Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How do you know if your strut mounts are bad?
Topic Started: Dec 5 2011, 01:20 PM (5,113 Views)
armygrunt23
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I can grab the strut mount and feel a little play when I pull on it hard.

This is on the passenger side that has been in an accident (very light front fender damage).

I do not see any visible bent parts in on the passenger side, although the car does shake pretty bad and there is a loud metal to metal sound when accelerating at around 60 mph or while taking sharp left turns at 45 mph or over. I am thinking the metal to metal may have something to do with the tie rods, the car's steering wonders pretty bad when taking left hand turns (leads me to believe the pass side tie rod is shot).

Since I will be in there tearing the tie rods apart and will need an alignment afterwards, I would also like to get the strut mount replaced as well while I am there. I am just unsure if it is bad or not.

Thanks Guys!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

crankcase

Most struts are pretty well gone on these cars, assuming they are originals.

As far as I know, you will have to take it apart and inspect for broken or bent parts to do a good check of the mount/head of the strut. There are well documented methods to check the strut itself.

On the strut jobs I have done, I have found the think spacers (or washers) broken in the mount.

geodad
DIY Mechanic
[ *  * ]
Your metal to metal could be your wheel bearings. I've already had to replace mine with the same sound. Strut mounts can go bad slowly. I just replaced two of them on another of my vehicles, but the symptom was that when I turned there would be a clunking sound which was the spring jumping on the mount because it wouldn't turn. Hope that helps!

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

I had to replace mine (inspection) they are not cheap for what they are.

to test them is pretty easy jack the car up

LIFT the tire up and down. if it CLUNKS up and down check them more closely

shine a light up into the strut tower so you can see the strut mount and do the lift again. you will see the mount "MOVE" when it clunks. if it moves time to replace it.

armygrunt23
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
thanks guys, if it ever get about freezing here soon I will test them out and see if they are bad or not.

You guys are the shit

TimmyD
Member Avatar
A Metro Driver

I think the strut is bad on my driver's side - the chits is, I just replaced all of em in February...~10,000 miles.

....would Monroes go bad that fast?

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

Normally no, however I've had defective parts before. As you said, you replaced all of them, 1 has failed, I'd suspect it was defective.

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Monroes don't have the same reputation as KYBs. I installed KYB struts back in 2006(?) and have not had any problems, although I don't have more than 80,000 miles on them. Got them on eBay for about $150?

Removing the strut is easy, armygrunt23. The only special tool was some spring compressors from Harbor Freight. HarborFreight.com/spring+compression. Torquing the bolts/nuts to proper spec. is recommended.

I took it all apart, greased the bearings and assembled it with the same orientation as I took it apart. Mark the position of the top 3-bolt plate and the spring. This might be a good time to lower the car 1/2 round on the springs for better handling and less body roll, if you are so inclined. :-/
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply