it drains into the pan.

Posted Image

Now that you have the drain plug in your hand, examine what the magnet has caught. :shit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The transmission drain plug is nice and clean, ready to reinstall. ^o)

Posted Image

While you're waiting for the transmission fluid to drain, check for leaks. :'(

The 5th gear cover.

Posted Image

The driver's side drive axle seal.

Posted Image

The main case half seal.

Posted Image

The passenger's side axle seal.

Posted Image

The shifter rod seal.

Posted Image

Check the cat. :wub:

Posted Image

Once the transmission fluid has finished draining, reinstall the drain plug.

Posted Image

Now, it's time to install the new fluid. :beer

Posted Image

Insert the 3/8" drive into the fill plug in the side of the transmission. When it doesn't turn because it's been rusted in place, get out the torch. When that doesn't work, weld a bolt in the plug and get out an impact wrench.

Forget about the fill plug on the side of the transmission. The technical writers were finished writing the manual before production began. They actually had to go back and rework the first 180,000 transmissions to add a fill plug before they were delivered. Believe that? I've got a bridge to sell you . . . :deal

The easiest way that I have found to service a manual transmission with fluid is through the opening for the speedometer drive. :hmm

Using a 3/8" drive ratchet, a 12" 3/8" extension, and a 10mm socket, remove one 6mm bolt that retains the speedometer drive housing into the transmission.

Posted Image

There is no need to remove the speedometer cable from the housing. Pull gently on the housing. It will come right out. Do not pull on the cable. If you do, push it back together, and don't tell anyone. It will probably work. Mine did. :-/

Posted Image

Right in the middle of the picture is the hole that the speedometer cable housing goes in. It's also where the transmission fluid goes in. Now, if 1.0smallblock gets these pictures modified with circles and arrows in accordance with the standards established at Alice's Restaurant, I will gladly edit this Topic. :popcorn

Posted Image

Insert the funnel into the hole in the top of the transmission.

Posted Image

Pour in the transmission fluid. 2 1/2 quarts.

Posted Image

In case you're wondering, this is what the full level looks like. It's easy enough to check, and recommended to do so if you have any leaks. By the way, it's highly recommended to replace the axle seals prior to installation of the new fluid, if they need to be replaced. No leaks? Leave them alone. Trust me. The shifter shaft seal, and the input seal replacement require removal and disassembly of the transmission.

My shifter shaft seal is leaking a little bit. My fluid level was full. I'd say this is an acceptable leak rate.

Posted Image

Reinstall the speedometer drive housing. It will slip right in.

Check to see if the cat is still in the car.

I now yield the Topic to the Members of the Geo Metro Forum.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

captain1.0

My great grandmother used to change hers. I did not think you were a pennzoil man. You might want to add to the required tools a wrench (depending on what transmission you have).

^o)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

clarkdw

Great how to GG. Definite sticky. :congrats

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Very nicely detailed :)

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

I like it! :thumb Thanks for the book mark.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

I want to know why I need to check the cat while I'm draining the tranny oil??????? Seems a bit un-necessary, unless the cat has some blow-by on the back end.

Nice write up, GG.

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

My shifter shaft seal leaks as well. That's a bummer that the entire transmission must be disassembled to service it :(

Scoobs
Member Avatar
Decal Vendor

toss the cat, sell it, do whatever, you dont need the cat here in Arkansas :P they never we're any good for paint jobs.... lmao

captain1.0

Steved82971
Dec 1 2011, 08:57 PM
toss the cat, sell it, do whatever, you dont need the cat here in Arkansas :P they never we're any good for paint jobs.... lmao
Arkansas must not have many chinese restaurants.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Scoobs
Member Avatar
Decal Vendor

actually, theres 3 that i know of in mountain home, wanna talk about a dunkin donuts, now there aint one of those in arkansas....

TheKid
Member Avatar

Great 'How To' Geo Glen... :rocker

Just a week late for me, but a definite re-do for me this weekend.

ps: the cat-talytic converter aid in emission ^o)

clarkdw

Steved82971
Dec 1 2011, 09:00 PM
actually, theres 3 that i know of in mountain home, wanna talk about a dunkin donuts, now there aint one of those in arkansas....
You will definitely live longer by never entering a Dunkin Donut shop. ^o)

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

The shift seal can be replaced without cracking the transmission.
See this for more info.
:hmm Now that a few days have gone by, I would try it in the car, if a 'bandage' didn't work. :smackface
Though I would rig something to hold the back half of the yoke in place as I removed the shaft.
Repositioning the half yoke was tough....even on the bench.

Way

You forgot the vinyl gloves to keep the oil off your hands. Now you're going to have to get another manicure.. :P

It being December, it might be a good idea to put the Synchromesh over a heater duct or some such, warm it up and then it will flow a lot faster when it comes time for refilling.

I wonder if you could microwave it for a few seconds? :hmm Sounds like a job for Coche Blanco ^o)

tletterm
[ *  * ]
That worked awesome just did it today took about 15 min, great post.

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply