Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to tell if gas station has 10% ethanol
Topic Started: Dec 31 2011, 08:21 PM (4,321 Views)
Horn

Do gas stations have to have the sticker saying it has ethanol. I think I found one without. I asked the workers and of corse they didnt know
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

me and my metro

Some stations here have premium without ethanol and they advertise that fact. It costs at least 20 cents per gallon more than their E-10 premium. I think most boats and the chain saws like this better.

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

horn12007
Dec 31 2011, 08:21 PM
Do gas stations have to have the sticker saying it has ethanol. I think I found one without. I asked the workers and of corse they didnt know
Is it on this site by chance? http://pure-gas.org/

If you find out it is ethonal free, add it to the site, inquiring minds want to know!! :D

Shinrin
Member Avatar

I was under the impression that they had to have the sticker if they used any percent of ethanol, not sure though.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

depends on the state. NJ and PA I believe are required not all are required to post.

to determine if you have ethanol present is VERY easy. you need a nice tall skinny container (think test tube)

add some WATER to it (half way) and use a sharpie to draw a line where the water line is.

NOW add gasoline to it (the other half)

shake it up.

if the line stays put you have pure gas. if the line moves up you have ethanol gas.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

First, I put 10 cc of fuel in a graduated cylinder.

Posted Image

Then, I add 10 cc of water. I do not shake. The ethanol will come out of solution with the gasoline and go into solution with the water.

Posted Image

Wait a few minutes, and look at the secondary menescus. The lower liquid is water and ethanol. The upper liquid is fuel.

Posted Image

Do the math.

Yes, Nerys, this is E57. It runs just fine in my car. 39.8 MPG average over 1759.5 miles.

This was the first time I used this graduated cylinder. There was a dead bug in the bottom that's floating around the top of the ethanol/water.

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

Federal Law says that all fuel pumps have to be marked if they have ethanol in them.
That there is ethanol and the percentage.
IE:
This fuel contains ethanol 10%. E-10
or
This fuel contains 85% ethanol. E-85

for ethanol free gas, look to your suppliers of boats.
We have a couple of marinas here that sell E free gas for the boaters and will allow you to fill 2 ea. 5gal. cans at the dock pump. It is expensive though.

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

metroschultz
Jan 1 2012, 09:07 AM
Federal Law says that all fuel pumps have to be marked if they have ethanol in them.
IE:
or

We have a couple of marinas here that sell E free gas for the boaters and will allow you to fill 2 ea. 5gal. cans at the dock pump. It is expensive though.
I would like to add to your comment for those that are unaware.
The numbers that you see on the pump do not garauntee that your getting that much ethanol, that is the "UP TO" amount.
Here in Minnesota our E-85 is testing out at about 60% right now.

clarkdw
Member Avatar

metroschultz
Jan 1 2012, 09:07 AM
IE:
or

It is state legislated (or not).

Quote from this link. http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

Quote:

Warning: Gas pump labeling when ethanol is added is NOT required in the following states:

California, District of Columbia - DC, Indiana - In, Kansas - KS, Kentucky - KY,
Maryland - MD, Michigan - MI, Minnesota - MN, Missouri - MO, Nevada - NV,
* New Hampshire - NH (see details) - New Jersey - NJ, Ohio - OH.

*NH: We have inquired several times over the years and NH DES states "no specific labeling required but pump labeling encouraged"- In 2011 NH seeks to BAN corn ethanol in gas - See HB 374.

Caution: The following states sometimes require labeling, often dependent on percent of ethanol alcohol added:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia.

Edit: In Ontario I have been unable to find labeling requirements. I suspect it is NOT required. I have seen several stations that have E10 gas for sure and no labeling. If you are willing to do the required digging then asking for a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the specific station may get you the information on Ethanol content, at least in the "up to X percent". All fuel suppliers are required to have up to date MSDS and it does indicate Ethanol content range.
The American MSDS site for Shell doesn't work. Here is the can one and a list of the Gases they sell here . Just click on gasoline from the dropdown and search. https://services.shell.ca/llutilsp/searchMSDS/Search.do

Edited by clarkdw, Jan 1 2012, 10:26 AM.

iamgeo
Member Avatar
Is that a fact....or just a rumor?

Geo Glenn
Jan 1 2012, 01:58 AM
First, I put 10 cc of fuel in a graduated cylinder.

Posted Image

Then, I add 10 cc of water. I do not shake. The ethanol will come out of solution with the gasoline and go into solution with the water.

Posted Image

Wait a few minutes, and look at the secondary menescus. The lower liquid is water and ethanol. The upper liquid is fuel.

Posted Image

Do the math.

Yes, Nerys, this is E57. It runs just fine in my car. 39.8 MPG average over 1759.5 miles.

This was the first time I used this graduated cylinder. There was a dead bug in the bottom that's floating around the top of the ethanol/water.

Was the test sample of gas from an E-10 or E-85 labeled pump?
Edited by iamgeo, Jan 1 2012, 11:53 AM.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

iamgeo
Jan 1 2012, 11:51 AM
Geo Glenn
Jan 1 2012, 01:58 AM

Was the test sample of gas from an E-10 or E-85 labeled pump?
This is a Geo Glenn custom blend. I tried to use 60/40 E85 to E10. I would test to see what the actual E content was. There's no telling how much ethanol is in the fuel without testing.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Whats your timing set at on E57?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horn

Its not on the pure gas website. I am located in illinois and I got it at a road ranger station. I have seen very very few stations that dont have it added. I did fill my tank with it and I am getting better mpgs per tank so far than last tank...BUT. i just added an air damn blocker on the front of my geo. I dont live in the town so idk if I will do the fuel test u guys are talking about. Around my area they try to be sneaky with the sticker but I searched high and low and on all sides and no sign of it

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

Coche Blanco
Jan 1 2012, 02:11 PM
Whats your timing set at on E57?
8 degrees.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

39mpg OUCH I could not afford a 20mpg loss. that would cost me a fortune.

667g versus 1010g

a 343 gallon per year increase in consumption. IE an increase of $1114.75 a year.

so unless your getting that gas for a WHOLE HECK of a lot cheaper (say for nearly HALF the cost of regular E10 gas) its just not worth it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply